• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone else have turkey hunting in mind?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If im not thinkin about deer huntin its squirrel huntin ,or turkey huntin or mushroom huntin or a new place to do all four.Curt

starts in ga. march 15. I hope to have a head dress by end of season. 3 birds with beards are allowed.

Here in Illinois, the spring turkey season is kind of strange. There are 5 seasons that run one after the other. The seasons last about 5 days each. The last season lasts a little longer. A tag is only good for bearded birds, and only valid for 1 season. We are allowed to draw up to 3 tags, but can only apply for 1 tag per drawing period. There are 3 drawing periods, and then a daily drawing until all tags are gone. It's difficult to draw more than 2 tags.

We also have a fall season that lasts 9 days and any bird can be taken. I have had better luck in the fall with my flintlock 12 ga. The last 2 years, have been tough to call in gobblers. They seem to be henned up the entire season. We seem to have too many turkeys anymore, to do any good calling them in. With dozens of live hens around; the gobblers just don't feel the need to go chasing after hen yelps.

I'm picking up a 20 gauge fowler this weekend just for that purpose! Season in Missouri opens in April which should give me plenty of ime to get 'er dialed in. Going to ne the most expensive turkey I've ever gone after!

Article in my new Fur Fish and Game by a guy hunting gobbler's with a Danny Caywood fowling piece. He's right-handed, gun is a lefty. He connected, and got my blood moving.

I have a 'date' with Danny Friday afternoon.
Once that is concluded, the rest of the weekend belongs to the wife. Get to play tourist, tour guide, etc. during the day and hiding out in a cabin outside Eureka Springs for our 26th.

Turkeys always have my blood pumping and Danny has been sending me teaser emails that just make it worse!

Haven't hunted turkeys in forty yrs. or so. But I just became the owner of a new fusil de Chasse and I'm-a-thinking it could be the start of something new.

Biggest problem is I'm pretty much deaf.

Always ready for PA spring turkey!! I inherited a rusty Pedersoli .50 cal. A local BP barrel maker drilled it out to 20 gauge. Had a screw-in choke
installed, did the experimenting, and the Remington is history.

I have not drawn a tag in 5 years :confused: ! BUT.... in AZ jr's (under 18 yr old) can buy a tag over the counter for $10.00 and the season starts a week before regular. I got a kid picked out! Took him 6 years ago or so and called in a nice one for the other boy (who missed?). Hiddin behind a dead log having reminded em not to move I was tickled as both boys feet were twitchin! LOVE Turkey season, my favorite by far! Gotta get the kid out shooting the 20 dbl and used to BP again soon! :)

okawbow said:
tags.

We seem to have too many turkeys anymore, to do any good calling them in. With dozens of live hens around; the gobblers just don't feel the need to go chasing after hen yelps.

Try gobblin'...those old boys are always looking for a fight with some interloper. :thumbsup:

Here in Michigan the seasons are convoluted. I hunt with a fusil de chasse and pretty much wear PC clothes and gear. Some day I hope to shoot one, too. :cursing: They can be very elusive. graybeard

Got my eyes on a couple birds, in the plus twenty pound range. I think one might be close to 25 lbs.

Can't decide on which gun, either my 36 long rifle or 62 smooth bore. I haven't shot the 62 yet, but as soon as this blizzard is out of here, range time, will commence.

Okawbow, that reminds me of trying to call some henned up gobblers...in.., a few years ago. Although, I knew the gobbler was hung up, and keep gobbling from the same location, I was relentless, with low clucks, calling softer and softer, then a loud gobble (right behind me) shook me out of my seat. Turns out a very large gobbler had slipped in from behind me, and was within a few feet of the tree, that I was sitting against. I don't know who was startled the most, me....or the turkey. Needless to say, he got the h**l out of Dodge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back