• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First blood with new gun.
IMG_3881.jpeg

Long day today friends. Up at 4. Took off for my happy place again one hour and fifteen minute drive. Had my new rifle with me. Sat at the same place I did Saturday morning. Lots of squirrels around cutting and jumping from tree to tree. First two shots were misses( I’m good at that!). The next shot I got. Yayyy first one with new gun. It was 11 o’clock. Went back to the truck and cleaned the squirrel and ran some patches down the rifle.

Had lunch, then crawled in the back of my truck( I have a bed back there😁), I’m rereading Ed’s book, then took a snooze.

Back out for the afternoon. I was roughly 100 yards from my morning spot. Had action right away. I passed on a shot as I wasn’t comfortable with the distance. Shortly another squirrel strolled up to about 15 yards. I nailed him. Two in a row. I’m feeling good. As afternoon turned to evening the activity reall picked up. Got another shot. Missed!!

At 6:15 I headed out. Gonna shoot my gun to empty it at the truck when a squirrel hops up on the side of a tree. Offhand shot. Missed which is no surprise as I’m not very good off hand. Oh well the gun’s now empty. Drove home. Cleaned the second squirrel and my rifle and got my stuff organized for tomorrow morning.

Only hunting a few hours with no report as a 22 is going with me tomorrow. Chance of rain. My muzzleloaders don’t get wet.
Nice going with the new rifle, I'm not the best offhand either i much prefer a tree to brace off of.

Good luck, Cruiser. I hope you bring home a nice one for the freezer. If I were anywhere near you, I’d darn sure help you pack it out.

Well, there was blood! Unfortunately it was mine o_O

20240916_172046_copy_336x447.jpg

20240916_172125_copy_354x473.jpg

20240916_172212_copy_324x431.jpg

Naturally there was the deep concern with the better half and the suggestion that maybe old men shouldn't be wandering around in the high country alone. My reply; yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm insured. Suddenly her demeanor changed and approval shown through. So, I'm good to go back.

I suppose one of these days it'll be me that gets packed out. 🤣

Other than that it was a fine afternoon in the woods.

Squirrels were laughing at me on the hike out. :oops:

Well, there was blood! Unfortunately it was mine o_O

View attachment 349129

View attachment 349130

View attachment 349131

Naturally there was the deep concern with the better half and the suggestion that maybe old men shouldn't be wandering around in the high country alone. My reply; yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm insured. Suddenly her demeanor changed and approval shown through. So, I'm good to go back.

I suppose one of these days it'll be me that gets packed out. 🤣

Other than that it was a fine afternoon in the woods.

Squirrels were laughing at me on the hike out. :oops:
Trolling for grizz, pilgrim?😁

Well at least you got out there doing what you want to do. That means a lot right there. Nothing like solo hunting in the mountains. A time to leave this messed up world behind and reflect.

There is an old Native American saying that comes to mind.

“The further man gets away from nature, the harder his heart becomes”.

Last edited:
First blood with new gun.View attachment 349089
Congrats, Jim. Broke in your new squirrel tool and had a lot of action. The best kind of squirrel, too. My guess is, things will improve once you get a little more time with the ML.

I do like the looks of that ML.

Last edited:
Long day today friends. Up at 4. Took off for my happy place again one hour and fifteen minute drive. Had my new rifle with me. Sat at the same place I did Saturday morning. Lots of squirrels around cutting and jumping from tree to tree. First two shots were misses( I’m good at that!). The next shot I got. Yayyy first one with new gun. It was 11 o’clock. Went back to the truck and cleaned the squirrel and ran some patches down the rifle.

Had lunch, then crawled in the back of my truck( I have a bed back there😁), I’m rereading Ed’s book, then took a snooze.

Back out for the afternoon. I was roughly 100 yards from my morning spot. Had action right away. I passed on a shot as I wasn’t comfortable with the distance. Shortly another squirrel strolled up to about 15 yards. I nailed him. Two in a row. I’m feeling good. As afternoon turned to evening the activity reall picked up. Got another shot. Missed!!

At 6:15 I headed out. Gonna shoot my gun to empty it at the truck when a squirrel hops up on the side of a tree. Offhand shot. Missed which is no surprise as I’m not very good off hand. Oh well the gun’s now empty. Drove home. Cleaned the second squirrel and my rifle and got my stuff organized for tomorrow morning.

Only hunting a few hours with no report as a 22 is going with me tomorrow. Chance of rain. My muzzleloaders don’t get wet.
I bet your ML’s are saying “Oh C’mon, don’t cha want to have fun no more” just because it’s raining?

Henry Frap would have said so.

Last edited:
I like to wait for a cold snap (40ish) before I hit the squeak woods.
I'll typically find an oak, hickory, or walnut tree and wait.
I must admit that I tend to do more observing than actual " hunting".
My firelock of choice is a Fusil Fin.
55 gr. of 3F, 65 gr. of #6's.
Nothing wrong with that. It’s all about enjoying oneself while squirrel hunting. Several different ways for sure. I’ve most likely learned more about squirrels and squirrel hunting from observing than anything else.

Last week I saw another squirrel fall from a tree, lie there for a few seconds, then right back up the tree for more hickory nuts.

Tom (Snakebit) saw deer, bear and hippies last Saturday while squirrel hunting.

Tons to be learned by observing the woods.

Simply amazing.

Forecasting calling for more of the same darn weather here for days on end. Dry, hot and winds from the northeast to southeast sector for the foreseeable future. This is the absolute worst case for hunting here. With the exception of a few days, it’s been that way for weeks this year.

It wouldn’t be nearly as bad if it would rain some. As it is now, with the freshly fallen leaves on the ground, due to dryness, even a chipmunk can be heard moving through the woods from a distance. This makes it darn near impossible to walk quietly. This is also the result of continuous winds from that sector. It does appear to maybe rain a very little bit this morning but if it does, it won’t be enough to help much.

So, not only does this make it impossible to quietly slip in while squirrel hunting, it’s the same trying to quietly slip in somewhere to bow hunt. It simply makes it easy for deer and squirrels to pattern a hunter. Educate them, if you will.

The wind direction and speed doesn’t matter as much at one of my hunting grounds for deer, but it certainly does for squirrel hunting.

This is sad, very sad. Just gotta roll with it I reckon. As it is now, it’s looking like deer killing is going to happen later on again this year.

Last edited:
It's nice to be able to sneak through the woods when the leaves are damp, but I can put up with dry leaves better than wind. If I crunch though the dry leaves and find a spot to sit down for a while, the squirrels usually come back out after a while, but if the wind is blowing the treetops around then it makes it very hard to spot them. Either way it's still nice to be out in the woods. You never know what you are going to see.

It's nice to be able to sneak through the woods when the leaves are damp, but I can put up with dry leaves better than wind. If I crunch though the dry leaves and find a spot to sit down for a while, the squirrels usually come back out after a while, but if the wind is blowing the treetops around then it makes it very hard to spot them. Either way it's still nice to be out in the woods. You never know what you are going to see.
Exactly

So, I received a nice gift in the mail yesterday. This is a nice knife. Love the squirrel on it. Very appropriate.

Thank you, Fred. I really like it. It will be going to the woods with me.
You are welcome, Ed.
I'm glad you like and will be taking it to the woods. Skin'em out Ed.

So, I received a nice gift in the mail yesterday. This is a nice knife. Love the squirrel on it. Very appropriate.

Thank you, Fred. I really like it. It will be going to the woods with me.
Got one today myself. Can't thank you enough Fred. I think mine will be staying home. I'd have a $h!t fit if I lost it. I'll keep it safe to be treasured and admired.

Attachments

• IMG_20240917_124801147.jpg
    IMG_20240917_124801147.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 0
Squirrel hunting friends: I’ve noticed last fall and starting again this fall the vast majority are females. It seems to change later in the year. 5 out of 6 so far this fall are females. Last year was the same.

Anybody else see this? Or is it just females are attracted to me😎
I haven't shot any yet
this year, or last year, so just don't know. I'm guessing, like deer, that is probably the way it is. All I know is it's good to be a buck squirrel...

Back