• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 caliber frustrations with not grouping.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you located in N.E.Ohio ? I made a 32 cal. percussion half stock and use ox yoke .015 patch with 25 gr. goex 3f powder. At 25 yds. from a rest I can shoot a 1" to ! 1/2" group using neatsfoot oil as a lube.
Thank you for your reply.

I do live in N.E. Ohio. Was out this past Thursday. 80deg F, about 50% humidity, partly sunny, an occasional breeze, perfect conditions. I was supposed to be painting bedroom doors, but convinced the Mrs. I can paint when it’s a rainy day 👍🏻😊

One of my past experiments used .015 ox yoke dry lube patch, a .315 swaged ball, and the same powder & charge you listed. Three trials, three shots each trial, the grand average (the average of each trial) was, rounded-off to, 3.25inches. That combination was never repeated.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

After each shot, I run a dry patch down the bore and pack it against the breech. Then, using alcohol prep pads, run it down and up the bore and discard. Repeat the same. Remove the patch from the breech, then run a dry patch in the bore, pumping up and down to help evaporate the alcohol. This gives me a “clean” bore for each shot.

All other rifles I’ve conducted the same Design of Experiments using three shots and found the ideal combination for clover leafing shots. That’s why I was using three shots for my 32, as it worked before. I will start working with five shots and then increase to ten with the best five shot groups.

Again, Thank you everyone for your help!

Thank you for your response.

The touch hole is 1/64” diameter, verified with certified grade ‘B’ gage pins. A .016dia pin will not go and a .015dia pin will go.
??? Most touch holes are 1/16" (0.0625") in diameter. A touch hole of 1/64" (0.0156") is way too small for reliable ignition.

What's your twist rate? This may be a factor. Your loading procedure should result in consistent groups. Since the touch hole is too small, try drilling it out to 1/16" and see what happens (nothing to lose at this point). Inconsistent ignition will not produce target accuracy. Based on all your trials, you may just have a lousy barrel and replacement might now be an option.

I'm also new to .32cal. Recently bought a. 32cal Green Mountain drop-in barrell for my T/C Hawken, and a .32cal T/C Cherokee. Both are shooting 1-2 inches at 50yds using balls cast with a Lee .311 RB mold, .015" pre-lubed pillow ticking over 15-20gr FFFg.

To pre-lube patch material, I place 20% Dawn dish soap, and 20% virgin olive oil, 60% isopropyl alcohal in a small bottle, and shake vigorously.

Then I cut the patch material into 1.25" strips, fold into a roll, place the roll in a plastic cup, and saturate with vigorously shaken lube mixture. I squeeze out as much as I can with fingertip pressure, then lay the strips out flat on a clean horizontal surface to dry overnight. Once dry, fold them back up and place them in a ziplock bag.

This patch material is much thinner than I use for my .50cal. For that I use 12oz Denim that mikes .024". And it requires a short starter to start the ball. I can seat the .32cal balls with stiff thumb pressure.

Last edited:

The touch hole is 1/64” diameter, verified with certified grade ‘B’ gage pins. A .016dia pin will not go and a .015dia pin will go.
Are you sure ? Most factory Traditions liners are around 1/16" both of my Traditions flinters and three Traditions made replacement liners are drilled to .067" measured with precision ground tool steel gage pins from a machine shop. The flash hole in most cap gun nipples is around .025" to .028" diameter. A .015" touch hole for a flint gun ? That can't be right. :dunno:

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

After each shot, I run a dry patch down the bore and pack it against the breech. Then, using alcohol prep pads, run it down and up the bore and discard. Repeat the same. Remove the patch from the breech, then run a dry patch in the bore, pumping up and down to help evaporate the alcohol. This gives me a “clean” bore for each shot.

All other rifles I’ve conducted the same Design of Experiments using three shots and found the ideal combination for clover leafing shots. That’s why I was using three shots for my 32, as it worked before. I will start working with five shots and then increase to ten with the best five shot groups.

Again, Thank you everyone for your help!
Retired engineer with 20+ years DOE experience. Firm believer in it with many examples of success over those years. Once you figure out what is the lurking variable and eliminate it, Bob's your uncle.

Thirty years ago Jim Chambers published an article in Muzzle Blasts, with the raw data, about the new, improved cock for his Siler lock and how it helped speed. I ran it through Statgraphics at the time. His claims were statistically significant.

I have two Bud Siler kits left, but will upgrade them with Chambers' parts when time to build based on that analysis.

"Data driven decision making. What a concept!"

I do not see how it could just fizzz thru a hole that small and not go boom seems the powder could be wet but I really cant see how that would be

That is way to small. A bout .062 is right. I am surprised you are getting consistent ignition. How much powder are you putting in the pan. Is this a touch hole liner or did someone drill that small hole.

Back