• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alaska Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horace

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In 2010 I will be 66 years old and retired as of 5:30, Friday, April 30, 2010.
I would like to plan a 6 week trip to Alaska doing a little fishing, sightseeing and hunting moose, with my flintlock--probably a .54 cal. I do not care to trophy hunt. I just want to take a moose, process the meat and ship it back home to feast on for a few years. I don't know where to start with a guide who would not think that I am an idiot for using a flintlock.

Can anyone help?

Mule Skinner said:
In 2010 I will be 66 years old and retired as of 5:30, Friday, April 30, 2010.
I would like to plan a 6 week trip to Alaska doing a little fishing, sightseeing and hunting moose, with my flintlock--probably a .54 cal. I do not care to trophy hunt. I just want to take a moose, process the meat and ship it back home to feast on for a few years. I don't know where to start with a guide who would not think that I am an idiot for using a flintlock.
Can anyone help?
Sounds like a great trip...12/2011 for me.

I'd probably feel more comfortable with a .58 or .62, but with the right placement at the right distance a .54 should work too.

We're fortunate to have a few members from Alaska so it'll be interesting to see if they can help

Best plan on keeping your wallet shut until you go! For sightseeing, I heartily recommend Camp Denali...

I'm not aware of any guides that specialize in muzzleloader hunts, though I think most would occomodate you on moose hunts. There's also the option of DIY drop-oof hunts, though those are harder for first timers to pull together successfully.

Real BP for a flinter is available in Anchorage at Great Northern Guns. You won't be able to fly your own up, so write that down. You may want to contact them beforehand to reserve a can, because they do run out. If you are not departing from Anchorage for your hunt, but instead must fly beyond the hub on another commercial carrier it gets really complicated to get real BP. Your guide might be able to help arrange it, but I'd make that a requirement in selecting your guide.

I don't know if the drawings are open to non-residents, but there are several primitive weapon only moose hunts in really choices locations around Anchorage and Fairbanks, if I recall correctly. If you have passed a muzzleloader certification course in another state, there's a good chance that it will be recognized and will qualify you to toss your hat into the drawing----- again, if it's open to nonrez hunters. I bring all this up because if you were eligible and if you were drawn, it would greatly ease your access to quality hunting.

Check the classified ads in hunting mags to collect some guide names, then ask them for referrals as well as access to black powder.

2008 is none too late to be doing your research and making your plans.

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your retirement!! Folks ask me what I do with all my time now that I'm retired. The answer is easy: "If you have to ask the question, you'll never understand the answer."

Mr. Mule Skinner,
You can visit http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov for the most up-to-date regulations and information on fishing and hunting.
They do tend to change a bit from year to year so you need to keep abreast of the situation.
Enjoy your retirement!
Best Wishes

BrownBear said:
... If you have passed a muzzleloader certification course in another state, there's a good chance that it will be recognized and will qualify...
ml certification course? please explain whjat is that and if it is required to hunt with ml in alaska? thnks.

Mr. Laufer,
It is only required to participate in the "special" muzzleloader hunts. It is not required for the use of a muzzleloader during the regular hunting season. If you so desire, please see page 19 of the Alaskan Hunting Regulations at the above mentioned website, for more information.
Best Wishes

While you can use a muzzleloader during the regular season, there are special seasons for primitive weapons only including both archery and muzzleloaders. Many are in areas close to populated areas where game populations are too large but safety dictates restricted range arms. Many are drawing hunts in order to limit the number of hunters, but I don't know whether drawings are open to nonrez hunters or not. I suspect they are, but that's a guess.

For the primitive weapon hunts you have to go through a muzzleloader or archery certification course. I haven't taken the archery course, but the muzzleloader course takes an evening and a morning of classroom followed by a written test, then several hours on the range (with ADF&G guns and components only) followed by a shooting test. The aim is to make sure folks know what they're doing before they go out hunting.

The class is pretty basic for anyone experienced with muzzleloaders and hunting, but it's still kind of a fun review. The 10 or 12 hours you tie up is well worth it in exchange for the certification and the opportunity to hunt the special seasons.

Many other states have similar qualification programs, and there's some kind of interagency agreement between them so that an AK certification is recognized as qualification for special hunts in other states and visa versa.

Here is a link to the short blurb on Alaska's program. If your state has anything similar, I bet you can find it on their web site.

If you wander around that site you'll find other useful info, too.

Almost all states and Canadian Provinces offer a basic Hunter Safety course, and that certificate is recognized in all other states and provinces. The is archery and ML certification course is a new twist, which Alaska, and maybe some other states have begun. I do not know that it is available in all states. Its not yet offered in Illinois. I have been a H-S instructor since 1982, and began my teaching primarily teaching ML safety training.

If you intend to hunt Alaska, in one of these special seasons, check first with That state's Dept of Fish and Game about the regulations. See if they apply to you for the location and dates of your planned hunt. They will also know the states where you can take a similar course and have that state's certification recognized. If that does not include your home state, then plan to spend a couple of days in Alaska before the hunt getting that certification. Again, check with that department to see when and where such classes are offered, what the fee is, if any etc. Archers have been pushing for their own Hunter Education and Safety training course for years, with total emphasis on Archery, including range time. I believe that Alaska is the first state to adopt a special ML safety certification requirment. If you have a Hunter- Safety Training Course Certificate, Alaska will honor it. I don't know if it meets the requirements for these special season, tho'. It sounds like it doesn't. :thumbsup:

no such thing in colorado, just the 'regular' class. not sure about the archery additional class, as it was mentioned several times in the past, but nothing for ml.

Because Alaska is such a draw for out of state hunters, there has been pressure from residents to require out of staters to prove they know how to shoot bows, and MLers before taking advantage of these special seasons. I don't blame Alaskans. However, I am sure the Outfitters and guides are not happy with these limitations on their income.

I believe that responsible hunters will get the training and practice a lot with the equipment they intend to use on any big game hunt, particularly when you think of the time and expense involved in just getting to Alaska. If Alaska is having any trouble with " slob hunters", I suspect they are home grown, just like those in the rest of the States.

paulvallandigham said:
Because Alaska is such a draw for out of state hunters, there has been pressure from residents to require out of staters to prove they know how to shoot bows, and MLers before taking advantage of these special seasons. I don't blame Alaskans. However, I am sure the Outfitters and guides are not happy with these limitations on their income.

I believe that responsible hunters will get the training and practice a lot with the equipment they intend to use on any big game hunt, particularly when you think of the time and expense involved in just getting to Alaska. If Alaska is having any trouble with " slob hunters", I suspect they are home grown, just like those in the rest of the States.

Wow!!! wish I knew less about my own state, then I could post speculative posts like this.

Wheweee! Something stinks.

I weas not criticizing you, or Alaska, or its residents. I get regular information sent to me by our Dept. of Natural Resources on such courses, and I was simply allowing for the minute possibility that something might have slipped past me, or had not been sent to me. I am well know here for teaching Hunter Safety, and am often asked by other instructors to teach the MLing material for their courses. I will make some calls tomorrow and find out what the status of adding new programs and courses is. Our current governor is trying to close down our Dept. of Natural Resources, and has already announced that he is closing ALL State Parks in Illinois outside the Chicago 6 county metropolitan area as of Nov. 1. So, I am not expecting to be surprised by finding out that he is authorizing funds to put on MLer certification programs, or Archery Certification programs so that Illinois residents can qualify to hunt in Alaska's Special seasons. :rotf: :blah: :nono: :bull: :thumbsup:

But, I will make the calls. I also have a current chart on all the States and provinces concerning the safety training programs they offer, and rquire. The chart is the most current available but it has not been updated this year. Again, we have a hostile governor who has been bleeding the dept. dry, and using its funds for everything else. But, I will call on it. Maybe they updated the chart this year, and someone has one they can copy and send to me. :thumbsup:

no such thing in colorado, just the 'regular' class. not sure about the archery additional class, as it was mentioned several times in the past, but nothing for ml.

No special bow ed, but there is a Bowhunters Education class offered by the Colorado Bowhunters association.

When I took the hunter ed class six years ago with my grandson the coverage for ml was pretty thin and the archery coverage was almost non existent. No matter what might be in the course material or outline, it takes a knowledeable instructor along with some props and visulas to bring it to life.

Ray Scherbath gave the class we took and he is reputed to be (and proved to be in the class we took) one of the best instructors for young kids. I think he was awarded the instructor of the year award this year or last year.

Just for frame of reference, both the muzzleloader and archery certifications are affixed to your hunter safety card, more or less like a motorcycle endorsement on drivers licenses in some states.

I haven't confirmed it with the staff up here, but I'm betting that an nonrez hunter would have to show something akin to that here in Alaska to participate in special hunts.

Idle speculation for sure, but trying to put myself in the shoes of someone wearing a shoulder patch and trying to decide whether you qualify or not.

It's definitely an issue to be clarified beforehand with both your state and Alaska.

Back