• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

antelope & flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken an antelope with a flintlock rifle? If so, with a round ball or conical?

Idaho Ron here on the site has done it, and not just once. I'll let him speak for himself on guns and loads. He's pretty dialed in, and a fine hunter by all indications.

Thanks for the insight.

I hope he responds.

I'm trying for a muzzle loader antelope tag in my home state of Nebraska. Might take a couple of years to earn a tag but that will give me plenty of time to practice with my T/C 50 caliber flinter.

Plenty get taken by bow so why not? You only need one opportunity to make a shot, surely that isn't impossible? Imagine the satisfaction when you get one down. Go for it!

Yes with a full stock home made sorta looked like a hawkin. .54 with a 42/1 inch barrel and an l and r 'waterproof' lock. Shot at about 30 yards.Gun was well overcharged 120 grains 3 f .526 prb. Was in 1980 days walk north east of fort bridger, three days south of pindale wyoming.

I posted a pic of a pronghorn buck I took with my late Lancaster, .54, at about 70 yards. It was percussion then, but has since been converted to flint.

I actually use a Cap gun. But the ignition is not going to matter in my opinion. Antelope are not tough animals but, I have seen them hit wrong with a centerfire rifle and run for miles. I use a conical but they are certainly not needed. We used my most accurate rifle and load. I have set up on water holes and I had my son use a decoy over scrapes. Both work very well. Ron

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

Jacobshunt11.jpg

Idaho Ron said:
I actually use a Cap gun. But the ignition is not going to matter in my opinion. Antelope are not tough animals but, I have seen them hit wrong with a centerfire rifle and run for miles. I use a conical but they are certainly not needed. We used my most accurate rifle and load. I have set up on water holes and I had my son use a decoy over scrapes. Both work very well. Ron

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

Jacobshunt11.jpg

Those are both mighty fine antelope. I see you are shooting a T/C Renegade but the barrel isn't the original barrel unless i'm mistaken.

I have a T/C Hawken 54 caliber percussion that is getting re-bored to 58 caliber this summer. Want to hunt elk, bear for sure and maybe moose if i get lucky.

My newly acquired T/C Hawken 50 flintlock has top priority this hunting season.

Bought the gun used but it had been treated with love and care. Can't wait to shoot a deer this fall since I don't have enough points built up for earning an antelope tag.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

I need to take some pictures of my refinished flintlock stock and post them here. The wood is best I've ever seen.

Here is a 13.5" buck (scored 71.5 points Boone & Crockett) I took with my .54 Green River Leman I built. About 90 yards with 120 grains of Goex 2F and a patched round ball. With a flintlock, be careful you don't start a fire if you shoot laying down in the grass. Also with a flintlock, if it is very windy, the prime can be blown out of your pan when the hammer falls and before the pan ignites. But I would hunt antelope with a flintlock before I'd use a percussion rifle again, bragging rights, doncha' know. I probably will use a flintlock on my mule deer hunt this fall, unless I can't leave by Bridger Hawken at home.
antelope.jpg

Nice work fellas!
Hope to get to get a crack at one with the flinter or my bow in about 6 yrs, that's how long it takes up here in alberta to build enough priority to apply for a draw and hopefully get chosen

Back