• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to thank JimK and ETipp for the use of the coning tool. I read about and watched videos on coning the muzzle. Not quit sure I wanted to do it or not. After reading more about it and talking to Ed, I decided to give it a try.
Following the instructions, that, Joe Woods Included it a very simple process. I coned it last Sunday and shot it today.
The accuracy was a concern of mine, trusting the results of others I found out it did not effect my rifle in accuracy.
It was nice to just thumb the dall and patch into the muzzle and go straight to the ramrod and send her home. If your thinking about I suggest you do it, with no worries about the accuracy.

Thank you Jimk.
Thank you ETipp.
Fellow forum members helping each other. 😉👍

Take Care Stay Safe

GSML
Now you can get a good night's sleep Fred!

Things are looking promising. Took the dog for a walk in the woods a few minutes ago. The pictures are in the backyard right at the edge of my woods. The scene is the same all the way back as far as we walked. Looks like an acorn explosion.
Looks like it’s time to grab your squirrel rifle and get after them. I’m amazed at how fast squirrels can decimate nut crops.

The ones on Fox squirrels are bigger. They are in the same areas on both. The ones under the front legs are more noticeable, grayish booger looking things that sometimes come off when you take the hide off. The back ones are under the skin. On the back legs, behind the knee, run your knife longways behind the knee. You can't miss it. As far as eating Fox squirrels, those jokers definitely get the pressure pot treatment, if not it's like trying to eat an old leather shoe.

I'd take pictures, but my hands are kinda messy when breaking them down.
Thank you, Tom. That wont be necessary. I’ve already watched a couple of videos on how to find those glands and cut them out, both front and rear. I did find them, or what was left of the glands on the rear legs. Most were no more than a glob. I’m pretty sure that the time to remove them (if one is concerned about them) is during the cleaning process. I do believe that after they have been soaked in salt water for 4-6 days, those glands are reduced to nearly nothing, as the recent experience has shown. It may or may not be a factor in taste.

By chance a neighbor friend called yesterday afternoon. He is from eastern KY area and was a big time squirrel hunter for many years. I asked him about the squirrel gland thing. His reply was that he had never heard of such. He also stated that he will not eat a fox squirrel due to their strong odor.

Again this leads me to believe that the gland issue might have more to do with fox squirrels than with gray squirrels. However, I cannot prove that, just yet anyway.

I do know that my wife fried up a bunch of squirrel meat yesterday evening for dinner. It was mixed in between the ones that had what was left of the glands removed and the ones untouched. It all tasted great to us.

Squirrel meat is darn tasty if prepared properly. Thank you for the idea of getting one of those smaller pressure cooker’s. It made all the difference for fried squirrels. Smoked is still my favorite but it requires much more time. The rewards are there in the end, however.

I really need to hammer down on bow hunting until I get at least a couple of deer in the freezer. However. As soon as I can, I hope to bring in a couple of squirrels and do a more accurate test, in terms of glands.

Last edited:
My thinking is that in order to get the most accurate results, it would be best to remove the glands before soaking and aging in salt water in the fridge. The legs with the glands still in will be soaked in a separate pan. The two different batches will be cooked separately.
I like your application of the scientific method. Looking forward to the results. I for one want to be assured that I need not search for those miniscule glands. 🤣
That target says it all. You got you a squirrel Killin machine.

Headed up to the elk country with my bow this afternoon and for sure am going to pick up a pair of the latest fashion in hunting footwear. 😀

I like your application of the scientific method. Looking forward to the results. I for one want to be assured that I need not search for those miniscule glands. 🤣

That target says it all. You got you a squirrel Killin machine.

Headed up to the elk country with my bow this afternoon and for sure am going to pick up a pair of the latest fashion in hunting footwear. 😀
Good luck, Cruiser. I hope you bring home a nice one for the freezer. If I were anywhere near you, I’d darn sure help you pack it out.

The first of my new squirrel hunting camo arrived today. It’s not bad but I think I’m going to try to get away from the dark brown with the next batch. Truth be known, I didn’t want those brown blobs on this shirt but I got what I could get.

It ought to work well for any kind of hunting, especially squirrels. Should be great for the dark hardwoods any time of year. Once the leaves turn brown and begin to fall during squirrel stupid season, my guess is this will provide excellent blend in factor.

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Many thanks to JimK. I don’t think I’ll be wearing it squirrel hunting but it will be my favorite going to town shirt. 😁

I mean, everyone knows how awesome squirrel hunting is, right? If they don’t, then it’s time they learn. Yeppers, this ole boy is out to start a new fashion statement. I might even have some bumper stickers made that says “Eat more squirrels”.

Attachments

• IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Many thanks to JimK. I don’t think I’ll be wearing it squirrel hunting but it will be my favorite going to town shirt. 😁

I mean, everyone knows how awesome squirrel hunting is, right? If they don’t, then it’s time they learn. Yeppers, this ole boy is out to start a new fashion statement. I might even have some bumper stickers made that says “Eat more squirrels”.
Ok Ed if you get bumper stickers made make extras I'll buy a couple from you.

I can see it now
"Save The Nuts, Eat More Squirrels"

I'll buy some too.

Thank you, Tom. That wont be necessary. I’ve already watched a couple of videos on how to find those glands and cut them out, both front and rear. I did find them, or what was left of the glands on the rear legs. Most were no more than a glob. I’m pretty sure that the time to remove them (if one is concerned about them) is during the cleaning process. I do believe that after they have been soaked in salt water for 4-6 days, those glands are reduced to nearly nothing, as the recent experience has shown. It may or may not be a factor in taste.

By chance a neighbor friend called yesterday afternoon. He is from eastern KY area and was a big time squirrel hunter for many years. I asked him about the squirrel gland thing. His reply was that he had never heard of such. He also stated that he will not eat a fox squirrel due to their strong odor.

Again this leads me to believe that the gland issue might have more to do with fox squirrels than with gray squirrels. However, I cannot prove that, just yet anyway.

I do know that my wife fried up a bunch of squirrel meat yesterday evening for dinner. It was mixed in between the ones that had what was left of the glands removed and the ones untouched. It all tasted great to us.

Squirrel meat is darn tasty if prepared properly. Thank you for the idea of getting one of those smaller pressure cooker’s. It made all the difference for fried squirrels. Smoked is still my favorite but it requires much more time. The rewards are there in the end, however.

I really need to hammer down on bow hunting until I get at least a couple of deer in the freezer. However. As soon as I can, I hope to bring in a couple of squirrels and do a more accurate test, in terms of glands.
The gland thing is something that I learned when I was a sprout and being taught the ropes, and just something I've always done. May just be an Illinois thing they taught us young stump jumpers.

The pressure pot thing kinda falls into that same category. Seen Ma and Grandma do it a manure ton of times.

Good luck filling that freezer with delicious deer meat Amigo!

The gland thing is something that I learned when I was a sprout and being taught the ropes, and just something I've always done. May just be an Illinois thing they taught us young stump jumpers.

The pressure pot thing kinda falls into that same category. Seen Ma and Grandma do it a manure ton of times.

Good luck filling that freezer with delicious deer meat Amigo!
The vast majority of squirrels here are fox squirrels,the one I got last weekend is cleaned and in the freezer. The next one I get I'll check for the glands. And I plan on running them through the pressure cooker.

The vast majority of squirrels here are fox squirrels,the one I got last weekend is cleaned and in the freezer. The next one I get I'll check for the glands. And I plan on running them through the pressure cooker.
Makes a night and day difference for sure. Adds maybe 15 minutes to your prep time? That's enough time for a couple cold delicious Budweisers.

Long day today friends. Up at 4. Took off for my happy place again one hour and fifteen minute drive. Had my new rifle with me. Sat at the same place I did Saturday morning. Lots of squirrels around cutting and jumping from tree to tree. First two shots were misses( I’m good at that!). The next shot I got. Yayyy first one with new gun. It was 11 o’clock. Went back to the truck and cleaned the squirrel and ran some patches down the rifle.

Had lunch, then crawled in the back of my truck( I have a bed back there😁), I’m rereading Ed’s book, then took a snooze.

Back out for the afternoon. I was roughly 100 yards from my morning spot. Had action right away. I passed on a shot as I wasn’t comfortable with the distance. Shortly another squirrel strolled up to about 15 yards. I nailed him. Two in a row. I’m feeling good. As afternoon turned to evening the activity reall picked up. Got another shot. Missed!!

At 6:15 I headed out. Gonna shoot my gun to empty it at the truck when a squirrel hops up on the side of a tree. Offhand shot. Missed which is no surprise as I’m not very good off hand. Oh well the gun’s now empty. Drove home. Cleaned the second squirrel and my rifle and got my stuff organized for tomorrow morning.

Only hunting a few hours with no report as a 22 is going with me tomorrow. Chance of rain. My muzzleloaders don’t get wet.

Latest posts

Back