• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Info on This Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwRuuska

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought this rifle in Western Massachusetts a few weeks ago. The barrel is 41", .44 cal, 15/16" across the flats. The lock is marked Huston (I think) Inniss. The lock bolt plate is engraved "1963". The patchbox lid has just a touch of engraving and "Rosa". Nice wood, some mistakes I can tolerate as I didn't make them, and most importantly a much longer sight radius than my other BP rifle (I can see these pretty well.). Any ideas on who made this?
Rosa.jpg
Lock.jpg
LockBoltPlate.jpg
Patchbox.jpg

It would be better if the drum were supported in some way. Unsupported drums can break off flush with the barrel.

Dan

What way would you tackle that: new lock, new lockplate and transfer innards, weld onto lockplate and build up under drum & refinish, other? Thanks

The chance of finding a replacement lock that will fit the existing mortice and also provide full support for the drum is slim and non-ner.

Actually, I can't tell from the photo if the drum is supported on the gun.
If the bottom of the drum rests on the metal of the lockplate then it is supported and there is no real problem.

If the drum is just supported by the stocks wood rather than resting on the lockplate you need to make sure that there is absolutely no gap between the drum and the wood.
While this sort of setup isn't very good, as long as the drum is fully supported by something it can be shot many times.

If the drum cannot be made to rest on something then I agree with Dan, a problem exists.

In a previous post I was cautioned about an unsupported drum on a rifle I bought a few weeks ago. Having neither the time or tools to fabricate a new lock for scratch I set about to support my drum. About an hour of fabrication time and a trip to Leominster Micro Welding (Laser welding) yielded a very well supported drum at a cost of $40.00. Total investment to this point: $140.00 (rifle + welding). I wasn't trying for any PC look, just trying to get a rifle that would be a relatively safe shooter.
Lock800x600_92.jpg
[/img]

Nicely done! :thumbsup:
Hope it gives you many years of trouble-free service.

Would someone plaese upgrade AlanInMass post rating too at least 40 cal.
Anyone that can so quickly take sage advise and come up with an innovative idea like this and implement it deserves a pat on the back.
Good job Alan,,hope it turns into a real shooter for ya :thumbsup:

Back