• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal for coyotes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highPlains

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought a .32 caliber and I haven't shot it yet. I'm a baby in the muzzleloader world and I'm looking for advice on what kind of load I should use for coyotes? I'll be shooting patched round balls.

Thanks in advance!

I do a fair piece of coyote hunting, and if you want my honest opinion, I think you'd be better off with a .40 cal or even a .45. Coyotes are tough critters, and a .32 is the equivalent of a .22 lr, which is a lousy cartridge for coyotes.

If you insist on using a .32, stoke it hot and keep your shots close.

Here is a link to a discussion under the Percussion Rifles forum about the power of the .32 cal. It has a lot more power than a .22lr. If I were only planning to hunt coyote, I would take my .54 cal. But if I'm hunting small game, and had the chance, I would not hesitate to use it on coyote at reasonable ranges.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/225243/

Here is a post from a member who used a .32 cal Crocket to take a hog.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/.../post/546645/hl/crockett/fromsearch/1/#546645

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a few opportunistic coyotes with a 32 when out rabbit or squirrel hunting (and fox/bobcat). The 32 is better suited to smaller game though. Just keep the ranges very reasonable with a stout load and a 32 will do the job with a well placed shot.

My two main predator muzzleloaders are both 36 caliber, because I call in a lot of fox, bobcat, a few badger as well as the coyotes. They do fine even on coyotes at a fair range with a good shot. Don't do much pelt damage, but they will get runners if I push them too far out or make a less than perfect shot.

Best choice is probably my 45's, although they can tear up pelts. But they can anchor coyotes way out there.

My 50's and 54's are way too hard on pelts and messy on the smaller predators.

BTW, I use stout loads for predators since I don't know in advance how close they will call in on each stand. Even so I have to give out a lot of free passes on the ones that hang up way too far out for anything but a Hail Mary with a muzzleloader.

I think a .32 can be a powerful choice when using a conical. I measured .36 out with conicals and upt to 50 meters it is powerful enough to hunt even roedeer.

Regards

Kirrmeister

What is a stout load for a .32? I am a total newb with this stuff.

How much should I load, and how far can I effectively shoot? I'll be hitting the range this weekend, but I don't even know where to start, or what is safe.

Thanks for the helpful advice thus far!

I have a .32 CVA and have taken a bobcat with it. 30 grains and a tight patched ball with kill a yote but you better be close. A 32 gets pushed around in the wind a LOT. I agree, call em in to about fifty yards if possible. That will test your abilities for sure.

May I suggest (humbly - of course) that you have a back up side arm capable of fast, accurate, repeatable and reliable fire? Preferably in the .45 variety. Here in PA we have these Eastern Coyotes that are hitting about 45 pounds on a good day and you do not want to pi$$ them off with a wounding shot that may encourage them to take a hunk out of your be-hind as a dying tribute to their own tenacity and non appreciation of your killing them. Oh, almost forgot - they like to hang in what we call "packs" and have a reputation as having a strange, and unnerving, disrespect for people.

highPlains said:

How much should I load, and how far can I effectively shoot? I'll be hitting the range this weekend, but I don't even know where to start, or what is safe.

For game I would also suggest shots at or under 50 yds. You'll get around 2000fps with 30gr of 3F, but that litte ball doesn't weigh much and it slows down quickly.

Deaconjo said:
May I suggest (humbly - of course) that you have a back up side arm capable of fast, accurate, repeatable and reliable fire? Preferably in the .45 variety. Here in PA we have these Eastern Coyotes that are hitting about 45 pounds on a good day and you do not want to pi$$ them off with a wounding shot that may encourage them to take a hunk out of your be-hind as a dying tribute to their own tenacity and non appreciation of your killing them. Oh, almost forgot - they like to hang in what we call "packs" and have a reputation as having a strange, and unnerving, disrespect for people.

I've never met a 'yote that didn't have a fear of humans, must be a symptom of the clash of suburbia and animal habitat.

Well sir, one of the things that we are seeing in the Eastern Coyote, beside the large size and very bad attitude, is the fact that they no longer have a taste for carrion - they want live food. Allegedly, this taste for rotting food was bred out of the animal over the years as the gene pool selected out animals that ate carrion, which was laced with poision and was part of misguided plans to get rid of the coyotes. The ones that kept eating dead meat - were selectd out of the gene pool due to the poision and the animals refocused their dining habbits on living prey. Neat, huh?

We've sure whacked a mess of coyotes over the years using a 12 gauge and either 00 or #4 buckshot. Ranges are inside 50 yards and the buggers are doing about 90, so shotgun is about the best answer. Here's what I've learned, and I think there's application to your question:

With #4 buck you need several pellets on target unless you get lucky and land one of them in the spine or head. A single #4 buck in the heart/lungs will make them sick, maybe even knock them down briefly, but it's likely to lead to a chase if you don't whap them again quick.

Can't tell you how many times we've had single pellets of 00 drop a critter flat. A hit in the heart lungs will take them down. Problem with a shotgun is shooting accurate enough to be sure and get that single pellet into the heart/lungs.

We're using pump or semi cartridge guns allowing quick followups if necessary, plus we're "autopsying" every single one of them (or skinning if you prefer) and getting to look them over pretty close.

Those single 00 buck to the heart/lungs are only leaving the muzzle at around 1500 fps, but because they're a little hard to predict you have to launch nine of them at once to be sure to get at least one where it belongs.

Now a 32 cal rifle launching single 00 buck from a rifled bore at 2000 fps and landing reliably in the heart lungs? Unless black powder shooting coats that little ball with some kind of magic healing voodoo, I have absolutely no doubt that it'll killum to at least 50 yards. You wanna stretch the yardage to 100, it might make sense to switch to a fast conical, but I doubt I could hittem that far anyway.

highPlains said:

What I call stout loads are those that are approaching maximum for the rifle being shot in. What is safe in your rifle is the right question to get answered first, then pick a load near it or just below that shoots well in your rifle. What is safe varies from barrel maker to maker. For example, CVA lists 30 gr. of 3F as the maximum PRB load in their 32 Squirrel rifles, while TC lists 50 gr. of 3F in their Cherokee/Seneca rifles as max for PRB. Other brands of 32 barrels will also have a recommended safe max, so you need to find out what it is for your rifle.

How far is speculative. The 32 is marginal at best for coyotes, so how far depends on your ability to place your shots very well at different given ranges to start with. How far with regards to retained knock down energy is also speculative, and depends largely on how pumped up the coyote is. While it may be possible to luck a drop-in-their-tracks shot at extended ranges, the 32 RB just does not transfer much hydrostatic shock to coyotes, even when they are in your face close. So I think 50 yards can easily be stetching a 32 in most cases if your hunting ethics dictates only clean, humane kills are acceptable. A maxi-ball might make a bigger wound channel and add a little shock to the hit, but still only for short distances. With modern metallic cartridges, small projectiles going very fast can deliver considerably more hydrostatic shock to a coyote than larger bullets going slower do, expend all of their energy inside the animal and commonly drops them in their tracks even at extended ranges. HS drops coyotes faster than big holes do. Why the 17/20 calibers have become so popular for predator hunters who want undamaged pelts. But we can't push the 32 RB fast enough for it to do the same with muzzleloaders.

A 36 caliber extends ranges over a 32 for predators (my first choice), but a 40 or 45 is probably about the ideal choice for the average hunter. Anything larger destroys pelts if you care about saving them.

As for the aggressivness of the coyotes, that has also been changing here in the west the last decade or so. While I still don't see it much out on the desert, those that come into residential neighborhoods for pet cats and dogs have become very bold and very aggressive. My place borders endless miles of desert, and they come here often for the quail and cottontail that live on my property. In the last two years I have had conflicts with them twice right in my yard, being charged by a small pack once, and actually attacked once by a lone alpha male. They do not back down, so all my nightly strolls for a smoke in the cooler night air are accompanied by a 6' walking staff now days.

Deaconjo said:
Well sir, one of the things that we are seeing in the Eastern Coyote, beside the large size and very bad attitude, is the fact that they no longer have a taste for carrion - they want live food. Allegedly, this taste for rotting food was bred out of the animal over the years as the gene pool selected out animals that ate carrion, which was laced with poision and was part of misguided plans to get rid of the coyotes. The ones that kept eating dead meat - were selectd out of the gene pool due to the poision and the animals refocused their dining habbits on living prey. Neat, huh?

Well, we breed 'em pretty durn big here in Missouri, (had one last year go 45 pounds) but the attitude is something I've never seen. I walked up on a pack of 5 on a gutpile and scattered them like so many flies.

Ours certainly haven't lost their taste for carrion, those same gutpiles disappear overnight. We found a deer that must have gone down sick this summer, he was green and full of flies but more or less whole one day, next day he was a spine, a skull, and some ribs.

Regardless, I carry a pistol any time I go afield. More for protection from two-legged predators than the four-legged variety.

I live in Missouri's "Meth Triangle" smack in the middle of St. Louis, Jefferson, and Franklin (Metherson and Cranklin) counties. Sadly, two legged predators are a reality of life in these woods.

Hi,

I have shot 4 coyotes with a half stock percussion 40 caliber patched ball w/65 of FFFg. The farthest one shot was about 63 yards give or take ( all shots went straight through them).
All died very quick one without undue fuss. I think BP hunting yotes is the best. IMHO coyotes toughness is very overated at least in (Ohio, Kentucky, and TN). Shots should be kept close and you should know your rifle and load.
On a sad note you will never get a double. :v

PGTMG said:
Hi,

On a sad note you will never get a double. :v

Aint that the truth!!!! No sense packing extra balls and powder in your kit either, cuzz there sure aren't going to be any followup shots if you miss. Man, those critters put new meaning on FAST! :shocked2:

They sure do. In all honesty, I favor coyote hunting to deer hunting. My deer hunting is just too easy and predictable; I scout out a good spot along a heavily used trail, settle in and do my best impersonation of a bush, then wait for the rustling of deer in leaves to wake me up for the shot.

Coyotes are a bit smarter and less predictable.

Back