• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4F Main Charge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Lyman's 1975 BP book they show for .44 cal.
28 gr.3F-vel. 861-pressure 8820.
28 gr.4F-vel. 885-pressure 8480.
both loads uses Goex and pressure was less for the 4F.

Cap and ball revolvers have small chambers that restrict how much powder can be put in there and still have room for the wad and ball. Using FFFFg is an atempt to get some kind of reasonable velocity out of a small amount of powder. However, it is impossible to "double charge" one: a double charge won't fit. Let's not confuse the issue here.

laffindog said:
Cap and ball revolvers have small chambers that restrict how much powder can be put in there and still have room for the wad and ball. Using FFFFg is an atempt to get some kind of reasonable velocity out of a small amount of powder. However, it is impossible to "double charge" one: a double charge won't fit. Let's not confuse the issue here.

We're not confused. The statement was made that ffffg was ONLY a priming powder. I stated that it is also used as a revolver load powder. We are not advocating it as a rifle load powder. Lyman's tests show that it is as safe as fffg in revolvers using reasonable loads. No responsible person to my knowledge says it is safe for rifles, even though some folks have apparently used it and lived...

Mike
I went back to some of my old Lyman books and the Lyman Pistole & Revolver Handbook copyright 1978 has several pages of ballaistic tables showing the use of 4fg powder for cap and ball revolvers. They also give pressures, so if any of you guys are really interested you could check this out.
I was also told that 4fg powder does not have the graphite coating on it and thats why it picks up moisture so fast compared to the other sizes. Now I don't know if that is true or not.

My 2001 Lymans BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL doesn't have any listings for FFFF powder. Not even for the little .31 cal pistols.

I suspect there may be good reasons for it's omission.

zonie :)

Zonie said:
My 2001 Lymans BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL doesn't have any listings for FFFF powder. Not even for the little .31 cal pistols.

I suspect there may be good reasons for it's omission.

zonie :)
Yeah, and two of them are Darwin award candidates, and lawyers. :rotf:

Bill

Paul, present company exempted, yer one of us. We even sometimes ferget yer one of them. :rotf:
It's gotta make you need a hard shell, being associated with those that give the profession such a black eye.

Bill

Bill: Thank you for the compliment. But you have to speak up if I am going to hear through my suit of armour! :rotf:

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
Paul, present company exempted, yer one of us. We even sometimes ferget yer one of them. :rotf:
It's gotta make you need a hard shell, being associated with those that give the profession such a black eye.

Bill

Funny. Even I tell lawyer jokes. Yet my Dad was a lawyer (and FBI Agent). My grandfather was a lawyer (and judge). One uncle was a lawyer. And two cousins were lawyers (all now deceased). I always figured I was the black sheep, being a geologist....

Latest posts

Back