• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 or .36 questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nifeman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey fellers, got a question. I'm thinking about trding my .54 TC flinter for an equal value .32 or .36 sqirrel gun. I don't hunt deer like I used to and I've got a .45 and .50 if I want to.
Question is which do you think I ought to go with before I advertise the swap. I will mainly use it for plinking but in I really like huntin tree rats. Most of my shots will be well under 50 yds.
I was leaning toward the Crockett, or I saw a nice CVA .36 that kinda looks traditional.
Don't want to go with something with adj. sights as that takes away the fun of Kentucky windage.
Come on and give me some help...

MY vote is for the 36 you can buy 000 buck as they are a 350 rb and shoot very well in the 36 and they come in 5lbs box for $20. :thumbsup:

i like a .32 myself,but would go with the CVA over the Traditions.have owned both and did'nt care much for the crockett,very accurate but had too much trouble with the lock.buddy had one with the same problem.

I have both calibers in TC.The 32 is just great for squirrels and you can use buck shot for round balls.My powder charge is 20grs of FFFg.The 36 I think is overkill for squirrels.It is more for turkey,groundhogs,etc.My charge in the 36 is 40 grs of FFFg.Both are great calibers and after you get one,you probably will get the other also. :)

I have a .36 Pedersoli Frontier and it's an extremely accurate rifle. I like the fact that you can load for squirrel or coyote. I load 20 grains fffg but if you wanted to try your luck at coyote, you might up that to 35 grains.

Dan

I think that the .36 balls are a little easier to handle and the larger bore is easier to clean and use a ramrod with too.
The .36 fodder might also buck the wind better at longer target distances.

I bought a used Crockett 5 years ago and love it..AINT had any problems with it at all and by Gawd its a tack driver...best $200 I ever spent.
But if I could get a reasonably priced .36 I would jump on it in a HeartBeat! there is a .32 cva on aa or gb right now, but I just dont care for the looks of it...it aint sleek like the Crockett!

go with the 36. its a fast accurate and flat shooting number and you wont have to worry about kentucky windage
skwerleater

I've had both .32 and .36 and for a pure squirrel or cottontail rifle I'd say the .32 If you do any coyote or woodchuck pestering the .36 would be a better choice (IMHO).

Don't leave a .36 at home, though. Currently I pop Bushytails with a 42gr charge in a .54 flintlock. You can load anything down. ;-)

Looking at dollar values, you're gonna come out way short going for either of the rifles you name, that is unless your TC is really rank. The TC is probably worth more than twice either of the others.

In similar price ranges I'd look at the Cabelas Blue Ridge or Pedersoli Frontier. They're the same rifle, but you could run into either one.

As for choice between the two cals, I've got both a 32 and a 36, and darned if I can tell the difference between them on snowshoe hares, which are certainly no more or less difficult to hit or kill than tree rats.

But somehow I keep using the 32 more. No good reason for it, but that's the way it shakes out.

I just sold two 32's, a TC Cherokee and an early CVA Squirrel (but kept my TC Hawken 36 and CVA Squirrel 36). I like the 36's better than the 32's, but that's just a personal choice thing because there are only ground squirrels here and lots of predators. The 36 will do double duty better and can be easily loaded down a little for squirrels or bunnies if someone thinks that is needed (I don't). Not enough difference between them to shoot cost wise for that to be a factor. Value wise a TC Seneca/Cherokee will probably be more than your TC Hawken with fewer of them available and prices running higher on them. But your Hawken would be higher value than the CVA's generally, although pristine early 36 Squirrels like mine are fairly rare and do command a price. There is a big difference in quality between the two makers as well, but the CVA's are very servicable. As these all come with adjustable sights, you'd have to change them if you want more traditional sights.

Either way, you'll be in for some great fun with a small bore.

WA

I had a .36 Frontier Pedersoli I got for range shooting with a muzzleloading club. Really didn't like the .36 as it needed to be cleaned each shot for top accuracy. Didn't matter though as I had a major failure with light loads. The drum stretched and blew out the nipple. Couple of years later had a gunmaker friend rebarrel it with a his built hardened drum and breechplug using a Green Mountain .40 cal. barrel. This created a great little rifle. Very accurate easy to load and ideal caliber.
Also in my club, there has been a couple of TC Senecas rebarreled with .40 Green Mountains. This makes one of the best all round rifles there is.
Bees

For a while I was thinking of getting a drop in Green Mountain barrel for my TC 50 Hawken or even looking for another Hawken to build up for this project. After thinking on it, decided it may be heavier than I wanted to carry.
I have a TC Seneca in 45 cal and have been thinking about getting a barrel made up in another cal. I really like the Seneca as it is a nice light weight rifle to carry in the woods. I have talked to Track of the Wolf regarding having a barrel built. Not as cheap as a drop in Green Mountain, but still do able. The problem is which cal? 32, 36 or even 40 all seem great and it is easy to build a case for each caliber. Guess I will just play with the 45 until I make up my mind

Dont know about a .36,but i have the t/c cherokee in .32, it is a very nice shooting gun.Easily shoots an inch a 50 yards, and under 2 inches @100,IF,that is,IF the wind aint blowing!If its blowing,and i dont have my windflags set up, it shoots terrible at longer range. My best load ended up being 24 grs of schuetzen fff g, pillow-tick patch,and 47 gr. round ball from lee mold, .311 diameter. Very fun gun to shoot!!!

I've got both a .36 Seneca and a .32 Cherokee. The Seneca's the shooter. The longer barrel gives it a better balance and it's easier to hold on target when shooting offhand. The short, light Cherokee seems to bobble too much.

.32 is still a great caliber in the right gun. I've got a .32 barrel for my System 1 inline ( :nono: ) that's an absolute tackdriver. Being heavier, it easily outshoots the Cherokee and gives up nothing to the Seneca. So, whatever you decide on, I'd say look for something that has some weight and good muzzle heavy balance. Those GM .32 drop-ins in 15/16" and 1" barrels would probably be way too heavy, however. The Crockett I shouldered at a gunshow several years ago seemed to have a balance & feel like the Seneca's.

I shoot light loads of pyrodex P behind PRB in all my small bores and have no problems with fouling or anything else. Lotsa fun for very little money.
Bob

You know you can buy a barrel in .32 or .36 cal for your T/C ? Just a thought. :hatsoff:

Back