• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A fowler for round ball accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reading the posts and discussion regarding the Kibler fowlers -- with Jim's recommendation to choose the 20 gauge for PRB shooting vs. the 16 -- got me to wondering what the ideal roundball-shooting smoothbore would look like. We're talking a flint or percussion firearm designed for maximum accuracy without a rifled barrel, but still perfectly suited to the use of shot for bird-hunting. Not sure if this would be a true "smooth rifle" but a fowler with fowler architecture and balance, a barrel thick enough to safely and consistently take PRB pressure and probably a very small rear sight. Just curious if anyone has thoughts on the matter. I would think the proof of the pudding would be six-inch or smaller groups at 75 yards. Might be too high a bar.

Here’s a group shot with my Chambers .62 caliber smooth rifle at 25 yards, offhand. But, this was not with a patched round ball. The load was 65 grains of 3f, jute tow wadding, .60 round ball and jute tow wadding on top.

A six inch or smaller group at 75 yards might be possible with a patched round ball and a steady rest.

10BABFBE-A101-4411-99EE-469F27BF6BEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reading the posts and discussion regarding the Kibler fowlers -- with Jim's recommendation to choose the 20 gauge for PRB shooting vs. the 16 -- got me to wondering what the ideal roundball-shooting smoothbore would look like. We're talking a flint or percussion firearm designed for maximum accuracy without a rifled barrel, but still perfectly suited to the use of shot for bird-hunting. Not sure if this would be a true "smooth rifle" but a fowler with fowler architecture and balance, a barrel thick enough to safely and consistently take PRB pressure and probably a very small rear sight. Just curious if anyone has thoughts on the matter. I would think the proof of the pudding would be six-inch or smaller groups at 75 yards. Might be too high a bar.
I know Track used to have fowler kits or trade gun kits where they used the same barrel in 20, 24, and 28 bore.
If you had one of these in a 28 you would have very thick fowler style barrel

Hi Bill,
I know a couple of smooth bore shooters with 54 caliber guns that give rifles a run for their money at almost 100 yards. Here is a first target shot with a 20 gauge New England fowler I built. The shooting was offhand and the first shots wandered a lot because it took me a few shots to establish my sight picture for this gun but I also needed thicker patches. When I used 0.020" thick patches, grouping started and I eventually brought the shots into the black at 50 yards. Then I shot the gun offhand at 85 yards and still did pretty well.

q0tptyS.jpg

This second target is from a musket using a 46" 75 caliber Brown Bess barrel. Shot from a bench, I shot several rounds without patching just for grin and giggles. They are marked "A" Then I got serious and patched the ball and started grouping nicely.
K46X3Df.jpg

Here is a target from my favorite smoothbore, an English fowler. This was shot from a bench at first. The first shots established my sight picture and then I zeroed in pretty well at 40 yards. I then shot the the next 4 shots off hand, which should be labeled 10, 11, 12, and 13.
wd6qfGa.jpg

I've shot groups under 4" with it up to 85 yards but beyond that all bets are off.

dave

The .62 smoith rifle pictured below is my favorite smoothbore of the three I have. It had some real architecture problems when I got it so it went to a local builder for some fixes.

He ended up full length bedding the barrel and holy cow did that make a difference! Before and after it had a rear sight…I shoot much better with one on the gun. And, it doesn’t bother me at all when shooting birds. As always, YMMV.

It will literally stack balls at 50 yards when I do my part. I am going to full length bed the barrels on my other two when I get to it.

Attachments

• IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
.... :) Ken Netting barrels . You shouldn't use them though , the metallurgy is all wrong according to M De Land on here so they are death traps . Dont use any Wallace Gusler forged barrels either . Hand forged wrought iron is even weaker ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240811-141337.png
    Screenshot_20240811-141337.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1709943370333.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709943370333.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230324-162014~2.png
    Screenshot_20230324-162014~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240811-144432.png
    Screenshot_20240811-144432.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240811-144652.png
    Screenshot_20240811-144652.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240811-144451.png
    Screenshot_20240811-144451.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
well i just finished a Kibler 20ga. i have no experience with a smooth bore. my friend mule brain, on this forum gave me some .570 RB. i cast some .600 i used 65gr. of goex 2f off the bench at 50yds. with a tight parched .570 ball i got 5 shot hand sized groups. with the .600 for some reason the groups opened up to twice that. but man the .570 i was impressed. and they shot point of aim. i have the gun for sale in the for-sale section, but if i don't sell it i may become a smooth bore fan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

I have a Green River Forge 20ga. NW Trade Gun that I shoot with patched RB's (not shot unless a postal match requires it) and can get excellent results from it @ 25 yd. 50 yd.? Maybe, but that requires a lot more powder and fiddling. I don't think it will hold 6" beyond 50 yd. though. I've attached 2 photos of the patched RB results (semi rested) @ 25 yd. with 65 -- 75gr. FFg. The one with all the different colors used 3 slightly different RB diameters, but the same powder charge and patch thickness.

Attachments

• img454.jpg
    img454.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6269.jpeg
    IMG_6269.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 0
Back