• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone interested in splitting a batch of BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am in Northern Il. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the general area to split a #25 batch of BP? I was going to order some FFFG, but do not need #25. Might save some coin for others interested.

The way I understand it is, as long as the people that are splitting the order are predetermined, it's not a problem.
I thought somebody here posted an e-mail reply from BATFE explaining this, maybe a year ago or so.

Stumpkiller. I am not looking to redistribute. I just wanted to know if someone would like to split half an order. Maybe that is the same, I guess. Nothing is easy these days.

If it gets mailed to a single address, then that adressee is distributing if it passes to a non-resident of that address. And, as drug dealers find out, "distributing" is distributing whether for cash, exchange or as a gift.

Not saying I approve, disapprove or agree with it. Just want to keep our forum members free and happy. And I know it gets broken about as often as the laws regarding payment of state sales tax on your internet purchases when you file your state income taxes. ;-) Just be aware if you are the one that gets caught without a chair when the music stops it was discouraged by a member of this forum. If you're going to do it know your group. To fish for split-buddies on an international forum is sticking your neck out a bit.
:hatsoff:

§ 842. Unlawful acts
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person””
(1) to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in explosive materials without a license issued under this chapter;
(2) knowingly to withhold information or to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive for the purpose of obtaining explosive materials, or a license, permit, exemption, or relief from disability under the provisions of this chapter;
(3) other than a licensee or permittee knowingly”“
(A) to transport, ship, cause to be transported, or receive any explosive materials; or
(B) to distribute explosive materials to any person other than a licensee or permittee; or
(4) who is a holder of a limited permit””
(A) to transport, ship, cause to be transported, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any explosive materials; or
(B) to receive explosive materials from a licensee or permittee, whose premises are located outside the State of residence of the limited permit holder, or on more than 6 separate occasions, during the period of the permit, to receive explosive materials from 1 or more licensees or permittees whose premises are located within the State of residence of the limited permit holder.

Dealer. Any person engaged in the business of distributing explosive materials at wholesale or retail.

Distribute. To sell, issue, give, transfer, or otherwise dispose of. The term does not include a mere change of possession from a person to his agent or employee in connection with the agency or employment.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5400-7.pdf

PS - I have no love for Obaba but this legislation goes back to 1970.

"Organized Crime Control Act of 1970, Title XI" though I pulled the above quotes from the 2007 update.

I understand and appreciate your response. By no means did I want to get in trouble or anyone else for that matter. So to all that read I appologise. Should have done a little more homework.
Thanks again, I guess I will just have to shoot more getting #25. What a rough life to have to do that, hahahahaha.

With all due respect, my gun club has been making combined orders for members, who pay for the powder before its purchased, and its shipped to ONE address- usually the club secretary, or treasurer. He calls the members when the powder arrives, and they go to his house to pick up THEIR powder. He is NOT a distributor within the meaning of the Act. He is simply a shipment receiver. He is Not selling the powder, as he has already acquired the member's money for the purchase.

We checked with ATF way back then( 1970s) about this, and were told that agency had nothing to complain about. Because I live in Illinois, all members buying powder are required to have an Illinois FOID card. Our club by-laws required that identification card to be a member, since its needed to possess any firearm, including MLers.

To claim that every person ordering powder must order his own, and pay for it himself, would make this act a gun owner Registration Scheme, something Congress specifically decided it was not going to allow ATF to do, and has repeated passed laws preventing any federal agency from registering guns or gun owners, other than those required to be registered and taxed, under legislation from the 1930s affecting what we call now Class III firearms( machine guns, sawed off shotguns, etc.) :hmm: :thumbsup:

Thanks Cannon. I was just asking here to see if anyone would be interested. I do not want to upset anyone, or get anyone in trouble. I was going to purchase #25 in one pound cans, but I do not need that much, therefore asked the question. I wish I was closer to you and join the club down there. I am having a hard time finding a club close to where I live. Probably go into WI. Ohio and Montana was easier.
Thank you for the reply.

There are several MLing Rifle Clubs in Northern Illinois, at Rockford, and at Lake county.

Contact the NMLRA to find Charter clubs in both Illinois and Wisconsin.

There is a State Line club just over the border in Wisconsin, north of Lake County, Illinois where lots of Lake County shooters go.

Gunstores, and even Sheriff's offices can direct you to local clubs, as well, or to BP shooters they know who can help you meet others. There are always people who need a place to shoot, friends with whom to combine resources to save money on buying powder, and have formed clubs to get there.

Call Dick Greensides at Pecatonica River, outside Rockford, to ask about clubs. He should be back from Friendship( where he is this week for the Fall Nationals) this next Monday.

Custom smokepole and paul.Or anyone else in illinois.
Illinois has a law that states 5 pound of black per foid card.Check your laws guys.
Il.also has other laws for storage of black powder.

crowkiller said:
Custom smokepole and paul.Or anyone else in illinois.
Illinois has a law that states 5 pound of black per foid card.Check your laws guys.
Il.also has other laws for storage of black powder.

Illinois, looks to have too many fences to own black powder?

I live in Northern Illinois and I shoot at Sycamore gun club in Sycamore. They have a monthly shootout which I believe starts in October.
BillK

custom smokepole
Where do you live in northern il.?
I know of where you can buy powder in n il.for a good price.
elephant 7.50 lb.
diamondback 9.50 lb.
schutzen 13.00 lb.
swiss I think 16.50 lb.
There wouldn't be hasmat charge.
In il. you could 5 lb. and if your wife,son,brother,father has a FOID card they could buy 5 lbs.also.
I would post the name of the distributor but i'm not sure what the site rules are here.

There are no rules against posting the source of black powder as long as you are not affiliated in any way with the company.

Bill, I am pretty new to the area, or 5 years, however you want to look at it. I have heard of a few, but I know of the one in Rockford, and the one up around Whitewater and Beloit. The one in Milto by Whitewater I guess would be the closest. I am really looking for a club that is ALL BP. It just works out better that way.
Thanks

Custom smokepole
Here is the distributors name.
Crater Fireworks
Jon Blackert
Mineral IL.61344
815-542-6287 or 563-529-1064
Call first for pickup so he can get your order ready.

Latest posts

Back