• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone have experience with the Mag Spark 209 primer for caplocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Title says it all......anyone try this Mag Spark 209 primer mod for caplocks? It has to be more ignition than a musket cap or #11 cap. What do you guys think?

First, I think it is not really traditional enough to talk about on the forum.

Second, I know that having to remove the cap, pry out the spent primer, install the new primer and then screw the cap back on takes a lot of time and it is a PITA to do. Especially if you drop the cap into the pine needles your standing on and have to spend time trying to find it.

I don't doubt that using it will make a much hotter, more powerful flame than a standard cap but unless your shooting something like Blackhorn 209 powder that is made for those guns we don't talk about, a more powerful flame isn't really needed if the nipple and flame channel in the gun are clean.
If a more powerful percussion cap is needed, the #11 Mag caps will usually do the job.

(I can't imagine someone wanting to spend over $30 for one of these Mag Spark things like the one I saw on e-bay.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back