• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Scott.

That shoddy ramrod will suffice until you can get an upgraded one. Being is constructed from metallic material, I doubt it would break or go through one’s hand. However, there’s no doubt it’s way undersized, rattles and is a very poor excuse for a ramrod.

Your options are:

1. Order and build up a hickory ramrod from TOTW. All you need is one end. They are easy to build up.

2. Order a brass ramrod from October Country or the Log Cabin Shop. I prefer to do business with October Country. Small business and great people that make their own stuff.

Personally, for that rifle, I wouldn’t consider a fiberglass ramrod.

If you choose to shoot .310 swagged RB and .018 pillow ticking, it will be a snug fit but doable with a hickory ramrod. Anything tighter and you will be best served with a brass ramrod.

The last batch of pillow ticking I got from October Country is great. After washing it and allowing it to dry, I lubed my self cut patches with TOTW Mink Oil. I go heavy on the lube and found that with a .310 RB, I can shoot several times and still reload easily. However, I prefer to run one or two damp cleaning patches with Windex on them down the bore after 2-3 shots anyway IF the situation permits. **Cut those moist patches a little smaller**. For whatever reason, they tend to bind up if they are the same size as the other cleaning patches. In fact, it would behoove you cut all cleaning patches a little on the smaller size. You will thank me later.

20 grains of 3F will most likely be your optimum charge.
Thank you Ed. Will order the brass rod today for sure. Everything else I feel like I can work with for a bit before making decisions on further replacement.

I have read through some of the discussions on how tricky the cleaning patches can be and already acquired the jag tip everyone was recommending.

I’m also going to use the wisdom already available here for working up a load. I will be starting with Hornady .310 swaged balls, .018 pillow ticking, pure mink oil and 20g of Swiss 3F. Hoping that dialing in is a quick process so I can get out in the woods with it.

Enjoy your Saturday gentlemen!

The rabbit hole you have entered is a deep one my friend!🤣 But, very rewarding. A little testors model paint on the front sight will help until you decide on sights. Like Ed mentioned, a brass RR is the route I went. I got a derlin one from TOTW for my 36 (Sadie), but she has a 39 inch barrel. Get a good patch worm. Cleaning patches I like them around an inch, and not too thick. A small 2 oz pump spray bottle from Walmart with Windex or denatured alcohol is handy for range or field for swabbing. I'd also recommend a nylon .22 caliber brush for cleaning the patent breach. That rifle will shoot better than you figure her out. Looking forward to your writeup after your first range session.👍
If the rabbit hole leads to some rabbit stew I’m all good!

Got it and will add a few other odds and ends to the RR order. I do a very lightly wet windex patch between shots with my larger caliber rifles so will do the same with this one. I’m fairly meticulous with black powder guns and firmly believe that keeping everything very consistent from shot to shot is a key to success. I think that part is where a lot of centerfire shooters stumble when they switch over.

Look for a writeup a week from today. Unfortunately, a few components did not get here in time. One of the many hassles of living in MA. No local retail options at all. I can get balls, and once in a blue moon, CCI caps at Cabelas. That’s literally it…

Got it and will add a few other odds and ends to the RR order. I do a very lightly wet windex patch between shots with my larger caliber rifles so will do the same with this one. I’m fairly meticulous with black powder guns and firmly believe that keeping everything very consistent from shot to shot is a key to success. I think that part is where a lot of centerfire shooters stumble when they switch over.

Look for a writeup a week from today. Unfortunately, a few components did not get here in time. One of the many hassles of living in MA. No local retail options at all. I can get balls, and once in a blue moon, CCI caps at Cabelas. That’s literally it…
How close to the Connecticut border are you?

They are solid brass and 10/32 threaded on both ends….
Do you have it yet? Or on order?
Wondering about fit and length
For the Crockett rifle. I have a 36cal
Investarms Santa Fe, (But I'm about a Nat's Tail From ordering a Crockett)
Herd so many good things about them.
They are solid brass and 10/32 threaded on both ends….

I know that rabbit hole well. Many twists and turns, knowing more to come. The labyrinth of muzzleloading is great.

You will be very happy with your Crockett for sure. ETipp and Snakebit passed on some good info.

I do make my own cleaning patches now. When I first got my Crockett I had patch issues I found Allen's 7/8"x7/8" work well.

Best to ya. Looking forward to shooting results.

Back