• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 did it then

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw where .38 cal up is legal for Deer in Wv. Guess I learned something I should have already known. :) Larry Wv

Kenneth said:
I figured with the mass of a .36 cal conical like the maxi ball that the terminal energy would be way more than sufficient to provide the kind of killing force even without a head shot. I don't think a conical for the .40 cal exists unless one has it custom made.

Energy is irrelevant at BP velocities. Its th diameter of the hole.
The Maxi has a dismal reputation on game. The Maxi, from reliable reports, tends to go off track when striking game unless fired from a faster twist than the typical 48" used in TCs etc. So a perfectly placed shot may miss the vitals since the bullet fails to track. I have had this happen with cartridge guns and its not a mistake I would want to repeat. The maxi also fails to expand, the large grease grooves allow the front driving band to fold into the groove and this inhibits expansion.
I would rather use a 40-45 caliber RB than a 36 maxi.
Since a 22LR will kill deer with chest shots almost anything will work if placed right.
But the smaller bores do not work as well as the larger ones. I have no caliber limitation where I live but I would hesitate to use a 40 because the ranges where I live are sometimes farther than I would want to shoot a 40, though I have one. I might use it next year if I can get on the right property to hunt.

Dan

I am a deer hunter, both traditional archery and firearm. That said...a person should know their gear, and their own limitations and behave accordingly. Case in point, I use a 49 pound recurve...I can hit an 8" circle consisitantly at 40 yds....I shoot my deer at 25 and closer period. With my 45 longrifle I ring gongs at 100 yds....on deer with prb's...if it ain't 40 yds or closer...I pass.

ahh.... very interesting thread.

missouri, where i live . 40 cal, is min.

most everybody who shoots BP, that i know of use the .45 or a .50

[most common] and most are the old CVA's,

i've used my pop's old CVA .50 years ago, but havent never shot a deer more that 50 yards away.

i do have a underhammer , that mic's out at about .43 caliber, once i get it properly set up. i'ed use it for deer.

we'll see ?

Back