• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone recognize this rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This rifle was owned by my brother in law. I think he built it from a kit.
.36 caliber
no markings on the barrel or anywhere else I can find.
back story
My bil was killed in an accident 40 years ago. He was 30 years old. He left three children, including a 6 month old daughter.
The rifle was stored by his wife, and has not seen any use in the following years.
The middle son of my bil has ended up with the rifle. He knows nothing about muzzleloaders, I told him I would take it home, make sure it wasn't loaded and check it out.
Everything seems to be ok except the set trigger is not working. the front trigger will drop the hammer.
I haven't done anything yet except oil the exterior of the barrel.
Wonder if anyone recognizes the kit. It would have been purchased likely in the late 1970's to early 1980's.

20241027_131659.jpg
20241027_131616.jpg
20241027_131559.jpg

Attachments

• 20241027_131559.jpg
    20241027_131559.jpg
    1.8 MB
Are the threaded screws metric or UNF?

Any markings on the inside of the lock plate?

Any markings on the underside of the barrel?

Markings will be few and far between on an early kit such as this one.

Has the look of an early Spanish kit.

The set screw may need to be backed out or solidified grease removed from the triggers to adjust the set triggers.

Are the threaded screws metric or UNF?

Any markings on the inside of the lock plate?

Any markings on the underside of the barrel?

Markings will be few and far between on an early kit such as this one.

Has the look of an early Spanish kit.

The set screw may need to be backed out or solidified grease removed from the triggers to adjust the set triggers.
I haven't taken the lock plate off yet, and I will not be pulling the barrel. It is pinned.
Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back