• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off handed for me followed by straight up. The squirrels have a real good chance of living through either one!
So, here is an illustration that clearly shows what is happening on those straight up shots. As we all know, a ball follows a straight line exiting the muzzle for only an inch or so. From that point on it begins dropping in an ever increasing arc until it lands on the ground. We compensate you aiming a bit high. How much higher depends upon how far away the target is. BUT, when we shoot straight up, the only effect of gravity is to very gradually slow the speed of the ball. There is no curved trajectory within the confines of our squirrel hunting distances.

20240922_154105_copy_600x1428.jpg

The wider line at the bottom represents our barrel, of course.

Obviously, every range needs to install a tower that can lift a target holder to various distances to allow each squirrel hunter to study the exact ballistic behavior their specific rifle.

As to the shooting from a rest problem, we need to engineer inverted L shaped rests that attach as a bipod to your AR (I know you all have one). That way the hunter can lay on their back and have a perfect resting shot at any overhead squirrel.

This is a special advantage to certain hunters of a certain age who prefer to sit and wait for the squirrels. The correct camo pattern will appear as does the forest floor which should NOT bear any resemblance to any manner of forest mast crop lest it encourage unintentional and toothy attacks by their quarry. This risk becomes even greater for the hunter of a certain age who engages in this new and deadly strategy in that the hunter will likely be asleep at the time of the attack. In actuality, that certain type of hunter would probably not be able to rise up to prevent the attack.

Be careful out there!! :eek:

So, here is an illustration that clearly shows what is happening on those straight up shots. As we all know, a ball follows a straight line exiting the muzzle for only an inch or so. From that point on it begins dropping in an ever increasing arc until it lands on the ground. We compensate you aiming a bit high. How much higher depends upon how far away the target is. BUT, when we shoot straight up, the only effect of gravity is to very gradually slow the speed of the ball. There is no curved trajectory within the confines of our squirrel hunting distances.

View attachment 350437

Obviously, every range needs to install a tower that can lift a target holder to various distances to allow each squirrel hunter to study the exact ballistic behavior their specific rifle.

As to the shooting from a rest problem, we need to engineer inverted L shaped rests that attach as a bipod to your AR (I know you all have one). That way the hunter can lay on their back and have a perfect resting shot at any overhead squirrel.

This is a special advantage to certain hunters of a certain age who prefer to sit and wait for the squirrels. The correct camo pattern will appear as does the forest floor which should NOT bear any resemblance to any manner of forest mast crop lest it encourage unintentional and toothy attacks by their quarry. This risk becomes even greater for the hunter of a certain age who engages in this new and deadly strategy in that the hunter will likely be asleep at the time of the attack. In actuality, that certain type of hunter would probably not be able to rise up to prevent the attack.

That’s a lot to think about. I’ll have to cogitate on it!

I saved a tail feather from each birds I got last year.

Been trying to figure out what to do with

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240922_191639_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240922_191639_Google.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think I heard.. keeping a journal log of the numbers harvested..

What do you do with rabbit. I was thinking also.

I could keep count anyway but. I don't want to pelt them all.. was thinking just pelt the first. Would look good on the wall I think.

A squirrels I have no clue. Other than trying to mount a fancy one.

View attachment 350437

Cruiser my friend, you are zen master🤣

Ed
I use the AccuWeather app and I find that to be pretty darn accurate.
Have used it for a little over 3 years.
Thanks, Greg. I do use AccuWeather. Its on this desktop as well as my cell. I do not know if I have and app or not on my cell. They may be fairly accurate for some locations but they are often wrong here. Sometimes even the radar is inaccurate.
One aspect I often see here is the forecast will be changed during the weekends then be changed right back to how it was on Friday.

View attachment 350437

Very well, Cruiser. Good information. Thank you for posting it.

I can see how that could make a difference on vertical shots, or close to vertical. If I get the chance again, I will try to aim a tad high. However, on any other steep angle shot that is not completely vertical, and considering the distance, I would think that could be a different story.

My thinking is, and is something I have definitely noticed, I find it difficult to put the crescent shaped buttstock where it needs to be on vertical shots. Speaking for the Crockett rifle only, that crescent needs to be placed right at the edge of the bicepts. I found out the hard way that any time this is not done, I miss. Not only on squirrels but during target shooting. In short, the crescent seems to want to go against the shoulder on those steep angle shots regardless.

However, this might be overcome by practice IF one had the proper setup.

Definitely something to consider.

Latest posts

Back