• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 1851 served well when called on.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished reading the entire thread. I'm thinking I would have been reaching for the 12ga instead of a BP revolver for something larger than a bobcat, BUT, you accomplished the task. You and your critters are safe, and the suffering cat was put down. :bow:

No need to be sad. I would have done the same thing. I am sure everyone else here at TMF would have done the same. But perhaps not as ballsy as going so close with a pistol like that. My only hope is that you will get something else other than a loaded Navy in case you get an intruder some day.

mark3smle said:
No need to be sad. I would have done the same thing. I am sure everyone else here at TMF would have done the same. But perhaps not as ballsy as going so close with a pistol like that. My only hope is that you will get something else other than a loaded Navy in case you get an intruder some day.
Amen! Try a Walker or Dragoon...plenty of "oompf" there! Give'em hell girl!! :thumbsup:

Leaving it in the forest is fine. Giving the remains to someone who will honor it is a good idea. You weren't hunting for it, it found you. It's completely understandable. Take care ma'am.

I miss my Dragoon I had back in my youth.

A Dragoon or Walker in my safe would likely be loaded with bullets instead of roundballs and 30-40 grains of 3F.
I don't know how that load would work on an animal but it is plenty deadly on mankind so I imagine it would work just as well on critters.

An 1858 Remington will hold north of 35gr fffg under a ball or 450229 hollow based conical. My Uberti groups extremely well will full charges of fffg under either, and doesn't suffer the weight consequence of a Walker or Dragoon.

At close range a load of shot will make a single entrance and may not exit. Back when I was a teen I was out hunting small game when the dog suddenly wouldn't react to me calling. I found her staring down a large raccoon, so I gave it a blast of 20ga. It made a hole in the top of the head, but not a single pellet exited the head or neck. That is why I would have been reaching for my 12ga double had I encountered your "cat".

Either gun would do well, with that load, on varmints 2-legged or 4! In fact, the round ball has much better penetration than most think. Unless you managed to hit the spine of shoulder joint, the balls would probably gone through & through with expansion. They're good terminal projectiles...maybe a bit small if bears are a problem but adequate for most of the predator world.

Well done Cynthialee. I just bought that same pistol, but mine is still in the box. The weather ,in Tennessee, has been autrocious, since the first of the year. Looking forward to nicer conditions. What was your load? I was thinking about starting with 20 grains of 3F......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
Well done Cynthialee. I just bought that same pistol, but mine is still in the box. The weather ,in Tennessee, has been autrocious, since the first of the year. Looking forward to nicer conditions. What was your load? I was thinking about starting with 20 grains of 3F......Robin

I was using a .454 roundball over 22 grains of Goex 3F, 10 grains of cornmeal and a wonder wad. Caps are the Remington #10.

Last edited by a moderator:
It obviously worked! Still a shame it came to that but I hope you know how proud we all of what you did for a poor injured animal! :hatsoff:

sorry about that, but it was best for the animal. I have had similar instances with deer that have had a leg missing, even once with a bottom jaw shot away by some creep with no respect for a living being.
that is why i could never become a vet...they have to put to sleep to many little fellows....
your not alone that you have feelings, even God notes "when the sparrow falls"....

of all the animals i have known, my horses were the closest to my heart...but we don't have the farm anymore, I like my kats best, the dogs are ok, but kitties just are plain fun.....here's the newest rescue~he's a dork, and will make anyone laugh with his antics....
1026131403a_zpsbded86ca.jpg

leftiecute_zpse0cc0a59.jpg

1120130714_zps29929cff.jpg

Love the bottom photo...you can just see his little noggin running the possibilities about jumping on the lighthouse 'pretty'! :wink: :haha:

Tom-Tom Jr. ! :thumbsup: . Now just to get him in the work shop and let Tom-Tom teach him how to build a rifle! :grin: .

AGREED 100%

Personal to Cynthialee: And Jesus said unto his brethren, "And they who have done it unto the least of these, he hath done it unto me."

yours, satx

Gawd, I hope it weren't one o'them thar evil self-loading rifles, but he WAS a government jonnop so no fears mate!
:rotf:

Jeez, that WAS brave of you. His condition may have been misleading. I see how big that claw is compared to the bullet. Regardless, you did right and did well!

I too would have grabbed at-hand "modern" with 12 Ga. one ounce express #4 Buckshot or my diminutive Buffalo Bore loaded 9mm Makarov. MAYBE a boar spear. But .44 BP revolver? Sure, with 40 grains of 3f...

Back