• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care for carving on a rifle stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carvings on guns, are like custom paint jobs on cars and motorcycles... For some that appreciate the work/skill involved, that trips their trigger!

I am a hobbyist woodworker, and love seeing a nice slab or chunk, and envisioning what lurks within.

I appreciate all kinds of skills but wood speaks to me.

I hope to get some of my money back by selling the carved stock to someone who has a regular woods runner and wants to upgrade to the carving.

what do you suppose it should be worth?

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpeg
    IMG_0899.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_0892.jpeg
    IMG_0892.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    3.7 MB
I agree. A rifle with machine carving (let's assume it's a Kibler) is not unique or custom in the sense of "special" because others are just like it, while hand carving is one of a kind even if the pattern is basically the same. I guess paying for ANY carving is vanity, and if I want to be vain about my gun, I prefer total vanity knowing the carving is indeed special.
Good grief, that sounds like a VP's word salad. But maybe you see what I mean.
That is probably true, but it does work well on pump rifles if they cross check the forearm you can you get a better grip.

I put together a Woodsrunner kit a few months back. I ordered it with a carved cherry stock.
I have 7 muzzle loaders and it is the only one with carving on it.
I expected to be really thrilled with it but I just seem to like the plain stocks better.

Thanks to Bree at Kibler’s for finding me a Cherry stock with burl in it and it is on the way.

I
I like well done traditional relief carving, but not so much on extra fancy wood.
In my opinion the CNC incised carving on the Woodsrunner is alright, except for that which is on either side of the comb. The rest can be enhanced with some judicious relief carving.

"Carving" is done by hand. Fellow set up at gunshows with a table of his creations, a portable worktable, lamps, chisels, hammers, and a real leather work bib. For about $200, he could turn your $1,000 shotgun into a $400 parts gun. I've seen Kindergarten Halloween punkins look better.

That guy was just plain awful. Yet, he returned year after year at various shows. Back in the day, we visited the stockmakers at Bishop's a couple of times. Watching ladies perfectly do checkering, etc. by hand cured me of any thought of doing such things myself. Been 40? years ago, might not have been Bishops'. Anyway ...many tasks look easy, but aren't. I admire artists in all genres.

"Carving" is done by hand. Fellow set up at gunshows with a table of his creations, a portable worktable, lamps, chisels, hammers, and a real leather work bib. For about $200, he could turn your $1,000 shotgun into a $400 parts gun. I've seen Kindergarten Halloween punkins look better.

That guy was just plain awful. Yet, he returned year after year at various shows. Back in the day, we visited the stockmakers at Bishop's a couple of times. Watching ladies perfectly do checkering, etc. by hand cured me of any thought of doing such things myself. Been 40? years ago, might not have been Bishops'. Anyway ...many tasks look easy, but aren't. I admire artists in all genres.
I tried my hand at checkering...... I made a mess

Back