• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any particular goals for 2012 fall Hunting season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Other than the obvious of having a safe season, some specific things I'm going to try and get done are:

1) Take a deer using the non-toxic solid brass .562" x 200grn round ball I tested;

2) Take a deer with member 'oldnamvet's .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. conical he had a custom mold made for;

3) Christen a .45cal EVA with a deer;

4) Christen a .54cal EVA smoothbore on squirrels;

Kinda collecting my gear for a multi-night deer hunt with only my shooting gear, haversack and sleeping roll. The place I have in mind to spread my roll is about four miles in. Been there many times on day trips, but they were all too short to enjoy what it has to offer.

Got all these doodads in my haversack that I've played with from day to day, but never lived with. Of course I'm gonna pick good weather!

My goal is to get up to the hunting woods this fall and get a nice big buck with the Tennessee .54 (but a doe would do :wink: ).

I just hope to be able to spend more time in the woods than I have in the last few years.
A co-worker and I have been talking about doing a weekend canoe trek/deer hunt in period garb but getting from talking to doing might be a challenge.

This fall I'm anxious to get a deer (or several) with my new .50 EL. Maybe get another with my smoothbore. The little .32 is ready for more squirrels and I've yet to kill anything with my .40 LL which I've had now for several years. Most of all I'm hankering for a fall turkey with whatever I have at the time.

Hope to get out with my dad and uncle, this will be my first fowl hunt with black powder...really excited, and I hope to get out in the deer stand with my .54 cal flintlock to draw its first blood! Looking forward to a safe and great season!

Looking forward to hunting with family and friends.See last post!
First full season with a flint Fowler(ducks and geese,turkeys)
Got a nephew that can back me up with a dbl. :thumbsup:
Went back to my bowhunting roots with a recurve..
Going to be shooting a dedicated flint squirrel rifle too!
It's going to be a great fall.

Spend a couple nights outside under the stars.

Hike into some new areas to look for Deer that I've been looking at.

Shoot an antelope with my Flinter in Wyoming.

And last but most importanly: Get a bunch of mornings to sit in my spots and listen to the quit, decompress, be a part of the woods, be with all the critters....well, you all know.

I would like to spend a lot more time hunting deer with just my flinter. I am gonna try and gett away from the modern stuff. I have been seeing two great bucks. Maybe one of them I can get with the flinter!!!

My TVM .62 smoothie should be ready to go in about a week or so. My goal is to get healthy and strong so as to develop some shot and ball loads, and then enjoy some time chasing turkeys and deer. If all else fails, maybe be ready in time for some bunnies. One of them years I'll be glad to just get out there, and that aint too bad either.

this hunting season i would like to get my first deer with my new lyman trade 50 cal and break in my 4 year old God daughter to the deer woods. i know she will do nothing but :yakyak: but it will be fun. then in a few years let her get her first deer with a 50 cal :thumbsup:

Spend more time in the woods and listen to the critters. Be able to shoot a nice buck 6 points or better. I have a couple of new places to sit down at so maybe one of them will pay off. And last but not least do it all in period clothes! except for the hunter orange. :(

Break my pig jinx!!!

When I hunted trad archery only I killed pigs on a fairly regular basis. Since I started hunting with MLs I haven't been able to connect once! Blown a bunch of stalks and missed some shots but no ham on the stick!

This year I want to try to take the Gheenoe back to the islands in the swamp and do some 3 or 4 day long primitive hunts. That should help.

My plans are to take my first deer and turkey. (ok I am gonna try and get 2 or 3 turkeys)

Hunting rabbits is fun and the game I have hunted the most over the years, but there are no rabbits around these parts. I like rabbits because they think they are sneaky and smart, but they are just dumb bunnys and they are very predictable.

Good thread topic! I'm going to try and use Ol' Fearnaught for squirrels this year. I'm going back and forth on whether or not I should use it for deer this year. I'm hunting wood lines up against an open field that deer LOVE to cut through. A 60 or 70 yard shot might present itself and I think I'm gonna want to stick with my .58 for that....but you never know.

Back