• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Italian made Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrted

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I found another Hawken in .45 cal Perc.
At another shop. It looks like anybodies import, has the same breech tang 2 piece setup double set triggers but the only lettering on the barrel is Ranson Italia and a herd of proof marks. anyone heard of this version? What twist etc. It looks 200% better than my Charlie Brown Xmas tree version I bought last week, just checking for some particulars, the guy at the shop was uncertain at best.

They may have been one of many Italiano barrel or rifle makers/contractors now out of business??? SILE was an importer with their name on the barrels.

Steve

Well Mark, you could tell us again all about this "Ranson Italia". I'm sure we wouldn't delete it again. :)

My Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values doesn't mention it, nor could I find any information in my other books.

Over the years there has been many importers of muzzleloaders both from Italy and Spain. Many of them had the guns makers stamp their "logo" on the barrel.

Although it is never a good idea to paint something with a wide brush I'll just add that IMO the Italian muzzleloaders are usually equal to or better than the Spanish made guns.
One possible exception might be the guns made by Palmetto

Thanks for the replies. The gun itself doesn't distinguish itself with any peculiar features, it could be an exact investarms, TC like clone. We were going to try and check the twist by easing a patch down the bore but both of us weren't certain how this was actually done. He's going to call the consignee tonight to find out. The kinda downside to this bargain is the rear sight is missing the elevation screw and spring but I think that can be had, probably all metric. The bore is sharp and barely used.

To measure the twist use a cleaning jag with a tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod.
Lightly oil the patch and shove it to the bottom of the bore.
Wrap a piece of masking (or duct) tape around the cleaning rod flush with the muzzle and make a mark on it that aligns with the front sight.

Slowly pull the rod/jag/patch back up the bore allowing it to rotate freely.
When the mark has turned so it is pointed away from the front sight (180 degrees rotation), measure the distance from the face of the muzzle to the tape. Multiply this measurement by 2 and you will have the rate of twist for that barrel.

As the patch/jag sometimes can "jump" a groove while doing this it is a good idea to do this test two or three times and take the average of the measurements to get a fairly accurate answer. :)

If the rate of twist is very slow or the barrel is rather short you can try retracting the jag/patch/rod until the mark has turned 90 degrees from its starting place. If you use this method, multiply the measurement from the muzzle to the tape by 4 to obtain the rate of twist. :thumbsup:

Zonie, thanks, Mark I found that site on my own thanks, Claude I re-read the rules and I apologize for getting anyone that was trying to help me out in hot water.

Ranson was an importer, probably in the late 60s, early 70s. I had a Ranson Zouave which was a typical undistinguished Italian repro. I don't remember much about it as I bought it to resell. At the time (77,78) there were Ransons being shot in the N-SSA but I haven't seen one in 25+ years. I am, or was, unaware of anything bearing that name except skirmish guns.

cmdrted said:
Zonie, thanks, Mark I found that site on my own thanks, Claude I re-read the rules and I apologize for getting anyone that was trying to help me out in hot water.

Please, no apology necessary. You are not responsible for what others do. :v

cmdrted said:
Hi Guys, I found another Hawken in .45 cal Perc.
At another shop. It looks like anybodies import, has the same breech tang 2 piece setup double set triggers but the only lettering on the barrel is Ranson Italia and a herd of proof marks. anyone heard of this version? What twist etc. It looks 200% better than my Charlie Brown Xmas tree version I bought last week, just checking for some particulars, the guy at the shop was uncertain at best.

i have a .50 ranson there are a lot of them here in oz i have had mine for 28 yeare, they where bought out by investarms many years ago the locks and trigerrs are the sme as the lyman and cabelas ones.heres a pic of mine.
bernie :thumbsup:
101_0700.jpg

Latest posts

Back