• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An explaination.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Don't get him riled froggy, he'll have ya fer breakfast", "there ya go!" :rotf:
Congratulations on holding back for so long Mike.

TN, the point of my post was that if it's just a matter of getting a gun that works, you paid ten times as much as needed, so why does it disturb you that others may pay even more. I have a cheap Spanish double that works just fine, but if I could afford a Holland & Holland I'd love to have one. :grin:

Mike Brooks said:
Ok Frank, at this point my hackle feathers are starting to rise. :cursing: I've listened to you go on about this for several days and I've heard enough about how over priced my guns are. So far you've made it obvious that you're jealous as hell over the fact that some folks can buy quality made guns and you can't.
Wow, talk about REALLY putting words in my mouth. I NEVER said your guns were Over Priced, read it again Mike. What I said was that you can get a gun that'll shoot just as well for less money.
Second, I'm not the least bit jealous, let the guy blow $2700 buck if he's got it. I'd rather have my two Jackie Brown build guns anyday. They work great and I didn't have to sell my first born to buy em' either. I've owned quite a few "high quality" guns in my day. Fact is they didn't shoot any better then some of the "lower quality" ones that I had so I sold em' off and kept the more affordable ones to hunt and plink with.
I'm going to say this ONE LAST TIME. I NEVER SAID YOUR GUNS WEREN'T WORTH THE PRICE. I NEVER SAID THEY WEREN'T QUALITY GUNS. WHAT I SAID WAS THAT YOU CAN GET SOMETHING THAT'LL WORK JUST AS GOOD FOR LESS MONEY, END OF STORY.

TN Frank, next time there is a thread about a gun that you feel is too expensive, why not just avoid it instead of posting in it?

I know, start a thread, "who has the cheapest working muzzleloader?". Then people can dog you for spending $700 - $1000 for a Jackie Brown when you could have spend $59 for a CVA Bobcat from Walmart.

TN.Frank said:
I'm going to say this ONE LAST TIME. I NEVER SAID YOUR GUNS WEREN'T WORTH THE PRICE. I NEVER SAID THEY WEREN'T QUALITY GUNS. WHAT I SAID WAS THAT YOU CAN GET SOMETHING THAT'LL WORK JUST AS GOOD FOR LESS MONEY, END OF STORY.

You keep saying... "Just as good"

Sometimes, you get what you pay for, even as it relates to FUNCTION.

You can buy a cheap "functioning" machine, and in two weeks and it breaks, due to faulty materials and workmanship, you'll be buying another. There are different levels of "quality" that some of you may be overlooking.

But, the bottom line is... WHO CARES if you can't afford it or don't want to spend the money?

Why rain on someone's parade, just because you don't want something they have?

Why do people with no interest in something have to add their non-contributing two cents?

Too many times I've seen guys spend small foutunes on firearms that they never intend to shoot, they're simply "safe queens" and that's a dang shame, a quality firearm is something that's ment to be shot, not set in someone's safe.

You mean it's your opinion that something is meant to be shot? Right? That's like telling a coin collector that coins are meant to be "spent", not keep in mint condition and put in a safe. (meanwhile appreciating in VALUE)

TN Frank, the more I read your posts the more confused I become. Why would anyone waste money on a Jackie Brown, when as was just mentioned, a CVA Bobcat will do the same thing. You could have about 12 Bobcats for the price of one J. Brown. Now just why do you think you have to pay $640 more for a J. Brown than a Bobcat? For the bragging rights? If you had good guns in the past, why did you forsake them? If you can't afford top quality gun making, why do you drive a pickup instead of a Yugo? They will both get from point A to B. If you have expenses greater than your income, consider other money saving avenues. Like a less expensive wife, or a less expensive home and if that doesn't work, consider getting a better job or if you don't have that, get a job. Also consider building guns for $2700 so you don't have to carry your $700 one. If you really don't care for nice items and guns, don't post about it complaining about your lack of money.We all have bills and maybe evern greater expenses than you! I bet if you saw my medical bills, you would know my Dr.s can afford REAL guns!(and a plane to fly to hunts in) But, I don't wimper about it and begrudge them. Do you want us to pass the hat for you to get a real quality gun? or would you just run it through you gas guzzling pickup truck? How about sellin that J.Brown and getting a whole closet full of Bobcats? Or buy just one Bobcat and using the rest of the money on bills? Sheez, sometimes it feels like we need a kindergarden cop to make sense of nonsense! :youcrazy: Actually, though I rambled in my own post here, I am beginning to enjoy this. Where else can I read such entertainment on a Sunday afternoon? :rotf: Oh, Jackie Brown builds a nice gun, for the money! Jackie, if you read this I am not critizing your guns/work at all.

Why is ol' Frank even using a muzzle loading gun to begin with? As Coyote Joe so pointed out, muzzle loading guns are extremely inefficient, not the least bit cost-effective and obviously they ALL are an incredible waste of money. A $70 single shot shotgun will do all the hunting you ever "need" to do for little cost at all. For that matter, hunting itself is an extravagance. Who "needs" to hunt anymore?

Besides, this is a "hobby". As far as hobbies go, reenacting/muzzleloading is actually relatively cheap. You spend $1500-$2000 on a nice gun, several hundred to a thousand dollars or so on clothing and equipment, and that's pretty much it (except for the thousands of dollars worth of books...no telling how much money I have in books). CHEAP. It's NOTHING compared to something like cars. Start fooling with hot rods or muscle cars, and THEN you'll see how ridiculously expensive things can get. :winking:

Want to see something overpriced, take a look at Chris's hat.... :rotf:

I'm fixing to buy another one rather similar. This one will be a Beaver felt hat at $140. (The hat in the photo was right at a hundred bucks) Could I buy a cheap, $35 hat? Yes. Would it keep my head warm and dry? Yes. Would it look good and keep its shape over many, many years? Probably not. Yet another wonderful analogy! Thank's Slowpoke!

Chris "don't call me Stophel" Immel

(I'm sure glad my period specific TC Hawkens didn't come under fire...after all, they were made in a past century and they are what they are!)

:rotf:

Dave K said:
Why would anyone waste money on a Jackie Brown, when as was just mentioned, a CVA Bobcat will do the same thing. You could have about 12 Bobcats for the price of one J. Brown.

That's exactly the point. Unless you're buy the cheapest possible gun out there, you're a hypocrite to comment on how much someone else paid for theirs.

Bottom line, I love my Jackie Brown built guns and I'll put em' up against ANY smoothbore, any time and any where. I think they're that well built of a gun. Jackie Brown IS THE MAN. :thumbsup:

roundball said:
(I'm sure glad my period specific TC Hawkens didn't come under fire...after all, they were made in a past century and they are what they are!)

No guns have come under fire, but some peope think they cost too much for the "function" they perform.

So, I guess the point of all this is, you should buy the cheapest things you can find, provided that they "function" the same. Be forewarned, all you gunbuilders, knifemakers, seamstresses, weavers and craftspeople......you're days are numbered. You are being replaced by a machine.

Oh and forget that custom "flames" paint job on your Harley gas tank. A plain black one will hold the gas just as well.

Yes, I'm being absurd. As absurd as this topic - to make the point.

Dale,

You obviously missed the point. The point is that unless you buy from the one specific maker mentioned over and over again, you're completely retarded. Either you spent too little and got junk, or wasted your money, and down to earth people don't do that.

Der Fett Deutcher,
Yes, and some of my friends play golf! When they tell me what they pay on greens fees, I KNOW my hobby is cheap! And all they get for there effort at the end of the day is a crumpled, sweaty scorecard! Haaaawwww, Haaaawwww!

A sign I once saw: The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Hee! Hee!
volatpluvia

So, how bout them Astros? Come on guys, leta all go back to being friendly and just forget all this manure. I come here to have agood time with friends, share and learn from others, not to listen to arguing. I can get enough of that from the Granddaughter.

TN.Frank: 6 months ago you were on here talking about your First handbuild rifle you had just purchased that you bought on your wifes CC for ? $400. I think it was ? & about how You thought it was not built right & how your were going to rebuild it now but you wanted opinions ? & then a few days later you went on to tell us of how you siliconed the barrel into the stock & how you glued a piece of oak to a maple stock to make it longer, etc., etc., etc.. :yakyak:

And Now you are an expert rifles & are comparing hand built rifles ? Really.............Give us a break...... :shake:

You are not fooling anyone, never did, never will....... :shake: Just give it up.... And the more ya talk the deeper ya get......

Mike Brooks: Don't let him rile ya. We have all heard this manure a hundred times....... Just consider the source of the derogatory comments & forget it, it is really not worth the effort......... :shake:

This is the Good Ol USA. If a man wants one of your rifles, all he has to do is want it bad enough & he CAN own one.... It all boils down to how bad ya want it & if ya are willing to work to get it........

Frank,

In the future have the good taste to simply pat a fellow on the back and admire the workmanship of the gun without deving into pricing or making ill considered comments.

I wish that I could make guns that would equal either man's products. I owe both debts for showing me things and answering my questions.

Right now, Jackie and Mike are likely both embarassed and upset by words which should never have been spoken. As one who likes both of them, I am annoyed by this. The whole tone of this environment has deteriorated significantly and all needlessly.

Are you a troll or are you really that clumsy?

CS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back