• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 1851 served well when called on.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, all this time I'm thinking it was a feral cat you put down and I feel as Kaypow does...any dead cat is a good cat...but ye held steady and shot true under dangerous conditions...my hats off to ye my lady :hatsoff: and if ye don't mind I'm going to have a shot or two of Crown on your behalf! :v

No I love my pussy cats.
It was my tom cat that let me first know something was wrong. He came bolting in the house at warp speed and ran past his food dish fluffed out and then the dogs bolted out the door right as he came in!
He never runs past his food dish without an inspection. Part of his ritual when he comes in.

Anyways, it shows me that one of these old pistols is capable if needed. But I think I need a better option.

I'd much rather have to shoot a deer than a predator or large dog with a BP pistol. Chances are the first shot was deadly as it was point blank, but it wasn't instant, so it got triple taped before it quit moving.

Did you inspect the lion at all? Any idea what his problems were caused by? Sounds like you did him a solid favour. Kinder than natures way I'm sure.

I used to work with a Policeman in outback Australia that was at work one day when two road workers came in all flustered saying that a lion had chased them. Thinking it was a practical joke he grabbed his rifle out of his locker and went for a look-see with them.

That afternoon he became the only guy to shoot a free range African lion in Australia. Lucky S.O.B.! No one ever claimed it either.

It is sad too see the most magnificent cat in north America in such harsh condition. I have wanted to see one of these critters for a long time. I mean imagine a cat that can pounce 10 yard leaps and be on a deer or elk in no time. A true predator at its finest. Bottom line is, you performed the most respectable duty even if it did not happen as fast as you preferred. It was faster than nature would have intended. If you need a more powerful pistol, there is always the walker I guess :idunno: . But don't feel bad, I am sure even the great cat would thank you now.

P.S. I am having a VO in your honor right now.

Given the situation, you did PRECISELY the CORRECT & HUMANE thing.

I salute your bravery, as that cat might easily have turned man-eater.

yours, satx

You betcha...cats or dogs coming in a warp speed is a sure sign of something going on! They have a far better grasp on survival than we do! :wink: :haha:

When you first posted "wild cat in miserable condition" I was thinking feral house cat too. The later comment about taking three shots made me think it was nerves or jitters. Now you casually go "Mountain Lion" and I get the :shocked2: look! My hat's off to you Cyndi! :hatsoff:

Well if that wasn't the finest job of understating a story since Sgt. York said he did his bit.

BLOODY HELL! You ran out in the yard armed with a .44 blackpowder revolver to dispatch a wounded Mt. lion at spitting distance. When I think how many hunters have flubbed scoped rifle shots at treed lions :doh:

You know all us from the south & west have to call you ma'am for at least a month. (it's a law I think)

Sean Gadhar said:
You know all us from the south & west have to call you ma'am for at least a month. (it's a law I think)
No "thinking" about it! Tip your hat and say, "Yes Ma'am!"
The lady won her spurs around here, for sure and certain! :hatsoff:

After I have sat and thought on it and considered things it occurs to me I pulled a fool stunt by getting so close to that cat.
In my defense my dog was right next to the cat trying to sniff its mauled leg. The only way I was going to take the shot was to get close enough for point blank.
I had two thoughts in my mind mainly:
1. I had to protect my dog.
2. I could not let that cat get away into the forest in the condition it was in.

It didn't occur to me I may not have enough gun until it took the first bullet and threatened me. Second shot it turned tail to run, third shot stopped it from moving.

More momma instincts for my dog than guts and braveness to be honest.

WOW! :bow:

Curious ma'am, what was your revolver loaded with and how long did you have it loaded? Respond when you feel like it, no hurry, recomend you have some more whiskey if you like first. On that, after that only one whiskey?

Heck of a way to start a new year.

Glad you and your animals are alright. With all respect ma'am :hatsoff:

I was using a .454 roundball over 22 grains of Goex 3F, 10 grains of cornmeal and a wonder wad. Caps are the Remington #10.
The pistol had been loaded about 4 months and every chamber fired on the drop of the hammer. (had to clean out the rest of them to clean...)
Just a few minutes ago I looked over the kill site and found one of my roundballs on the ground. It had completely passed through and then hit a rock or the side of the building or the BBQ and dinged it a bit. Soft lead and no expansion at all.

I made the claim (read boast) I'd eat cabbage for a week if every chamber of my revolver didn't fire when shot first go. Don't have to eat no cabbage.

Amazing...four months without a hitch.

Been a while since I've done alot of cap and ball shooting, but 22 grains seems a little light, as I recall 28 to 30 was more common as a load for that caliber revolver. This 1851 a brass frame? Still great it performed as it should at that loading.

Again :hatsoff: !

Yes brass frame. I shoot 22 grains as it is what the pistol agrees with in it. If it was a steel frame I would probably bring it up to a full 30-35 grains. In the close quarters a pistol is typically used, I wouldn't consider 22 grains of 3F goex a light charge.
At point blank at least one of my bullets passed clean through.

Hmm, the more I shoot traditional guns with roundball and lighter powder charges, the more I believe the roundball with a light or moderate charge of black powder has been denigrated unfairly.

I think you were right to load a brass frame with a "lighter" charge as it would not have withstood a very long career of "normal" charges. It certainly seemed to get the job done. I wonder when the last time someone used a cap and ball in a similar (defensive) situation?

Now to the cat...what do you want to do with it? Skin it and have a rug? Take it to a taxidermist?Just leave it in the forest for nature to take it's course?

Again ma'am I am in awe of your courage under fire and certainly would not want to be on the recieving end of your "courage" :hatsoff:

the cat will sit on the forest floor and be reclaimed by nature until spring
come spring time I will collect what I can find and it will go to a Native American who has asked for the remains

Back