• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3" snow for the Wisconsin gun deer opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Teens for saturday with stiff wind,single digits for Sunday..Perfect! :thumbsup:
The glaciers did not flatten this part of the state so all the cold air dumps down into the river bottoms from the surrounding ridges above.
We have a late opener here in(Wisconsin)this year..always a bonus with snow cover..
Will be in the bottoms(public) in far West..
We bunk in Minnesota...
Is it Saturday morning Yet??? :grin:

Toting the tweaked 58 cal. flint Renegade....its last year...
Have an Early virgina 58 cal.in the vice waiting for some attention.

ac26149b-2874-412c-a7c4-8f9d3d67fe67_zps6182d369.jpg

IMG_01221_zps2c5f1a79.jpg

A bend in one of the sloughs with a dusting ..last year.
We are about 1 hr. north of the rain snow line in the state.
Go-get-em Guys!

IMG_1778.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And the very best of luck to you too...hopefully well see more Renegade photos with deer along side.
:thumbsup:

PS: Remember Job #1 is getting through the hunts and back home with all your parts still attached & working...bringing deer back with you is just a bonus

Last year my youngest son shot his first buck during this hunt..
Made my whole season... :thumbsup:
I buy the large pocket hand warmers by the case...we layer up and pack warm fluids..we cross water twice(hip boots or waders depending on river flow) and its a 45 Min hike back to the stands.
This is our 30th year hunting this area and we have all the pinch points covered.
We use the large 2 wheel mule carts to move the heavy stuff...
And there's 3 young bucks along to pick up the slack. :thumbsup:
Had one year where the bottoms were flooded out..We just used canoes to get to out stands instead.
A little water doesn't stop the deer down there.
We earn our deer here and it just makes them taste sweeter.
:thumbsup:

Good luck there Dan! I don't relish hunting in cold weather, but do like some snow.

How about some pics of that other .58?

Thank You Gentlemen...
I'll send a pic when I find the top of my (pile) work bench.HaHa!.
No time during the silly season...
Dave Keck worked his majic did the roughin with butt shaped,rr hole drilled ,channel routed,barrel inletted.
I would recomend Daves work to all!.
Can't wait to sneak up on this rifle.

Love a .58...after the last 2 Does with the .62cal smoothbore, I cleaned it up and cased it...have my .58cal Early Virginia out for some air now

Don't freeze anything off in those temps. I can't conceive of actually getting out of a warm bed and going out into single digits or even teens. I'm from the Deep South and our blood tends to be thin unlike you snow birds who don't give it a second thought. My advice: kill a large buck and that will warm you right up. Be safe as always.

Dan, looks like the state land bottoms over by Xxxxxxxxxxx along the Xxxxxxxxx River. You aren't staying around my neck of the woods, are you? Hopefully I didn't give away your secret spot! :shocked2: :shake:

Another absolutely wonderful item in really cold weather is the Therma-Care back wraps! They will last 12 hours and keep your midsection toasty warm. Don't get generics...they only last a couple of hours. The real Therma-care last all day.

Good luck on Saturday!

Roundball... You dont have rifles and smoothbores ..

What you have are Deer Magnets! :rotf:

The 58 is so much nicer to carry than the 54... Less weight.
and as a bonus you don't need to send the 58 at light speed to get the job done.
Hope you Tag-out....dan

Best of luck for you or as we say Waidmannsheil!

I am looking forward to pictures with the .58 plus deer :grin: and of course a nice story along.

Silex

Spikebuck said:
Another absolutely wonderful item in really cold weather is the Therma-Care back wraps! They will last 12 hours and keep your midsection toasty warm. Don't get generics...they only last a couple of hours. The real Therma-care last all day.

THAT sounds like a wonderful idea. I grew up hunting in Pennsylvania's post Thanksgiving deer season, and cannot imagine how I endured that cold when I was younger. The clothes we wore weren't fit for such, and I recall days when I could barely walk or talk from being soooo cold after sitting patiently for hours. NO MORE! I still don't subscribe to the box stand with heater method, but won't stay put until hypothermia sets in.

makeumsmoke said:
The 58 is so much nicer to carry than the 54... Less weight, and as a bonus you don't need to send the 58 at light speed to get the job done.....dan

I don't have chrono data on the .58, but have seen some chrono data on .62s, and there aren't any flies on them either! 120gr ffg Goex under a .610" RB was doing 1635fps from a 30" barrel.

For sure, the .58 will get 'er done, and with a bit less powder and recoil.

Hanshi..The hike in before shooting light warms us up..
We dress light move fast, try not to break a sweat...
Once in stand its all good.
Just learn what to wear- how to layer.
At 80 My mother bakes the best oatmeal rasin walnut spice 1/4lbs. cookies that we all love.
Just got the call she pulled them from the oven this am.
We Pack Very sustaining goodies. :grin:

Fog is our enemy down there..Hard to keep your bearings.
Compass,fire starter,emergency blanket.all part of the game.
We hunt here more out of tradtion than deer numbers..we have seen them rise and fall..
I shoot a 16"incher once every 5 years on average.
Its all fun till the deer hits the dirt.

Best part of this trip is sharing the stories at Thanksgiving and Christmas for the family feasts. :thumbsup:

We hunt about 50 miles south of Xxxxxxxxxx....
Mostly federal land..Lots of Islands and lowland swales, thick prickley ash.
These deer were born with swim fins....They come pouring out of the hills into the river bottoms......

Heres some of my numbers from 2-2010

32" gm 1-70 dropin barrel 58 cal.persuction!

temp 30 degrees wind w nw 10-15mph crosswind today..Sunny 10" snow cover

Load 120 fff-Goex average 1731 fps- today
1 thin overshot card
1 lubed leather wad
.576 home cast rb
.010 cotton linen patch-lubed Stumpy's Moose snot(olive oil blend)
The .010 patch held great with the leather wad-- lubed with Hoppe's bps&l.. shot better at 50 yards!

.500 fiber wad load
120 Gr FFF-Goex- average 1726 fps- today
1 thin over shot card
1 .500 fiber wad -lubed-Stumpy's Moose Snot(olive Oil blend)
.010 cotton linen patch lubed -Stumpy's moose Snot(Olive oil blend)
.576 home cast rb
patch shredded with this load- but shot better at 100 yards!

Summary-I tested 2 load columns today both 120 gr FFF-goex

.....Leather wad..........500 fiber wad
80 gr.....1447...............1286
85 gr.....1561...............1400
90 gr.....1638...............1541
95 gr.....1679...............1499
100 gr....1584...............1539
105 gr....1561...............1629
110 gr....1548...............1679
115 gr....1628...............1655
120 gr....1731...............1726

=================================================================

I'll be shoting a 90 gr load of 2f swiss
1 op card
40 cotton duct .020 patch
Hoppe's bp s&l
Home cast 575 rb.
Swiss Null-B prime.
This is my most accurate load to date since I converted this barrel to flint this spring.
Now all I need is a deer to make one mistake.

I'll second the Thermacare back wraps. I use them for winter fly fishing here. It get reallllllyyy cold in those mountain valleys before the sun reaches over the peaks.

Great looking place Dan I hope you get the biggest one ever this year. Or maybe your Son will, either one would be great I'm sure. :thumbsup:

Back