• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 caliber deer loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hand cast ball from a lee mold,60gr Fffg goex,015 pillow ticking lubed with my beeswax olive oil recipe,and a 45 cal ox yoke wad over the powder.(from my ruger old army revolver) :thumbsup:

I've been shooting 40 grains of 3F Goex in my Green mt .40 barrel. Accuracy is great, but I think it is too light for deer. When the .40 ball is compared to 45, 50 & 54 balls, it sure looks kind of tiny. I will appreciate any thoughts others may wish to share in regards to how the .40 has worked for them on either deer or small game.

Today a friend who had never shot a ml before came over. I let him shoot my Green Mt .40 on a TC Hawken. Had I been willing to sell it, he would have bought it on sight. Told him to spend some time on here and study up, before he buys anything.

Has anyone run any .40 cal loads over the screen to see what kind of vel is possible?? What's the hot's loads in a .40 anyone has had luck with??

If you already have a .40cal, what results did you get testing the double ball load?

Roundball,
I failed to remember to try that today when I was at the range. You know how it is when we get to our age. Besides that was a test you were going to do, and report back to us on. :wink:

My chronograph tells me 40grns Goex 3F gives 1678fps with a .390" ball. 60grns gives 1848fps while upping the charge 5 grains to 65grns gives 1920fps.

I plan going to a larger 395" ball and would expect higher velocities.

Rat Trapper said:
Roundball,
I failed to remember to try that today when I was at the range. You know how it is when we get to our age. Besides that was a test you were going to do, and report back to us on. :wink:

:nono:
I thought you wanted to know so you might make a decision on "getting" a .40cal...so you are hereby now your own official double ball tester in your own gun where it makes the most sense.
:grin:

I'll start carrying a PRB with me on afternoon squirrel hunts with my .54cal smoothbore, and an hour before dark, pull the shot charge and seat a PRB...sit for that last Doe tag since I've already driven to an area
:thumbsup:

Rb, I do all my casting. I must have well over 30 molds of 9 or 10 different brands. Trouble is now that I plan to try .395" ball another mold might be called for. Think I'll order a few to try from Eddie May.

Lee mold, by the way.

It seems the .40 is very popular here. I sure like mine. When I picked up my 45 TC Hawken, it was going to be my target rifle, but it may get replaced in that role by the .40.

RT, check the Flintlock section...I ran accuracy tests yesterday on the .40cal double ball load.

Roundball,
I saw it this morning. Ya did a good job. Very interesting project. Thanks, I think next year you will be trying it on a deer. How is the .40 working on squirrels?

It is raining outside today. So I am shooting from my key board. Sure like my .40 and impressed with the accuracy I get from it. Thought I'd see if we can keep this tread going in hopes someone else who is being kept inside due to weather will post here. Thanks all for your info.

Here is Carole with a .40 caliber 38" barreled flintlock I built to her fit. She does not have the hand strength to load the .50 Thompson Center MLs she and her husband have, so wanted a rifle that fit her and she could load easily. Utah law requires a ball weight of at least 150 grains for deer hunting, and the game warden suggested using a double ball load. I experimented with them, starting with 35 grains of Goex 3F and .380 patched balls, and found that the velocity dropped about 400 fps. I doubled the powder load to 70 grains and one ball velocity was 2201 fps but two patched balls went 1765 fps. This was the load Carole used to shoot this mule deer buck at about 80 yards. It was a raking shot from the rear. One ball hit the hip bone but the second penetrated the body, through the liver, to stop against the hide, full body penetration. The deer walked off and laid down. She went up and used a finishing shot to kill him.
Caroledeer.jpg

I have since built her a custom .50 flintlock so she doesn't have to double-ball loads again. Here she is on her 50th wedding anniversary, with Carl.
Carole50.jpg

Herb,
Looks like you do some pretty good work. Nice to hear the report on the double ball load.

Very nice looking rifle and congratulations on the 50th anniversary...coming up on 45 ourselves

Loyalist Dave said:
.380 wheel weight ball, and 60 grains of 3Fg..., we are required to use 60 grains minimum, no double ball loads allowed... so went to a much harder ball than all lead to ensure farthest penetration.

LD

Did ya get one?

Back