• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3Fg in 20 Gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve got a 20 gauge (.62 caliber) smoothbore trade gun being built but just realized, I have mostly only 3Fg black powder.

Has anyone had luck using 3Fg in this caliber? Will it be okay do you think??

Thank you for the help, Smokey

FFFg will work for you. My 20g fusil has digested Fg, FFg and FFFg with no problems. You'll just need to find the sweet spot. Have fun with it!

Even though it has been gone over ad nauseum here, here is why I use it almost exclusively over 2f.
#1. Cleanliness. I just seem to get either less fouling, or the fouling is finer so it doesn't inhibit loading as much. Especially with shot loads.
#2. Economy. I seem to get the same performance with roundball as 2f with less powder.

Other notes.
Many report better shot patterns with 2f or 1f. I've gotten good enough patterns with 3f that I haven't pursued it much. Last time I did, I had fouling issues loading. I generally find fouling to be worse with shot.
I have tried to find a good 2f load for the lighter weight gun of the 2 in hopes of less recoil. While recoil is less, I have yet to find a 2f load that groups quite as well as my 3f load, it's out there, I just haven't found it yet.

Do a few searches here on this forum and you will find other discussions about this.

It will be fine. Just cut the charge about 10% and be happy. Side benefit is probably less fouling. I shoot 3f in my 69cal smoothbore when competing in N-SSA smoothbore class and the very same gun does double duty when I'm instructing as a 14ga shotgun. Wads and other consumables are readily available from Track.

as you can see from the above posts anything from fg, ffg, fffg will work just fine

Each powder will have an ideal load of powder and shot.

Will take some time at the range to figure all that.....Don't you just hate when that happens? 😁 ;)

3f in everything, I am surprised that Britsmoothy has not posted on this, you O.K. over there Brit. inquiring minds want to know.

I use nothing but 3Fg in my all my 20 gauges. Caplock and Flintlocks. I shoot anywhere from 60 grains to 85 grains and 7/8 oz to 1 1/8 oz of shot. Leather and Felt wads. Great combination.

I shoot all three grade's in my 20 gauge. not a problem. just use 4 FG, for the priming of it.

With my 58 cal rifles, 2F burns much cleaner than 3F, at 70grs. The amount of powder will affect the results, of course. 3F is better in smaller bores, always has been. BP is nothing new and the wheel don't need to be reinvented. 2F has a designated application, as do all the other granulations. We're not smarter than our ancestors...obviously!

3F works in larger bores but is not the optimum choice.

Last edited:
It’s been mentioned in these pages before: A pound of black powder regardless of granulation has the same amount of stored energy, given that it’s the same composition across the F scale when measured by weight.
So as pointed out by cornstalk if your throwing by volume reduce the volume as you go up in granulation.

With my 58 cal rifles, 2F burns much cleaner than 3F, at 70grs. The amount of powder will affect the results, of course. 3F is better in smaller bores, always has been. BP is nothing new and the wheel don't need to be reinvented. 2F has a designated application, as do all the other granulations. We're not smarter than our ancestors...obviously!

3F works in larger bores but is not the optimum choice.

When the X ring is on the line, I'll shoot whatever works best and so far it's 3f

Back