• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A New Craftsman In the Making

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nc_cooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right forum for this post, so feel free to move/delete as you see fit.
I wanted to share with all of you my newest student and what he has accomplished this summer. My hope is that others will be inspired to try something new.

In February of this year I got a call from a friend. His son wanted to buy a knife with his Christmas money. My friends whole family are hunters and his son, the youngest, had killed his first deer last year.
I had 5 knives in stock and Gage had a hard time choosing. He finally made his choice and the deal was done. (he got a real good discount)
He was really fired up about forging knives. I gave a short demo and forged a small blade while they were there. Gage was hooked.
Fast forward to June, I had a new student. Two to three days a week depending on everyone's schedule. I had warned him that first he had to learn forging basics. Then and only then, could he attempt a knife.
Many hot, six hour days were spent in the forge learning drawing, tapering, making round stock into square stock and square into round. Gage never complained once.
When he completed all of his basic tests, Gage started on his knife. He chose the size and style of blade he wanted. The stock was 1/4" thick 1084.
I was his guide, but he did all of the hands on work.

The as forged blade.
Gage-1.jpg

Gage-2.jpg

He used files, hand sanding and my Coote grinder to finish the blade. He clay coated the blade, but I did the actual heat treat. Gage chose curly maple for the handle and did all of the shaping and finish work.
Gage-3.jpg

Gage designed and made the sheath. I provided guidance, but he did the work.
Gage-4.jpg

Here is the new knife maker. He stands 6'-4, weighs in at 265lbs and will be 13 in October.
Gage-5.jpg

Gage has a second blade forged, but football practice and school will limit his shop time to weekends. He and his dad have started collecting tools and equipment for their forge/shop.

All comments are welcomed by the teacher and the student.
Mike

Thats a very nice first knife..What the heck do they feed that guy to get him so big?

'attaboy'! OldKnfmkr,,
Thank you for sharing your skills with a fine looking and talented young apprentice.

Tell Gage he ain't alone, there are a bunch of young guy's learning the trade near here and on the local vous' circuit.
I never learned much of metallurgy, studied the carpentry skills as a youth. But I know enough too drool over and barter my labor's for forge work even today or cough up good money,,

While his buddies are honing their skills at PS3 and Dream Cast, he's learning a timeless, skilled and necessary trade that will be with him for a lifetime :thumbsup:
It can be a hobby, a passion or a living,,,

Great knife and what a great way to get it. My hats off to bot of yall for a job well done.

Grats to you and your student! :hatsoff:
sounds like he is hooked, who is the proudest, the student or the teacher? :v

A great story and a great contribution you made to such an undertaking
:hatsoff:

Good on ya Mike :hatsoff:

And he done a excellent job with your tutaledge :thumbsup:

Congrats to the both of you :hatsoff: :thumbsup: That's what this Country needs more of ......a young man willing to work for what he wants. :hatsoff: Congrats on the first deer to Gage :hatsoff: Thanks for showing him how it's done Mr. Knfmkr. :hatsoff: :bow: :thumbsup:

Boy, he's a biggun :wink: . It does my heart good to see that some youngins are still learning something sensible (and not too shabby at that). As a bladesmith myself, I know the work involved in keeping it straight, not too thin, not too thick. And all at 12 yrs old. Keep after him, might be the next Bill Moran :thumbsup: ...Nifeman

Bravo :applause: and beautiful knife! :thumbsup: I bet a football doesn't look much bigger than that knife in his hands!

The knife is a credit to both you and Gage. he did a great job on the forging and the finishing. To top it all off it also looks like he might have a future in leatherwork, very nice stitch line on that sheath and it fits the style of the knife perfectly.You both did a great job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very nice. I got to handle this knife the other day and Gage did an oustanding job. :thumbsup:
Keep after him Mike. He may be able to teach us old dogs some new tricks someday. :hatsoff:

Good for both of you! The young man learns to make what he wants and YOU taking the time to teach him properly. That goes a long ways nowadays!! Kids love the hands-on learning.

Warms my heart that a young man is interested in forging. It is fast becoming a lost art and to have a youngblood showing an interest is awesome!! :thumbsup:

Gage, keep up the great work and to Mike for taking the time to teach. :bow:

I too am woring on getting my forge up and running...after I take down the evil HOA :blah:

Thank you all for your words of encouragement to Gage. At the beginning of the summer, I had a tough time knowing if I was getting through with the training. He was quite and almost too shy to ask a question or tell me that he didn't understand something. Finally it was just two guys hanging out and working together. His family noticed the changes in him. More outgoing,more at ease in groups and pride in his work.
When he had finished his knife he looked at me and said " I understand what you meant by creating something. I just created a knife that will be around even after I am gone."
You can't ask for more than that.
Mike
PS: I'll let him read all of this went he comes for his next lesson.

Thats realy great you were kind enough to let him enter your life and work with him , your kindness will probably influence him and help him as he grows. You did a good job teaching from the way it looks and he did a fine job making his first knife and sheath tell him to keep up the good work

Back