• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

69 Caliber Buck 'n Ball Ammo?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After watching a Hickock45 video on shooting .69 caliber smoothbore "buck 'n ball" I thought it might be fun to try doing that, as I've never shot buck 'n ball. I have a .69 cal Charleville repro that would be a great candidate firearm and I've got a supply of 0.648 cal balls and I've got a box of .410 shells each loaded with four 000BK buckshot balls that I could strip from the shells. I'm wondering if this is a good candidate ammo supply for my buck 'n ball newbie learning curve experiments:

IMG_0107.JPG

Or do you think those buckshot size balls are too large to use with the .69 cal ball?

Thanks ....

Last edited:
After watching a Hickock45 video on shooting .69 caliber smoothbore "buck 'n ball" I thought it might be fun to try doing that, as I've never shot buck 'n ball. I have a .69 cal Charleville repro that would be a great candidate firearm and I've got a supply of 0.648 cal balls and I've got a box of .410 shells each loaded with four 0000BK buckshot balls that I could strip from the shells. I'm wondering if this is a good candidate ammo supply for my buck 'n ball newbie learning curve experiments:

View attachment 336134

Or do you think those buckshot size balls are too large to use with the .69 cal ball?

Thanks ....
Should be fun! I too have a Charleville, and a replica '42 Springfield, but it's rifled; wish now I'd gotten the smoothie. It's all good!

After watching a Hickock45 video on shooting .69 caliber smoothbore "buck 'n ball" I thought it might be fun to try doing that, as I've never shot buck 'n ball. I have a .69 cal Charleville repro that would be a great candidate firearm and I've got a supply of 0.648 cal balls and I've got a box of .410 shells each loaded with four 000BK buckshot balls that I could strip from the shells. I'm wondering if this is a good candidate ammo supply for my buck 'n ball newbie learning curve experiments:

View attachment 336134

Thanks ....
You should load buckshot in "layers of 3 pellets". For a bore size of .69 (14 GA) you may need to go smaller than the 000BK. I know a 14GA can use layers of #1Buck, or thirty caliber round balls.
Of course you can just stack the larger balls on top of each other but the patterning will be strange.
Here is a link to CapandBall's research on your topic: 69 cal Buck-N-Ball cart.

Also, from proarmory dot com, here's a chart of modern sizes used in unmentionables:
#4.24 in (20.7 grain)
#3.25 in (23.4 grain)
#2.27 in (29.4 grain)
#1.30 in (40.5 grain)
#0.32 in (49 grain)
#00.33 (53.8 grain)
#000.36 (70 grain)

Here is a link to CapandBall's research on your topic: 69 cal Buck-N-Ball cart.

Also, from proarmory dot com, here's a chart of modern sizes used in unmentionables:
#4.24 in (20.7 grain)
#3.25 in (23.4 grain)
#2.27 in (29.4 grain)
#1.30 in (40.5 grain)
#0.32 in (49 grain)
#00.33 (53.8 grain)
#000.36 (70 grain)
Thanks for that. Very helpful. :thumb:

Just for an additional comment, I have a 54 Caliber smoothbore Blunderbuss, I don't remember the ball size, I used my .53 round ball and maybe # 4 shot and at 25 yards all four were scattered on target.

I think "Muzzle Loaders" has 1842 Muskets in stock. You might call them and ask.
A member on here turned one down, for some reason, real recent.

Dave
I wanted to know why too. But the employee just said " they were not in good shape" ?? Whatever that meant. If it is a kit how can that be? If I was a factory rifle, they WHY. Inquiring minds want to know.

I wanted to know why too. But the employee just said " they were not in good shape" ?? Whatever that meant. If it is a kit how can that be? If I was a factory rifle, they WHY. Inquiring minds want to know.
I ordered a 1842 smoothbore from them and asked the person taking the order to make sure the gun was in excellent shape. He called me back stating that he didn’t feel that the guns were in good shape. He didn’t tell me what was wrong with them but we agreed to cancel my order. I explained it all in my post.

I ordered a 1842 smoothbore from them and asked the person taking the order to make sure the gun was in excellent shape. He called me back stating that he didn’t feel that the guns were in good shape. He didn’t tell me what was wrong with them but we agreed to cancel my order. I explained it all in my post.
I know you did. But I still wanted to know what was wrong with them. I wasn't throwing any shade your way brother. But since we now know they are not in excellent shape, ya think we can Barter a tad with them? :D

I know you did. But I still wanted to know what was wrong with them. I wasn't throwing any shade your way brother. But since we now know they are not in excellent shape, ya think we can Barter a tad with them? :D
Good question. I wondered why he didn’t offer me the musket at a discount. I would definitely want to know before hand what was wrong with it. So after looking around for a 1842 smoothbore, I ordered a Kimber 20 gauge Fowler instead. I figure that my money will be better spent on a known American product!

Latest posts

Back