• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A recent vivid lucent daydream...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently had a vivid, lucent, daydream and thought I’d recount it here in the forum.

I dreamed I was attending a longrifle gun fair. There were lots of attendees in the hall streaming along perusing the various vendor tables. I was standing near a table listening to a conversation between a young man clutching a KY/PA-style longrifle across his chest in the classic fashion, and an old man behind a table displaying exquisitely crafted traditional muzzleloaders.

Transcript of the conversation:

Innocent (crestfallen and insulted): "I know it was a kit, but it was something I always wanted to do and a personal challenge. I.. I... got fulfillment out of finally shooting it. (eyes look down)"

Sycophant (talking loudly and looking around from behind his table for approbation): "Yeah, but you should be ashamed because you didn't 'build' anything, you just snapped together pre-made parts. You just wasted your time."

Pharisee (standing near and over-hearing Sycophant's tirade): "True, what he did required no skill, but I happen to know you, Sycophant, get others to bore your ramrod holes and cut your barrel channels, so you are a super hypocrite and not as skilled and superior as you want everyone to think. You're no better than he is, and he IS bad, for sure."

Sadducee (also standing near and over-hearing the conversation and butting in): "You all are hypocritical toadies. I am superior to all of you. I chop down my own trees and hack out my own blanks with stone axes. I mine my own ore and produce my own steel in my back yard furnace, hammer forge out my own barrel blanks, and rifle my own barrels on spiral rifling machines I carved out of logs with a pocket knife. I chisel out my barrel channels with my own teeth (smiles to show his prominent buck teeth), and slowly create my ramrod holes by scooping out with my little fingernail one sliver at a time."

I then saw an old bearded gentleman appear out of nowhere and pull the crestfallen Innocent away from the still-arguing group of pompous twits. I overheard him say: "Don't you fret, son. You've done well. I know for a fact none of those half-blind weasels have fired a gun in years and they can't hit the broad side of a barn when they do. Don't get caught up in their drivel. Take your nicely finished muzzleloading black powder rifle, learn to cut center, and put fare on the table with it. You'll be carrying on a uniquely American tradition that hopefully will never be forgotten."

With that, the old bearded gentleman turned and walked out of the hall with a kingly grace. As he passed through the glass doors, I swear his clothing seemed to transform into fringed buckskins, and a tricorn hat sort of just appeared on his head. A longrifle appeared and he clutched it across his chest in the classic fashion. He just sort of vanished like a mirage as he walked into the parking lot. I went after him and yelled “Old Timer! Wait…!”…

<SNAP> I awoke with a start. My wife heard me yell and said “Who in blue blazes are you yelling at!?!?”

I said “Never mind, I think I’ll get my horn and possibles and take my flintlock to the range this evening.”

“You do that.” she said with a wink.

I recently had a vivid, lucent, daydream and thought I’d recount it here in the forum.

I dreamed I was attending a longrifle gun fair. There were lots of attendees in the hall streaming along perusing the various vendor tables. I was standing near a table listening to a conversation between a young man clutching a KY/PA-style longrifle across his chest in the classic fashion, and an old man behind a table displaying exquisitely crafted traditional muzzleloaders.

Transcript of the conversation:

Innocent (crestfallen and insulted): "I know it was a kit, but it was something I always wanted to do and a personal challenge. I.. I... got fulfillment out of finally shooting it. (eyes look down)"

Sycophant (talking loudly and looking around from behind his table for approbation): "Yeah, but you should be ashamed because you didn't 'build' anything, you just snapped together pre-made parts. You just wasted your time."

Pharisee (standing near and over-hearing Sycophant's tirade): "True, what he did required no skill, but I happen to know you, Sycophant, get others to bore your ramrod holes and cut your barrel channels, so you are a super hypocrite and not as skilled and superior as you want everyone to think. You're no better than he is, and he IS bad, for sure."

Sadducee (also standing near and over-hearing the conversation and butting in): "You all are hypocritical toadies. I am superior to all of you. I chop down my own trees and hack out my own blanks with stone axes. I mine my own ore and produce my own steel in my back yard furnace, hammer forge out my own barrel blanks, and rifle my own barrels on spiral rifling machines I carved out of logs with a pocket knife. I chisel out my barrel channels with my own teeth (smiles to show his prominent buck teeth), and slowly create my ramrod holes by scooping out with my little fingernail one sliver at a time."

I then saw an old bearded gentleman appear out of nowhere and pull the crestfallen Innocent away from the still-arguing group of pompous twits. I overheard him say: "Don't you fret, son. You've done well. I know for a fact none of those half-blind weasels have fired a gun in years and they can't hit the broad side of a barn when they do. Don't get caught up in their drivel. Take your nicely finished muzzleloading black powder rifle, learn to cut center, and put fare on the table with it. You'll be carrying on a uniquely American tradition that hopefully will never be forgotten."

With that, the old bearded gentleman turned and walked out of the hall with a kingly grace. As he passed through the glass doors, I swear his clothing seemed to transform into fringed buckskins, and a tricorn hat sort of just appeared on his head. A longrifle appeared and he clutched it across his chest in the classic fashion. He just sort of vanished like a mirage as he walked into the parking lot. I went after him and yelled “Old Timer! Wait…!”…

<SNAP> I awoke with a start. My wife heard me yell and said “Who in blue blazes are you yelling at!?!?”

I said “Never mind, I think I’ll get my horn and possibles and take my flintlock to the range this evening.”

“You do that.” she said with a wink.
😍

I get the sarcasm and humour. We have all been their at one time. The comment about the ramrod and barrel in-letting for professional gun builders is a time saver. Everyone knows that in business. Time is money and less time is more profit. Even the great builders realize this.
Theirs nothing wrong with kits. Kiblers are by far the easiest to make, build or snap together. But I give great credit to anyone that challenges themselves to build from a plank, lock and barrel.
Good, bad or otherwise. JMHO to each their own and nobody has to prove anything to anyone. As long as your satisfied. That's all that counts..

Yeah, and we all, or at least many, of us know what that tastes like. 😀

buffler.jpg

"What the he__ is that stuff?"
"Kinnikinnick."
"Tastes like buffler sh__!"
"It is."

Last edited:
I've built several rifles from planks and several Kibler kits. After 100 hours, my plank builds were close to where a Kibler starts. Since both builds used production locks, barrels, butt plates, etc., my plank builds were really just carving a stock. If you want a rifle with the correct architecture for hunting or shooting, just cut to the chase and get a kit.

I have caught a lot of flak from the guys here who think their mission in life is to run down others to make themselves look superior. They are all on my ignore list so I don't have to listen to their drivel.

Loved the story!
Me too. Eric. Those few tend to ruin a good thread. If they are ignored, I don't get drawn into their hateful boasting comments.

Back