• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 caliber CVA Kentucky / size ball & patch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been shooting a CVA Kentucky rifle for a couple of years and I have found that it is difficult to load with the wooden ram rod. What is the best combination of ball size and patch thickness that would still cause accuracy and easiy load with the wooden ram rod.

Thanks,
Logan

I've had two of em, both of em liked 85 grains of FFG, a hornady .490 round ball, and .10 wonderlube patch. Good load for target or hunting. They shot ok with pyrodex but better with the real stuff. Good luck and have fun.

logan said:
I have been shooting a CVA Kentucky rifle for a couple of years and I have found that it is difficult to load with the wooden ram rod.

Logan

I have a CVA Kentucky in 45cal.so I'm not much help there. But I can tell you that wooden ram rods can be very hard on finger or hands if they break. I was lucky you could say. When my wooden ram rod broke and went threw my little finger. I now use thiner patches with the same accuracy. But I use a brass range rod and synthectic rod.

logan said:
.498 balls and .015 patches and .020 patches

!!!!

0.498+2*0.015=0.518 in a .500 bore. With a wood rod. Man, you're living dangerously.

Go to .490 ball; the .015 patch should be ok with that. And get a brass rod.

I'm with Mykeal here. You are deffinitely using a TIGHT fitting combination there. I'm using a .490 ball and a .018 pillow tick patch. Try both .015 and .018 and see what it likes best with a .490 ball. I'm able to thumb start mine with a .015 patch.

I concure.

my mold throws a .492, that and an .015 patch shoots well, but doesnt thumb start.

One item needed in this "Game of ours" is a good micrometer. Everyone should have one!

Back