• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little incentive

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Skychief Is a generous young man. He's thinking ahead to this fall's whitetail season, and want's to make sure we are in the proper mood for it. As a little stimulus he sent a couple of pictures of a buck from an earlier hunt. Works for me. I'm suspicious, though, thinking about his buck from last year, that somebody in Indiana is monkeying with the genes in their deer herd.

Spence

Where I live I see a number of deer that have been steroided because the county has a four point rule it has to have four points on one side to be legal. The MDC put it in place for hopes it will get bigger deer or that's what I've been told. :idunno: I think Skychiefs deer is natural because it has a thick neck and a large body. Some of the deer around here have 10 or 12 points and have the body of a dog. :rotf:

Peppy 96 said:
Some of the deer around here have 10 or 12 points and have the body of a dog. :rotf:

Sounds like you're in an area with good antler genetics and young bucks. The lease I am currently on has a lot of 2 1/2 year old 10 pointers and last year I had a 12 point on the property that I swear was no more than 2 1/2. Lots of points, but thin racks and smaller bodies (would probably dress 150 or something). Let those deer walk and pretty soon you have bucks like what Skychief was able to take!

I have a couple of "primers" running around this year:

20793950931_adeb41fbc0_k.jpg

20793447701_0ae7a81484_k.jpg

20163306544_644dafd32d_k.jpg

20597928648_e0ddc62c04_k.jpg

20597929098_54a67637f6_k.jpg

Thank you Spence for posting these pictures.

If someone is fooling with the genetics around here, it's news to me. :haha:

I was lucky enough to have taken this buck in December of 2006, I believe. I can see the hunt unfold as though it were yesterday.

He was another buck that gave me the slip time and again during the archery season. He used a tiny weed patch on a creek in the wide open to bed and approaching this area without his knowing was almost impossible. One would think a covey of quail couldn't hide in such a small area!

Some late season flooding of the area pushed him into a long, very narrow wooded bluff of sorts, surrounded by an ocean of crop fields. That's where I was sitting as he approached my hide one afternoon (I was sitting on the ground at the top of the "bluff").

He was halfway up the hillside walking along its length. Seems to me mature bucks love vaudeville for traveling. I had a good opening when he was about 40-50 yards away and slightly quartered toward me.

The T/C Hawken Classic BOOMED and the 50 caliber ball hit him in the "crease" hitting both lungs and the top of his heart. He ran down and out of the timber where he met a cut cornfield and piled up a hundred yards below me. A sight I won't forget.

Thanks again Spence. I know stumbling across these old pictures "incentive-ized" me! :thumbsup:

Be it a big whitetail buck, a bull or cow elk, a bunny rabbit, grouse, or what have you, I hope you all have a great year hunting. Every animal we take is a trophy as well as a gift, that I am sure of.

Best regards, Skychief

"Vaudeville" above, should have read "sidehills". :haha:

I hate this auto spell-check on this thing! :surrender:

Anybody know how to shut the feature off of a Kindle? :idunno:

Best regards, Skychief

Patocazador said:
Skychief said:
"Vaudeville" above, should have read "sidehills". :haha:

I hate this auto spell-check on this thing! :surrender:

How in the world can anything turn 'sidehill' into 'vaudeville'? :hmm:
To err is Human.
To really screw things up requires a computer.. :hmm: