• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I the only one hording.....?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthunter52

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The Mayan's were wrong with their calendar, but 6 months ago I stated hording supplies, ( not because I was concerned , you see), but because I see a definite shortage of components in the near future. I have been lucky enough to be the only traditional shooter in the area so I have garnered 5-6 lbs. of pyro and goex. Every one now shoots those pellets and stick loads.

Caps have been in short supply locally, 209's are the thing, and the hazmat charges cost more than the caps themselves, so been buying them wherever and whenever found. Have picked up 3 5-gal pails of wheel weights for casting,( I like the harder bullet in my .50 for large game, but that's another thread).

What are you all doing? Am I the only one that is foraging and scrounging, or is it commonplace?

it must be pretty common, on all my forums I keep seeing rants about empty shelves everywhere and the lack of whatever flavor of the day... I havent started casting RB,(I DO cast several rifle rounds but mostly 12ga slugs) But I have amassed quite a few lbs of various blackpowder, and a few thousand hornady balls in 32,36,&50.on top of whatever shotgun reloading supplies and at least a few k loads for all my rifles and pistols, but thats been a standard supply cashe for quite a few years now. I'd love to have more, but alas im a poor working stiff, and just dont have the bank account for it :wink:

Been doing the same for a long time.Been through too many shortages of either goods or money.Bought what I could when I could even if it was just a tin of caps or a box of .22s.It adds to the stockpile over time.Too many thin times money wise over the years I guess.And I've always found,not including groceries,you often times have what someone else needs that's not available at the moment and he's got something you need that you can always sell or trade if you got some extra.

I've got about a 1/2 ton of soft lead, molds for about everything I shoot, a few lbs of powder & about a dozen tins of caps laid by. but if ya believe some of the wind-spinners on the casting forums that wouldn't get them through a slow week-end. for what it's worth & have a good'en, bubba.

I try to maintain at least a couple of years' worth of shooting for my BP guns. It's more at the moment. For some years I've picked up supplies when the price/availablity was right. Also make sure I can mold any roundball needed. Never thought of it as hoarding, just being prepared.

Modern ammo/components are another matter... :thumbsup:

Jeff

PS: Happy Birthday to Cynthialee.

I'm low on musket caps but do have over 1000 rifle caps. I try not to let my powder supply get too low; been there, done that. There's a modest supply of soft lead and WW in my basement and I'm always on the lookout for more. Got a few dozen flints and that's about it.

Have everything I need. Down here the centerfire boys are going crazy. They travel to all the places selling ammo every morning trying to buy anything before work and after. Have to laugh they are tying up more money in gas than ammo.

I take the COSTCO approach and buy in bulk whenever that gets me a significant discount. Generally buy a two year supply of components. Lately I've been trying to buy before the predictable craziness of the elections so I guess I end up with more than my usual amount at times. Don't really consider it hoarding, just trying to buy while things are available and prices aren't stupidly high.

I also try to keep a good supply of smoke pole supplies ahead. I found some 10 and 11 caps for 3.00$ a tin a few days ago. Don;t shoot many caps BUT the truck was sittin pretty low heading home. :grin: Larry

I started "stocking up" on lead thirty years ago, And buying powder by the case ten years ago( my boys both shot trap as well as my son-in-law so we use a lot of powder) Caps; I buy out wally world every year after muzzleloading season and they put them on clearance.Flints are my main concern since I am knapping impaired and Rich Pierce isn't currently knapping. :idunno:

Cynthialee said:
we never called that hoarding when I was growing up
It was called being smart and prepared.

Amen sister!
I was taught a two year supply 40-some years ago and it seems all the better idea to me now. I also think that components are key. 100 lbs of lead - Check... 2 Lee molds per caliber - check. case of caps - check. Pwoder - CHECK! (etc, etc, etc...)

I have enough powder for several years of shooting. My lead/ball supply is not what I would call a 'hoard' but a moderate supply. Very low on caps but I don't use many. Have flints but should stock up with more.
Lead is a bit of an issue, I plan to start some serious scrounging soon.

I've always collected soft lead,which seems very hard to get gratis anymore. BP availability has never been an issue in my area. If push came to shove, i guess i would have to blend my own.

I buy/save/collect powder, balls, and caps for all my Black Powder weapons. When I see a deal for the sizes of balls, and caps I use I buy all I can afford. I have a hoarder mentality on BP stuff. More is better. Bargains are better yet. I have never sold a BP gun that I have purchased.

The way I look at it, my Ira has been losing money, my ammo, lead, powder etc has been gaining value so it's the best investment to be made right now.

Naw, that's not hoarding, that's just keeping a few necessities on hand. I have a little over a thousand caps on hand as well as something over 35 pounds of black powder and a couple of hundred pounds of lead ingots. I also keep a couple dozen flints on hand. Too much? I don't think so.

Im just a dumb redneck but I seen these times coming yrs ago an started stocking up. Im good on just about everything. even got it spread out so all my eggs aint in the same basket. :thumbsup:

Ya have me beat, I only have 30lbs of lead though I'm always on the lookout for more, Plus 8lbs of powder, though I may remedy that next month when I plan on getting a 10lb order from Powder Inc. I do have 900 .490's and 300 .395's on hand.

Back