• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
You guys crawling pawn shops just ain't tryin!
While looking at a musket the shop manager told me he had another muzzleloader in back. He didn't have it displayed because it has a charge and ball in it. I told him to bring it out and I would show him what to do to discharge it.
He came out with a .54 caliber TC Hawken with nice figure in the stock, no scratches but a very small amount of surfce rust near the breech. The nipple is plugged with something. I will clean it out and try shooting it out. If that doesn't work there are several other ways to get it out- I really not worried about that.

The price you ask? $100.00 out the door.
It's little brother, the $70.00 .50caliber TC Hawken in the safe will have to learn to share my attention.

You guys just ain't lookin hard enough. :grin:

Jim

You guys inspired me.

I called around all the local (within 30 mins) pawn shops.

I was really looking for a Lyman or TC flinter, but nobody had a flintlock.

I found quite a few muzzle loader percussion rifles, many cva's most with plastic stocks, some CVA's with wood stocks, a few traditions, a few odds and ends off brand hawkin knockoffs, a few TC New Englanders in 50 or 54 cal going for $120 to $150, and...
One TC Hawken in 54 caliber, in excellent shape for $120.

I figured at that price I was willing to have one percussion rifle. :)

I wouldnt try shooting i out,some idiot may have loaded it with smokless powder,it has happened.Try to pull the ball or use a CO2 discharger,better safe than sorry.Sounds like you got a good buy.

Jess, you have a good point. I will try my air compressor first then a ball puller.

Man, I just realized I need to buy some .54 roundballs and jags.

Jim

Pepperbelly,
You might be right, but you have a .54!! I just love that caliber. Great find. Good luck and have fun :thumbsup: .

Pepperbelly, you better get back there and get that smoothbore or you will probably regret it forever. Once you shoot a smoothbore you may just sell all them T/C Hawkens. :grin:

Rebel, you should know that you never sell a rifle.
I like my TC Hawkens, even if they aren't pc. I got them so cheaply that I could never replace them at twice the price.
If I do get the musket my safe will really be crowded. I may have to get creative in arms stacking.

Jim

Jim,
I can solve all your problems.....buy another safe. Like you, I don't sell or trade my firearms. They just multiply :rotf: . Like the old Lay's potatoe chip ad, You can never have just one! But Rebel is on to something. I have always been interested in a nice smooth bore. I think it is on the horizon. Something to think about for your next purchase :hmm: .

Well the "good shape" was relative.

There's a bullet loaded, and the cheap scope on it has the screws stuck.

I just ordered a CO2 system to get the bullet out (I had planned on getting one eventually anyway).

Whats the best way to get the screws loose, penitrating oil?

Yeah, a good penetrating oil, a LITTLE heat (hair dryer, not a torch), and rap the surrounding area with a chunk of wood. Repeat till done. Good luck.

I just remembered that it is loaded! I would hold off on everything but the oil 'til you get that charge out.

Back