• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

# 4 Buck Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10 gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one else out here load #4 buckshot for coyotes, Bobcat and Fox.
My load in my Brown bess is 75grs FFg one 1/8" op wad, one 1/2" fiber wad, one thin os wad, 27 pellets of #4 Bk and one thin os wad.

I use a similar load in my 20 ga. Trade Gun, but not as much powder (about 60gr 2fg) and 18-20 or so #4 buckshot. I haven't used it on anything living yet, just a woods walk load for hostiles.

I have had better performance with #4 buck then with larger sizes of buckshot.
During turkey season in my double 10 ga, my right barrel is loaded with lead BB and my left barrel is loaded with #4 buck. I have yet to ever have a turkey escape this combination. :wink:

I remember when I was younger we had a wounded deer on some property we owned and I grabbed the first gun out of the rack which was an old Winchester 12 Heavy Duck and loaded up with some #4 buck. The deer didn't make it out of the grove, but it did take a run which ended in me emptying that gun on it at less than 20 yards. To make a long story short I was not impressed with hte results. The deer died, but it always seemed to me that it should have worked a heck of a lot better than it did.

The under fur on a coyote does two specific things regarding shot from a shotgun.

1. It acts like a shock absorber.
2. It acts like an instant bandage.

smaller shot simply does not have the energy to penetrate the fur and hide of a coyote.
BB is OK for fox and bobcat. #4 buck is the best all around choice for coyote. If I had to pick one for all three it would be #4 buck.

I have not used a shotgun for predators in a long time but do speak from experience. www.predatorhunters.com

Pat Cameron
PJC

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my 12 loaded with #4 buck for coyotes quite often. Once several year ago, one of my Jack Russels was raising hell out in the yard. I heard a coyote yipping and yodeling out in the pasture trying to lure that little dog out there. I went outside with my smokepole and a jacklight. That stupid yote just stood there in the light looking at us. My squirrel dog would bark and growl and run out about ten yards and that yote would come in just a little closer. The whole time I had a spotlight right on him. My little dog lured him in to about 40 yards and I lost patience and rolled the coyote. He jumped up and ran, but Maxine( the aforementioned feist)and I found him dead the next day about 200 yards from the house.Number four also works well on feral cats,but thats another story.

Back