• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 cal killing power

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .44 cal rifle and will use it for deer hunting. Let's say that it is accurate up to 100 yards and shooting roundball. My target is a 175 lb. deer. How far should I shoot at? Oh yeah and it is loaded with 75 grains of powder and a .433 ball.

A .44 ball isn't very heavy so it loses velocity fast. I think I'd limit my shots at deer to about 75 yards or less.

Haven't tried a rifle, but I was definitely NOT impressed with the performance of 44 C&B revolver. Based on that, I'd say don't shoot so far that your impact velocity drops below 1000 fps. Nothing scientific in it, but an easy # to derive if you're looking for numbers.

My personal rule regardless of caliber is to be able to get myself in to a situation where I can take all my shots within 50 yards. Your ball and load should perform well on deer out to 50 yards with no problem. A rule of thumb is that your ball should be carrying 500 ft-lbs of energy when it hits the target. Assuming you're getting 1800fps at the muzzle your ball will start with 880 ft-lbs at the muzzle and drop down to around 1200fps and 400ft-lbs at 50 yards. That should be plenty of energy for a well placed shot in the "boiler room" of the deer.

Trench said:
My personal rule regardless of caliber is to be able to get myself in to a situation where I can take all my shots within 50 yards. Your ball and load should perform well on deer out to 50 yards with no problem. A rule of thumb is that your ball should be carrying 500 ft-lbs of energy when it hits the target. Assuming you're getting 1800fps at the muzzle your ball will start with 880 ft-lbs at the muzzle and drop down to around 1200fps and 400ft-lbs at 50 yards. That should be plenty of energy for a well placed shot in the "boiler room" of the deer.

Trench, I think your calculation is too negative. A RB which starts at the muzzle with 880 lps doesn't loose that much energy at 50 yds as you described. According to the Lyman bp handbook, a .44/.45 RB with 80 grs Goex FFFg starts with 985 ftlps at the muzzle and ends with 306 ftlps at 100 yds. So at 50 yds it will have about 600-700 ftlps.That's enough power to bring every deer down.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Sorry, I should have clarified better.

.433 ball starting at 1800fps:

At muzzle 1800/880,
50 ydards 1200/400,
100 yards 959/250

I'm using a round ball calculator I got off the internet. It may not be spot on, but it seems to be close. The bottom line is that Luie should feel confident to take deer within 50 yards with his rifle and maybe a little farther once he feels confident with shot placement.

I believe I remember reading a story of a .45 shooter on this forum who took a doe at 90 yards with his rifle. I believe it ran some, but he took the deer.

Hi Trench,

thanks for the more detailed measurements. Which load is used to get this results?

Regards

Kirrmeister

For many years I hunted with 2 .45 round ball guns. One a H&A buggy rifle the other a custom Lancaster style longrifle. Both shot a .440 RB with .015 pillow ticking the H&A like 65 grains FF and the long rifle prefered 70 grains. All my shots on deer where limited to 50 yards and less due to circumstance. The most memberable was a 15 yard shot at a small 5 pointer with the H&A. The deer ran a straight line for 80 yards and dropped dead as a hammer. The ball left an entrance and exit hole taking out both lungs cleanly. Another was a 50 yard shot at a big 257 pound buck with an odd 6-point rack. The same rifle with a neck shot dropped him in his tracks. The point of all this happens to be that the .44-.45 is a capable little deer rifle assuming that you find the optimum load for your rifle, use exacting shot placement and don't over extend it beyond what the rifle is ballisticly capable.

John

I agree with what others have told you about the .44 rd. ball. When using it, I would keep all my shots at 50 yds or less.
I don't know what the books say about ballistics, bullet energy, or velocity. I have no interest in such things. My criteria is much less scientific.
I simply set up a 2x6 pine board and shoot it. If the rd. ball passes completely through the board than I consider it an adequate hunting load for deer. So, if the rd. ball passes through the board at 50yds, then it is good for that range. However, if the ball sticks inside the board at 60 yds, then I would not shoot game with it at that range.

Kirrmeister said:
Hi Trench,

thanks for the more detailed measurements. Which load is used to get this results?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I have seen load data that puts the .43/.44 PRB at around 1800 fps with 80gr of FFFg. I just wanted to give Luie an idea what his ball was doing within 100 yards.

I used a number of different .45 and two .44 rifles for deer for several years and felt good out to 75 yds with a good rest and a deer caught unawares, I tried for 50yds whenever possible but have taken deer at both distances and closer without a long tracking experience, usually ten to 25 yds is as far as any went, I don't push them after I shoot, I take a long break and reload then look for the animal.

I use the pine 2x4 test for round balls too. I can punch a .40 cal ball through a 2x4 at 60 yards. My 50 can do it farther. I dont care about paper ballistics. You are throwing a hunk of lead almost a half inch in diameter. If you can punch a .433 ball through both lungs you have cube steaks and gravy.

All the deer I've shot with the .440 prb have been one shot kills. The farthest was a 75 yard shot with complete penetration (H&A under hammer, 65 grains 3f). The others ranged from maybe 25 to 50 or so yards. I'd have to say I trust the .45 up to at least 75 yards, maybe farther. Foot pounds be d*%#?d, pardon me. The prb is lethal all out of proportion to its energy level. Use the .44 - .45 with confidence, just shoot accurately.

one thing the ones spounting paper ballistics don't seen to remember is deer don't read. all the deer i have ever shot were one shot kills. the one i had to chase the longest distance was shot end to end with a .30-40 karg at 30 yds.
i have drooped a buck at 100 yds. with a .45 60gr 3f.

Latest posts

Back