• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 for Big Game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flehto said:
What you're neglecting...

:grin:

Not neglecting a thing Fred...and have no interest in arguing your personal dedication to the .54cal...it's a great caliber, have had them for years myself.
I simply made the following reply to your earlier statement and it's still as true now as it was a few hours ago.

roundball said:
flehto said:
We can surely surmise that if a .54 is doing the job on elk, then a .58 or .62 would do the job better. Really?
Yes, really.
"...In terms of upping the odds for a 125yd shot where a bull starts to turn just as the sear trips and then there's a big shoulder / leg / bone in the way of what you thought was a broadside lung shot by the time the ball gets there.
Its terminal ballistics...otherwise you could just hunt everything with a .22 rimfirre or a little .40cal PRB and they'd be as effective..."

Enjoy your .54cal...
:thumbsup:

So my cousin Shoots them other guns, and I noted when he went up in cal. he went way down in skill (too much thump). My only thought to add would be. . . . Try to shoot some before you buy. The biggest is good, the biggest that you will spend all afternoon shooting at the range, that you feel sure of, that you love to shoot. . may be better. Now this could mean a change in stock not Cal. But if your gona trust it ya gota love it(at least a little). Just my two cents. :idunno:

I have always felt that there is a trend to go overboard in caliber when hunting. The winchester 94 in 30-30 has taken just about all the game on this planet for decades until we decided we needed more. I have hunted deer, hogs and black bear with a compound bow so I feel very confident with my 54 in taking anything I care to hunt.

I have friends that use super large calibers to hunt with and can take an animal at 300 yards even with a bad hit. If that is what they like then that's their choice. Fred Bear took all kinds of game including elk and polar bears with a recurve bow so how much caliber do we really need.

roundball said:
flehto said:
We can surely surmise that if a .54 is doing the job on elk, then a .58 or .62 would do the job better. Really?
Yes, really.

In terms of upping the odds for a 125yd shot where a bull starts to turn just as the sear trips and then there's a big shoulder / leg / bone in the way of what you thought was a broadside lung shot by the time the ball gets there.
Its terminal ballistics...otherwise you could just hunt everything with a .22 rimfirre or a little .40cal PRB and they'd be as effective.

Well I happen to agree with Fred that the 54 is just about the perfect caliber for hunting in the west - which I have been doing since 1965 both as a private hunter and as a guide - both center fire (everything from a 250-300 to a 460 Weatherby) and muzzleloader.

In over 40 years of hunting elk, I've taken 25 elk - a mix of cows and bulls (mostly cows since I like to eat 'em - ya'll can keep them ole stinky bulls).
The weights ranged from 350 to over 700 lbs. 5 elk were taken with centerfires (30-06, 338-06, and a 45-90 Sharps single shot). The other 20 were taken with muzzleloaders - 16 with a 54 rifle, 1 with an 11 gauge original musket, 1 with a 16 bore original, and 2 with 58 cal NW guns. I've also been in on a couple hundred other elk kills with muzzleloaders and the 54 was used in the majority of them.
My longest shot was 110 yards - a going away shot with my 11 gauge on a wounded bull of about 600 lbs - up the spout and that great big ball wound up just under the skin in the chest - about 3.5 feet of penetration.
My second longest shot was with a 54 at 95 yards and it too was a going away shot on a bull of around the same weight - this ball, a 530 wheel weight over 90 grns 3f, wound up just a few inches short of the chest - about 3 feet of penetration. Ive also broken shoulders or driven the ball through them on 6 elk with my 54, 90-100 grns 3F and a WW ball (for hunting elk and black bear a harder ball is BETTER in my experience, especially for penetration) - so plenty of whompability even in that 54.
As for 125 yards shots - IMO they are seldom needed or recommended with a muzzleloader even out here(unless maybe you're hunting sage brush flats/prairie lands, but that's not the only type of country to hunt out here despite the impression that some others posting here may have given - the area I live and have hunted here in the 4 Corners for the last 17 years, is mostly pinyon/juniper high desert with lots of cover or the higher mountain areas of mixed mostly pine/aspen forests and meadows - it's like a lot of the west where it varies and a lot of what the country is like depends on elevation.

So while the bigger bores MAY do a bit better on the bigger western game in so far as terminal ballistics, as Fred and others have noted, that's just one part of the equation and overall the 54 for hunting in the west is THE optimum caliber. Yep terminal ballistics are important, but shot placement is even more so.
Others experiences/opinions will vary (and frankly if you haven't hunted big game in the west you're only offering an opinion, maybe one based on other experiences, but it's still an opinion), but my "opinion" is based on 48 years of hunting western big game (as well as guiding others) with a muzzleloader/pistol/center fire rifle including elk, mule deer, and black bear. I've noted my experience with bear in a previous post and as far as mule deer go they aren't any tougher or necessarily bigger (depends on where you are - locally the bucks average around 130-150 max pounds on the hoof) than eastern/mid-western white tails.

IMO - Rather than be too concerned over caliber, those who have never hunted out here and live at low elevations I would recommend getting in shape - the country can get rough, but for most folks it's the elevation that's the "killer" due to the lower oxygen levels - most of the best hunting areas here in the Rockies/Great Basin, especially for elk are 4,000' ASL or higher, going on up to plus 9,000' ASL. My house sits at 6,500' ASL and where I usually go for elk is 7500-8000' ASL.
To get in shape - Walk, jog, go out in the field with your gun as often as possible and if possible shoot it at various ranges and also uphill and downhill so you understand how it handles and shoots in varying conditions.
Still elevation can be a concern so if/when you come out west to hunt and it's at higher elevation, try coming out a week or so beforehand and just be here and experience what elevation can do to you. Elevation sickness, which may lead to death, can be a major health problem for some folks, especially above 9,000'.

anyway bottomline - if you do your part a 54 caliber will take anything on this continent, although for the big grizzle bears I'd pack of the center fire persuasion with more than one shot available - I've been up close and personal with old man grizzly a few times and it do raise the pucker factor and since I'm not limited to front loaders I'll go with the big bruisers like my old M71 in 450 Alaskan (basically a 458 winchester load in a lever action), the Marlin 450 guide gun, or last but far from least a double gun in 470 Nitro....

A lot of experience talking. Our elk camp is ENE of Dolores....in the San Juan. You're not too far away. Our area is a little higher and we hunt to 11,000 ft and the camp is at 10,000 ft which will "do you in" if not in shape. Have had 2 guys laid up because of altitude sickness...headaches and vomiting. Had to take them down to a motel in Dolores and one recovered and went on hunting.

My longest shot w/ my .54 was on an adult cow at 107 paces and she went 40 yds and collapsed. Nice thing about it...she ended up on her back in some trees and was ready for gutting. Wasn't so fortunate on some others...especially one that slid downhill and was wedged under a low log. Took me quite awhile to just get her so the gut was exposed.....Good luck on future hunts.....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
flehto said:
A lot of experience talking. Our elk camp is ENE of Dolores....in the San Juan. You're not too far away. Our area is a little higher and we hunt to 11,000 ft and the camp is at 10,000 ft which will "do you in" if not in shape. Have had 2 guys laid up because of altitude sickness...headaches and vomiting. Had to take them down to a motel in Dolores and one recovered and went on hunting.

My longest shot w/ my .54 was on an adult cow at 107 paces and she went 40 yds and collapsed. Nice thing about it...she ended up on her back in some trees and was ready for gutting. Wasn't so fortunate on some others...especially one that slid downhill and was wedged under a low log. Took me quite awhile to just get her so the gut was exposed.....Good luck on future hunts.....Fred

Lot less mess if you do not gut those big animals. Just run ur knife down the back and pull the hide towards you. Remove the back strap, front quarter & rear quarter. Roll animal over and repeat on other side. Last thing is to remove tender loins. When I am in bear country, I do not wish to smell like bear bait, so no gutting for me.

My son and his hunting buddies are just getting into "no gutting"....so far it's worked very well. The tenderloins are a little hard to get at and seeing they're quite large and prime eating, don't want to waste any. Needs a little refinement on getting them out. Thanks for your post......Fred

Cynthialee said:
Flater trajectory.

i do have to correct this statement, a 45 or 50 will have a flatter trajectory then a 54. the 54 will have more energy at greater distances but the heavier weight will also cause more drop. ya should see the rainbow trajectory of my 69 cal.

a 50 cal will kill anything in north america. this has been proven by many many people on this forum and others.

using larger calibers does provide advantages though. a larger caliber will deal with bone better and will penetrait more at longer distances. of course a larger caliber also makes a larger hole which can lead to less tracking or at least easier tracking due to more blood loss.

last year i shot a medium sized white tail on Cynthia's property with a 50 cal. the shot was at around 65 yards and wasnt made the greatest. i hit the thickest part of the right shoulder bone. the deer ended up running about 200 yards before laying down. would a 54 had done better... maby. but if i had just shot the deer in a better place it would not have been an issue. shot placement is key regardless of caliber!

-matt

When I first was considering my first BP rifle I figured that a .50 cal made the most sense. I can use a PRB for most anything, but if it's needed I can always use a conical.

flehto said:
Fred

Fred - is your spot then up around Lone Cone mtn? or farther east. That's some pretty country up there. Almost moved outside of Dolores when we first got here back in 1995, but it was too far for work.

Our camp is about 20 miles ENE from Dolores. Have hunted there since 1986, mainly w/ MLers but when no license was obtained, went bull archery and first regular rifle. Two hunts have "grabbed" me to the point of obsession....elk and ruffed grouse. You're very lucky to be living in the Rockies.....Fred

I think if that same shot had been made with the .54 it would have broken that shoulder and it would not have ran that far if any. I am sure a .58 would have put it down within a few yards.

Yes, the difference in energy / power of a .58cal compared to the small / medium .45/.50/.54cals is obvious and exponential.
Anyone who's taken a large number of big game over the years using the smaller calibers and then starts using a .58cal sees the big step-up immediately.
First hand hunting experiences with a .58cal compared to using it on big game previously taken with the smaller calibers shows the .58cal markedly operating up at a whole different level.
Truly a big game caliber that has high energy impact with its larger frontal area and mass, better penetration, larger wound channels, and carries higher energy to longer distances than any smaller calibers.
.58cal = Whompability.

Matt85 said:
Cynthialee said:
Flater trajectory.

i do have to correct this statement, a 45 or 50 will have a flatter trajectory then a 54. the 54 will have more energy at greater distances but the heavier weight will also cause more drop. ya should see the rainbow trajectory of my 69 cal.

a 50 cal will kill anything in north america. this has been proven by many many people on this forum and others.

b]

-matt

Actually the trajectory of the .54 RB is flatter then either the .45 or the .50

And as for "a 50 cal will kill anything in north america. this has been proven by many many people on this forum and others." So will a .22 long rifle. Its just shot placement, right? :wink:

Right; the bigger the ball, the less frontal area to weight of the lead. My 62 cal shoots much flatter at the same velocity as my 50 cal with round balls. I can and have reached out to 200 yards with my 62 Hawken.

As the size of the ball increases the Ballistic Coefficient increases as well. When I see people claim that the larger ball shoots flatter than the smaller ball at the same velocity the first thing that comes to my mind is HOW MUCH MORE POWDER DO YOU HAVE TO ADD TO GET THE SAME VELOCITY AS THE SMALLER ROUND?

If you compare trajectory with a fixed load of say 100 grains the smaller ball will be flatter. More importantly; not many people want to shoot 200 grains of powder to launch a 350 grain roundball when 70 grains under a .50 conical will do the job with much less kicking and screaming.

Actually, there were comments made something about "rainbow trajectories" and similar casual statements implying something horrible and unwanted...phrases that lack any real quantifiable meaning.
Instead of armchair theories, people who have actually spent serious time at the range with load development and comparison testing of .45/.50/.54/.58cal PRBs know that all else equal, differences in trajectory is negligible until distances past 100yds are tested, and with all things equal a heavier .54cal/.58cal ball will hold up better/further than a smaller/lighter ball.
For those who like casual tests, take a ping-pong ball and a base ball...throw each of them as hard as you can at a target 100-150 feet away.

There's another element for me. I freely acknowledge that a 50 cal RB and lots smaller will kill deer with aplomb. But the neighbor I photographed for my avatar has other opinions of what caliber is "enuff" for deer hunting in Alaska.

The kicking and screaming on my shoulder from my 58 or 62 calibers is nothing compared to what by butt will be doing with a thousand pounds of brown bear attached. :rotf:

I like your remark about the Grizzly ,have allways been amazed by them,have had the manure scared out of me by them around Glacier Montana a few yr ago just by seeing their sign which was really really fresh. :redface:

I can't imagine what it's like to hunt/kill a deer where there are big bears. I am not sure I would want to be out there at all without a repeating firearm. I think I would opt for a big heavy conical over a roundball if I were to do it. Bears do change the game a little.

Back