• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another shipping war story….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I’ll be the odd man out. I’ve had the same rural delivery lady for several years and she’s wonderful. Always waves, calls my dog to her and pets him when he’s out and she has to stop, walks my packages up my drive and sets them on my porch,(she just delivered a stock blank yesterday when I wasn’t home), and has even taken care of “signature required” deliveries for me when I wasn’t home. Now granted I know her personally,(she was my daughter’s next door neighbor for several years), but it’s been great. And she always gets a nice Christmas gift card from us.
Don’t get me started on the Chicago Distribution Center though, all my deliveries get routed through there, and it’s a manure shoot with delivery times.

At my little PO I can watch the tracking and be there when the big truck delivers their mail at 0730. They will get my box then to avoid having to stop and come to the door at the house. Plus I don't have to wait all day.

Well I’ll be the odd man out. I’ve had the same rural delivery lady for several years and she’s wonderful. Always waves, calls my dog to her and pets him when he’s out and she has to stop, walks my packages up my drive and sets them on my porch,(she just delivered a stock blank yesterday when I wasn’t home), and has even taken care of “signature required” deliveries for me when I wasn’t home. Now granted I know her personally,(she was my daughter’s next door neighbor for several years), but it’s been great. And she always gets a nice Christmas gift card from us.
Don’t get me started on the Chicago Distribution Center though, all my deliveries get routed through there, and it’s a manure shoot with delivery times.
The problem is carriers like that are few and far between.

We have an awesome one, too; she even carries treats for the dogs, but she’s not always on shift and when she’s not we get the same manure service as everyone else.

In my area, all three services have gone downhill. FedEx no longer delivers to homes outside of town, UPS pulls the "business closed, can't deliver" excuse even though we were open at the time they said they tried to deliver, and you're lucky these days if USPS puts more than half of your mail in your box, as opposed to someone else's box or someone else's mail in your box. The sad part is our local post offices had a recent audit where they made all the box holders come in to show their driver's license to prove they were properly linked to the correct box, because they didn't want to deliver mail to someone not associated with the box or to fraudsters. However, nothing changed after all that effort with how much mail was still being put in the wrong boxes due to their own incompetence.

I shipped two modern firearms to a shop in western Montana from WA on the 5th via USPS ground advantage. One showed up in Denver yesterday and hasnt scanned out yet, the other landed in Denver today!!
Denver is way past where they were supposed to go.
Seems like everything goes thru Denver now. I mailed a USPS priority envelope to Big Timber, MT some time back and after making it to Billings, it also scooted on down for a little side trip to Denver, then back to Billings and finally to Big Timber. Took about 10 days of touring the west to get delivered.

About a month ago I ordered something online. Tracking showed it would be delivered a certain day. It wasn't. Then USPS tracking showed an issue. Package went from Louisville to Indy to Bloomington to Louisville to Indy to Bloomington then to my local PO. I finally received the package. 4 days later there was a copy of the pink missed delivery slip in my mailbox with "delivered to wrong box" wrote on it.

Another issue. Ordered from Buffalo Arms and was supposed to be here 6/29. USPS tracking shows ALERT. Whatever that means. The following Tuesday I called the PO and he said the package was too heavy to deliver and a really heavy piece of alloy fell out. It was 7 pounds. The entire package was 8 pounds. He said the delivery driver had trouble handling it and this block of metal fell out. I asked why nobody notified me. He said I should have got a pink slip in the mail. I did not. He said that's what the tracking is for. I had to go pick it up in town at the PO.

Consider online banking. My bank electronically transfers the money on the pay date or mails the check for me if transfers aren’t possible.
I pretty much do something like that — I make the payments electronically from my bank account, online. I don't want the bank to do it automatically because — I am a control freak.

The only bills I pay the old fashioned way are for local companies that do not bank electronically, like my local car repair shop, and bills I pay only one or two times each year.

I'm 80 yrs old and my son recently showed me how to do online banking. It's amazing how easy it is to pay a bill. If you have a smartphone you can take a picture of a check and deposit it electronically you don't have to go to the bank.
How are you gonna get free suckers for the kids, and biscuits for the dogs if you don't go to the bank? 🤣

To be clear on this. I have had excellent service from USPS over the years. The only issues I have ever had was due to contractor delivery drivers. On the day of the issue, I found out that he is a new substitute driver. My, how fast can one learn how to avoid doing their job.

One day I had a new $900.00 compound bow on the way. Tracking showed it was out for delivery. I watched the delivery driver drive past my house and then came back out of our very short, dead end road. So, I went looking for my package. There are two homes below me. One was a vacation home, the other was completely vacant. I found my package between the two doors of the vacant home.

Another contract delivery driver would often put other peoples mail in my box that lives on another rural road. When I politely told him about it, he became angry and stated some silly remark about how some people think they are so much better than others. He then handed me my mail. Sure enough, I had some mail from that same address on another road. I look at it and said " Hey, I'm sorry you are upset but you might want to give this to the proper people, handed him the envelops, then walked away". Not a peep from him.

For a while we had a nasty looking old fella that delivered our mail. He and his car were nasty dirty, to say the least. The people at the post office called him "crunch" due to how many complaints they received about him from irate people that had their mail all wadded and crunched up in their mail boxes.

Last edited:
I'm 80 yrs old and my son recently showed me how to do online banking. It's amazing how easy it is to pay a bill. If you have a smartphone you can take a picture of a check and deposit it electronically you don't have to go to the bank.
Soon all of us will be paying electronically. There will be no other way as soon as TPTB installs their CBDC. No more cash. This has already been signed and is ready to be installed.

To be clear on this. I have had excellent service from USPS over the years. The only issues I have ever had was due to contractor delivery drivers. One day I had a new compound bow on the way. Tracking showed it was out for delivery. I watched the delivery driver drive past my house and then came back out of our very short, dead end road. So, I went looking for my package. There are two homes below me. One was a vacation home, the other was completely vacant. I found my package between the two doors of the vacant home.

Another contract delivery driver would often put other peoples mail in my box that lives on another rural road. When I politely told him about it, he became angry and stated some silly remark about how some people think they are so much better than others. He then handed me my mail. Sure enough, I had some mail from that same address on another road. I look at it and said " Hey, I'm sorry you are upset but you might want to give this to the proper people, handed him the envelops, then walked away". Not a peep from him.

For a while we had a nasty looking old fella that delivered our mail. He and his car was nasty, to say the least. The people at the post office called him "crunch" due to how many complaints they received about him from irate people that had their mail all wadded and crunched up in their mail boxes.
Methinks a good number of people these days don't give a hoot about doing a job. Of course they want a paycheck, but don't want to earn said paycheck. I was always taught if you were going to do a job, do the best you can. Weird times. Remember when a job with the Postal Service was prestigious, always a "We're hiring" sign in front of my small local one. Not just the USPS either.

I tip my mailman in early November, apologize for the heavy and numerous packages and let him know I appreciate all he does.

All year long he delivers perfectly into my package box, even moves other deliveries off the porch and hides them in the package box.

Best $30 bucks I spend all year.

TIPS. To Insure Prompt Service

I tip my mailman in early November, apologize for the heavy and numerous packages and let him know I appreciate all he does.

All year long he delivers perfectly into my package box, even moves other deliveries off the porch and hides them in the package box.

We cannot seem to keep one specific mail carrier in this neck of the woods for more than a few months. Even then, a substitute carrier is all too common. I do not know the reason for this other than perhaps they bit the job too low.

We cannot seem to keep one specific mail carrier in this neck of the woods for more than a few months. I do not know the reason for this other than perhaps they bit the job too low.

Also, even then a substitute carrier is very common. I couldn’t care less as long as I receive my mail (packages) on time and in good condition.

We have the same situation with keeping carriers in our town. Seems to have new carriers every few months. It's not a big town, maybe 1100 households and a few housing projects for low income and elderly residents. I always thought working for the post office in our town was a fairly easy job. Only one or two walking carriers and all the others drive trucks.

I had a package scheduled for delivery I was home sitting in my chair watching the tube, I could see the front door the postman walked up the steps put a note on the door saying ''sorry I missed you''. I went outside and and asked him what the he!! He said sorry I didn't think you were home. But on the bright side stamps are going up again.
From 68 to 73 cents and they will still lose billions/year. Just last week a book was delivered and instead of placing on an elevated place next to the door it was placed on the ground while it was raining...doorbell cam shows him wearing rain poncho and boonie style hat. To be fair, he did not know package contained a book but the box was falling apart from being soaked and anyone could assume contents might get wet and ruined....which it did. We have 3 different delivery persons each week. Mail might come in early morning, around 14:30 or after 18:00...The fellow who delivers around 14:30 is then done. We are literally the last street on his route so he gets to spend the rest of his shift down at the local craft brewery while getting paid....not a bad gig plus getting 47 paid days off/year!

Waiting on a package from a fellow member now. It was shipped from Oklahoma last Friday and supposed to be here Monday!! Well that never happened and only two scans on tracking. Once received and once departed towards next facility!! Really worried as it’s my dream 36!!!

Waiting on a package from a fellow member now. It was shipped from Oklahoma last Friday and supposed to be here Monday!! Well that never happened and only two scans on tracking. Once received and once departed towards next facility!! Really worried as it’s my dream 36!!!
I get that alot. Good news is it most likely will get there. The longest so far for me was a month from Arizona to Tennessee. That was my .45 smoothie. The seller shipped very promptly but it hung up at a couple different post offices before it ever got here. Hard to get good help...

I get that alot. Good news is it most likely will get there. The longest so far for me was a month from Arizona to Tennessee. That was my .45 smoothie. The seller shipped very promptly but it hung up at a couple different post offices before it ever got here. Hard to get good help...
Also on that month long delay... The seller packed my gun very well. Lots of bubble wrap and cardboard. But the box was beat to pieces with gaping holes. The other guy did such a good job packing that I don't think he would have put it in a ripped up box. Somebody was a bit rough with that package. Fortunately thanks to the good packing there was no damage to the gun.

Back