• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal hawken vs hog?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinhuntman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. Could a 50 cal hawken kill a hog like a big hog. I shoot prb and 80 grains of ff goex in my tc hawken at deer how would that do or would I need to use a maxi hunter and a different charge for big hogs

Put that PRB in TIGHT behind the shoulder,preferably quartering away a little,and you're makin bacon!! Good luck!!

nothing on earth can survive a .490 caliber roundball passing through its' vitals
Now granted there are some critters that should be hunted with a bigger gun than a .50 but don't think you are underguned with that load.
That Hawken will make meat out of a pig in short order.

Well the .50 is really a bridge between a squirel gun and a small-deer gun... Precise aim will probably kill a pig. Now a .54, THAT is a gun! :wink:

Although not with a ML, my last hog was with a 4.5" .22 LR pistol at 40yds. The hog wasn't huge by any means, just 175-200 lbs, but it was taken with a single shot just behind the elbow that took out the heart, both lungs, and passed clean through out the other side. Your .50 along with the load you listed is MORE than plenty if you put the ball where it belongs. Enjoy the meat and the hunt, and don't worry.

yep but you better shoot it better than the last time we were @ the range :grin: and remember dryballing is not good :haha: More like your first range trip with the Hawken would be better :stir:
PawPaw :thumbsup:

cynthialee said:
nothing on earth can survive a .490 caliber roundball passing through its' vitals
Now granted there are some critters that should be hunted with a bigger gun than a .50 but don't think you are underguned with that load.
That Hawken will make meat out of a pig in short order.

I am curious how many animals you have killed with that load to come to that opinion? Ron

go ahead... tell me what animal on gods green earth that can survive a .50 inch hole in its heart and lungs?

edit to add: I did state in my original response that larger animals should be hunted with larger guns.

I'm with you on this one at least on this continent. Now I live in Texas and people shoot hogs with darned near anything. I know of several that have been killed with 17 HMR's so I think the 50 will get the job done! They are pretty easy to kill if you shoot them in the ear. They do not stay still long though! :wink: Geo. T.

I am just wanting to know how many game animals you have used that load on. You give the info like you have a fair amount of knowledge of the subject. Believe it or not hitting one lung on an elk does not mean your going to notch a tag. Ron

A Maxi would give you a better chance of penetration if things don't go perfect. I always allow a bit of leeway for not so perfect things that can and do happen in the real world. Larry

I watch a show on TV and they were killing hogs with a pellet gun with a single shot to the brain stem, instant kills. Hogs are not really that hard to kill. 50 will do the job without issue.

Idaho Ron said:
I am just wanting to know how many game animals you have used that load on. You give the info like you have a fair amount of knowledge of the subject. Believe it or not hitting one lung on an elk does not mean your going to notch a tag. Ron

apparently you need to work on your aim if a 50 cal aint doing the job for ya Ron. i believe she did specify that ya need to hit the critter where it counts. not sure why ya feel the need to pick on her. :shake:

-matt

I used to hunt hogs with a 50 cal hawkens it killed the manure out of all game, I dropped a 300lb black bear with it at 80 yards and it went 25 yards and died. I think her assessment is spot on and I agree with her all day long. Only difference I was shooting 75 grains. Something else to think about my 390 grain arrow, shot at 272 fps blows right through the deer as well,as the complete pass threws on the hogs all over GA and almost complete pass throughs on shots on boars 300 plus. Almost ever hog shot with the 50 cal the bullet stopped on the far side inside the hide, the fat in the hogs soak up alotta energy. But I have broken the shoulders on 250 lb hogs at 40 yards with a 50 cal prb and 75 grains of powder as well on slightly missed shots. Its more then enough gun if you hit the vitals at a good angle to take out both lungs the bullet will take out both, you guess the angle wrong and take out one lung it isnt the bullet its your point of impact. Aim small miss small

cynthialee said:
go ahead... tell me what animal on gods green earth that can survive a .50 inch hole in its heart and lungs?

edit to add: I did state in my original

Elephant...........probably a larger Cape Buffalo too.

LOL, sorry couldn't help it.

Also, FWIW, If you single lung a decent pig you're not going to find him either. They can get by just fine on one lung.

go ahead... tell me what animal on gods green earth that
Nope not even Godzilla can/could "survive a .50 inch hole in its heart and lungs"?
Snickers and Orange juice for everyone!!!!!!
The original question,,Yes,if you put the shot in the correct place,

Back