• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is no offense to anyone whatsoever. So please do not take it as such. Everyone can do as they wish with their wild game.

I do believe that some folks put more into some things related to game meat that need be and/or what is necessary. I give you an example. I had a brother (sibling) that told me I was making a big mistake by not cutting out the windpipe on a fresh killed deer. He contended that it should be done almost immediately after field dressing. Reason why? He stated that some Native American friend of his told him that if this was not done, it will result in bad tasting meat. Righhhht.

Another one that some people adhere to is they won’t hunt early bow deer season due to the heat and concern that the meat will spoil too fast or before they can get it butchered or in a fridge. This also goes for early squirrel season. This is another fallacy. As long as some common sense, precautionary measures are taken, it’s not going to hurt the meat. Sure you want to cool the meat down as much as practicable for the conditions, but in terms of deer, as long as the guts are removed, saw that hip area between the legs open, prop open the rib cage (a stick will do) then keep the legs spread open and apart, keep the deer out of direct sunlight, the meat will be fine until you can get it to a facility to skin it and quartered up then in a cooler.

I’ve never once lost any meat nor had bad tasting meat by doing so. Now keep in mind that I live in KY where the mercury and humidity can be way up there the beginning of September. Just do a good job of field dressing and use some common sense.

There is more but you get the point.

Now, with that said, the way I see it with the glands thing is, it’s not a factor. Never once in my entire life, and I’ve been hunting for over 50 years, have I noticed any bad taste and I’ve never heard of such a thing until now. Perhaps I don’t know any better because I’ve never eaten squirrel or rabbit that had those glands removed? Perhaps there actually is a difference in taste?

However, I will do this. As a test, I just happen to have several prime test subjects in my fridge at this very moment. Also, considering my plans are to go out on another hunt today, if I’m lucky enough to get another squirrel or two, I’ll certainly have more to do a comparison test. One pan will have squirrels with those glands removed, the other will be like I’ve always done, glands in. I will cook them up identical, same times, same ingredients. May not be today but it will get done.

I may or may not be eating some humble pie on this. If I do, being an honest person, I’ll darn sure post it either way.

Sound fair?
Not sure about the Native American thing, but a professional butcher we knew said the windpipe is loaded with bacteria, and should be removed when field dressing. I don't split the ribs in the field, I go from the bottom of the rib cage. I do go through the diaphragm and up the neck as far as I can reach and get as much windpipe out as I can. I don't split the pelvis either, I cut out the tater hole and tie it off so no milk duds go back into the body cavity, and everything comes out at once. As far as squirrels, I was taught to remove the glands as a little fella. Like a lot of things in life, other folks's MMV.

That’s what I’ve done for years, get the animals out of the woods, skin and quartered up in the fridge ASAP.

Squirrels doesn't matter as much. The main thing is to keep them apart and not bunched together. Keep them where there is air flow.

Due to the fact that I much prefer to pack light during squirrel hunts, at one time I was keeping a cooler with ice in it either in my truck or on my ATV. I would periodically go back and put the squirrels into that cooler. However, after reading Tom’s (Snakebit) postings about carrying a couple of smaller frozen water bottles, I have adopted that policy. It works well but yesterday I got a reminder of just why I dislike packing a smaller day pack on my back. That back pack got hung up a couple of different times in brush. One time was when I was trying to get a bead on a squirrel up in a tree nearly directly over me. I was standing next to a tree and every time I tried to raise my Crockett to my shoulder, and move over a tad, that darn back pack got hung on a branch of a smaller maple sapling behind me. I finally reached into my possibles bag, pulled out my small pruning shears, and tried to quietly cut the branch. However, it was kind of thick and it did make some noise when it cut through. Yes, the squirrels did hear it because they all paused from cutting hickory nuts for a couple of minutes.

There’s also the heat factor whenever a back pack is on my back when it’s this hot and humid out. Combined with a possibles bag, the heat buildup can be annoying.

However, I noticed that it didn’t take long for flies to find the three squirrels that I had laying on the ground. So, indeed, Tom had a good idea about using frozen ice bottles in a back pack to keep the flies off of dead squirrels. It’s the worst trying to squirrel hunt with a hundred flies getting all over your dead squirrels that’s hanging from your side. In fact, it flat ruins a hunt. I got burned out on continuously using my hat to fan the flies away from my dead squirrels hanging on my side. It’s no way to enjoy yourself during a squirrel hunt.

So, until cooler weather arrives, it’s going to be my trusty back pack with a couple of frozen water bottles in it for this ole boy. Thank you, Tom, for the advice.
You bet ol buddy. Just one of the many tricks I picked up in my feral days.

Not sure about the Native American thing, but a professional butcher we knew said the windpipe is loaded with bacteria, and should be removed when field dressing. I don't split the ribs in the field, I go from the bottom of the rib cage. I do go through the diaphragm and up the neck as far as I can reach and get as much windpipe out as I can. I don't split the pelvis either, I cut out the tater hole and tie it off so no milk duds go back into the body cavity, and everything comes out at once. As far as squirrels, I was taught to remove the glands as a little fella. Like a lot of things in life, other folks's MMV.
You do all that same things in do. That's what I was taught and picked up over the years

With the early season deer and in other states... even just a real warm gun week.

I noticed the Flys are more the problem.

Even gun season in NC.. the guys there hung them all week and it was cool enough. But they skinned them and hung them like that too. there was always a fly around them not allot but always some.

Yea that fly you keep seeing is laying eggs.
If you make a solution of lemon juice and finely ground black pepper, it will keep flies off your meat.

This is no offense to anyone whatsoever. So please do not take it as such. Everyone can do as they wish with their wild game.

I do believe that some folks put more into some things related to game meat that need be and/or what is necessary. I give you an example. I had a brother (sibling) that told me I was making a big mistake by not cutting out the windpipe on a fresh killed deer. He contended that it should be done almost immediately after field dressing. Reason why? He stated that some Native American friend of his told him that if this was not done, it will result in bad tasting meat. Righhhht.

Another one that some people adhere to is they won’t hunt early bow deer season due to the heat and concern that the meat will spoil too fast or before they can get it butchered or in a fridge. This also goes for early squirrel season. This is another fallacy. As long as some common sense, precautionary measures are taken, it’s not going to hurt the meat. Sure you want to cool the meat down as much as practicable for the conditions, but in terms of deer, as long as the guts are removed, saw that hip area between the legs open, prop open the rib cage (a stick will do) then keep the legs spread open and apart, keep the deer out of direct sunlight, the meat will be fine until you can get it to a facility to skin it and quartered up then in a cooler.

I’ve never once lost any meat nor had bad tasting meat by doing so. Now keep in mind that I live in KY where the mercury and humidity can be way up there the beginning of September. Just do a good job of field dressing and use some common sense.

There is more but you get the point.

Now, with that said, the way I see it with the glands thing is, it’s not a factor. Never once in my entire life, and I’ve been hunting for over 50 years, have I noticed any bad taste and I’ve never heard of such a thing until now. Perhaps I don’t know any better because I’ve never eaten squirrel or rabbit that had those glands removed? Perhaps there actually is a difference in taste?

However, I will do this. As a test, I just happen to have several prime test subjects in my fridge at this very moment. Also, considering my plans are to go out on another hunt today, if I’m lucky enough to get another squirrel or two, I’ll certainly have more to do a comparison test. One pan will have squirrels with those glands removed, the other will be like I’ve always done, glands in. I will cook them up identical, same times, same ingredients. May not be today but it will get done.

I may or may not be eating some humble pie on this. If I do, being an honest person, I’ll darn sure post it either way.

Sound fair?
I'm not saying that its a bad taste. Its just a slightly stronger "musky" taste. I don't mind it at all, but my wife hates it.

I never heard of that either. Do they follow the skin off or do they have to be dealt with separately?

I'm like @ETipp in that it's never been a problem but irregardless, now I'm going to have to find them and remove. 🤣
It is in that little pocket under the arms kind of like a lymph node.

You do all that same things in do. That's what I was taught and picked up over the years
I think we all taught/learn a little bit different. Like my FIL, he would slit a deer from tater hole to chin when he field dressed. When he saw how I did it, he was full of questions. His way got a ton of dirt and leaves and what not when dragging. He also didn't process his own. That's why we never split the pelvis or the ribs in the field, we were going to do that when we hung it to cut it up anyway. But like the old saying goes, more than one way to skin a cat😉

I'm not saying that its a bad taste. Its just a slightly stronger "musky" taste. I don't mind it at all, but my wife hates it.
Can honestly say I've never tasted any with it left in it. Anyplace I've ever eaten squirrel either I killed it, or a relative did, and we were all taught by the same 2 old timers (grandad and pop).

Just got in from another hunt. I shot one squirrel and left it where it hit for two hours while I remained stationary. When I went to pick up the squirrel when I was leaving, I was surprised to find that it had about 15 yellow jackets on it but only a couple of flies. I couldn’t believe there were so many yellow jackets on the head of that squirrel. I shot half of the head off so I didn’t mind the yellow jackets being on that part of the squirrel. What I did mind was trying to get it away from them without being stung. It’s cooler out today with light breeze and overcast so perhaps that’s why there were hardly any flies this time.

Just got in from another hunt. I shot one squirrel and left it where it hit for two hours while I remained stationary. When I went to pick up the squirrel when I was leaving, I was surprised to find that it had about 15 yellow jackets on it but only a couple of flies. I couldn’t believe there were so many yellow jackets on the head of that squirrel. I shot half of the head off so I didn’t mind the yellow jackets being on that part of the squirrel. What I did mind was trying to get it away from them without being stung. It’s cooler out today with light breeze and overcast so perhaps that’s why there were hardly any flies this time.
Ol Decapitator struck again🤣

Tom, splitting the pelvis helps cool down the meat faster when you keep the legs apart. I find it absolutely necessary here during early bow season especially when it’s hot out.

However, I do that every time regardless, clean out everything then rinse it out with water from my canteen. Personally, I want everything gone especially all the poop and poop chute, on the spot.

I also saw the brest bone up to the neck meat, reach up as far as I can and cut out the lower windpipe. All on the spot day or night. By the time I drag the critter up these hills here, by doing the above, there’s little to no blood nor anything else inside the cavity.

In terms of the windpipe, It’s never caused me any issues but I’m not one to hang meat. Seldom does a deer hang overnight unless it’s pretty darn cool out. They get skinned, quartered up and put in the fridge ASAP.

If the windpipe does cause bad things, I haven’t noticed it. But that’s just me, bro.

I had a brother (sibling) that told me I was making a big mistake by not cutting out the windpipe on a fresh killed deer. He contended that it should be done almost immediately after field dressing. Reason why? He stated that some Native American friend of his told him that if this was not done, it will result in bad tasting meat. Righhhht.
I was told that same thing by my dad when I was a kid. It never made a lot of sense to me but I do as @ETipp Does and split em all the way up to the throat and saw through the pelvis before pulling any guts out. Cut the windpipe as far up as possible and ya got a handle to pull the lungs out. Everything comes out including the colon before it gets cut off.

our bow and ml seasons are in September so days can be very hot. But nights can be very cold. We get a deer to camp asap and pull the skin off and get it into cloth bags. It's plenty cool by morning and we can put it in coolers with ice if we will be hunting for a few days.
Yea that fly you keep seeing is laying eggs.
That's always my main concern. If it's warm there WILL be eggs on the meat. When it's hung and dry we hit it with a torch with one of those heat shrink blasters on it. You can hear the eggs popping and any hair still on it gets burned off.
If you make a solution of lemon juice and finely ground black pepper, it will keep flies off your meat.
I never heard about that. Think it would work pretty good. What I was told in AK is that the local practice is to keep citic acid powder and a spray bottle. Mix the powder with water and spray the entire carcass and keep it hung and dry. Said to defeat the flies.

One group I hunted with used a butcher when they hunted as a group. They split all the meat and all equally..

They decided on the butcher for a couple reasons.

There all picky in some way.

No one wanted to be the one in charge of it.

Like.... If it was short on meat they blame the butcher not someone in the group thing.

It was simple it didn't matter who did the butcher job. Someone wouldn't be happy so.

Everyone split the bill. Split the meat.

Done..

Heck, I always use a local deer processor guy. I just drive up, hang it in his front cooler, fill out a tag with what I want done and twist tie it to the antlers, and he calls me when ready. All wrapped in trays and ready for the freezer. Well worth it to me - I'm lazy.

One group I hunted with used a butcher when they hunted as a group. They split all the meat and all equally..

They decided on the butcher for a couple reasons.

There all picky in some way.

No one wanted to be the one in charge of it.

Like.... If it was short on meat they blame the butcher not someone in the group thing.

It was simple it didn't matter who did the butcher job. Someone wouldn't be happy so.

Everyone split the bill. Split the meat.

Done..
Heck, I always use a local deer processor guy. I just drive up, hang it in his front cooler, fill out a tag with what I want done and twist tie it to the antlers, and he calls me when ready. All wrapped in trays and ready for the freezer. Well worth it to me - I'm lazy.
I don’t want to sound too calloused but the facts are, I don’t want anyone touching my wild game meat. Also, I do not trust processors at all. Out of all my life hunting and killing critters, only one deer did I take in. When I went to pick it up, they came out with a small box of meat. Never again.

I absolutely know how my wild game has been handled. The wife and I do it all ourselves.

Last edited:
Back