• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 Cal ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Mehlig

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Gentlemen: I live in Easton, PA and currently own a Left Handed 50cal Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker. I've harvested a few deer with this gun and love it, but was thinking of getting a 54cal. All of my shots are under 75yds. Should I get another Deerstalker with a 1-48" twist and shoot connicals or should I go with a PRB and get the Lyman Great Plains or Great Plains hunter?

Thanks...Ed

Considering your requirements...any of the stated options would do. Also...your present rifle "did the job", so why change?.....Fred

I agree, but I can't fault the impulse to get a 54 just cuzz. They're dandy too.

I just checked and can't find a Lyman listing for a lefty 54 cal replacement barrel for your gun, but there's an even cheaper option. If you're dead set on a 54, why not have it rebored? Cost you less than half that of a new barrel if you could get one.

My view....have exsisting barrel rebored...6 mon. wait :(
find-buy rh 54 cal.barrel..plug touch hole..drill and tap for lh flint.
Done.
3 weeks max. :grin: Bonus...then you'd have two barrels to chose from.

Good luck and report back... :v

Ed Mehlig said:
Gentlemen: I live in Easton, PA and currently own a Left Handed 50cal Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker. I've harvested a few deer with this gun and love it, but was thinking of getting a 54cal. All of my shots are under 75yds. Should I get another Deerstalker with a 1-48" twist and shoot connicals or should I go with a PRB and get the Lyman Great Plains or Great Plains hunter?

Thanks...Ed

After reading all the negative posts in the "New GPR - not impressed" discussion, a GPR would be last on my list. Maybe a rock and golf club would be an upgrade to a GPR.

I would get adjustable sights on the club and a perfectly round rock as an option. Maple grip on the club with checkering.

rde

I really like the Lyman Great Plains rifle with the 1:60 twist for roundballs. I have shot this rifle for several years and it will simply flatten a Mule deer. I try to keep my shots under 100 yards, but I have shot them out to 120. The 54 is a great caliber and is useful for a wide range of game. Nothing against the 50 cal. though.

I would just stick with the 50. Going up to 54 will only be a little heavier. Now if you saw a good deal or you really have your mind set on it then why not. I did like the extra barrel idea. I have a Cabelas Hawkin and it's nice to be able to switch between 50 and 58.

Mooman76 said:
I would just stick with the 50. Going up to 54 will only be a little heavier. Now if you saw a good deal or you really have your mind set on it then why not. I did like the extra barrel idea. I have a Cabelas Hawkin and it's nice to be able to switch between 50 and 58.
Actually a 54 caliber in a GPR is going to be lighter since the 50 and 54 are both 15/16 barrels. Just saying less metal equals lighter weight and the 54 GPR balance better as well.

I am a fan of the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and an even bigger fan of the .54 caliber round ball.

Nothing against the .50 but the .54 is by far my favorite.

At 75 yards a round ball will kill a deer just as dead as a conical with a well placed shot and do it for a whole lot less $ and with less recoil.

The Great Plains will have the same lock as your Deerstalker so you have most likely already figgered out how to deal with their quirks. The Great Plains is an entirely different rifle in every other sense tho. If possible try to handle and shoot one before you make your decision. Some people love 'em and some hate 'em. The way the rifle is shouldered is not the same as with the Deerstalker due to the different style of buttstock.
If you decide to get a Great Plains, take off the factory installed adjustable rear sight and replace it with the fixed rear sight ASAP. Better sight picture and no slop. Gotta tighten it up in the dovetail tho. There are several ways to do that.

:hmm: Seems like a perfectly good reason to buy another rifle. :thumbsup:

I own a couple of .54s and am a fan of that caliber. Well, I am a fan of all muzzleloading calibers but the .54 is just a sweet caliber. I have owned a couple GPRs and they are good guns. I don't know what GPR some of the folks on another part of this forum are talking about. My GPRs were sweet shooting, well made rifles.

I would get a .54 GPR. With a .54 caliber ball, who needs a conical? Not to mention the recoil and cost. I have two .54 GPRs, one percussion and one flint I built from a kit. Excellent accuracy out to 100 yards. My son in law's birthday is next month, so I ordered him a .54 GPR flint kit. You don't need a reason...just get it :v

2_Tall said:
Mooman76 said:
Actually a 54 caliber in a GPR is going to be lighter since the 50 and 54 are both 15/16 barrels. Just saying less metal equals lighter weight and the 54 GPR balance better as well.

I should have been more specific. I meant to lead projectile.

IIRC, if we're talking projectile weight, then there's close to 25% more weight to the .530" ball as opposed to the .490", which does the shooter more good than the added .04". Now if you're trying to use less lead, then the .50 has the advantage, but if you want increased performance, I would recommend the .54. I have both, and like both, but definitely prefer the .54 over the .50 caliber.

You aren't far from Dixon's muzzleloading. Why don't you go and handle a few and see what feels good. The last time I was there they had plenty of Lyman's on the shelf, you could pick one that suits you and avoid the chance of getting a bad one.

I am just finishing up a GPR kit in 50 but I also found a 54 barrel for it. Now I don't have to make a choice. I can shoot the 50 at the range and the 54 for hunting.

If you were starting from scratch I'd say get the .54 and shoot patched round ball. They're darn effective. But if what you have now is working for you and you just want a change of pace I'd be really tempted to go larger (.58 is a great caliber too).

Of course, you can get excessive about it too. I notice Track of the Wolf has a used .58 double barrel rifle right now. That's different all right but I'm not sure how much you'll want to lug it around.

Back