• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arquebus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Riegl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
:grin: Well I spoke with John Buck two days ago (man does he have a bad cold )and after a little discussion here's a close example of my future serpentine matchlock (harquebus, arquebus,???)
SerpentineMatchlock.jpg
Some difference is that the barrel will be an octagonal to round with a "flared"( don't know the correct word) barrel. :applause: :hatsoff:

Hey! I have the same one! Mine has the .54 cal round barrel though. John does a great job on these, I love mine. I'd contact Syke's Sutlery to get some hemp slowmatch once they're done moving.

Pasquenel:

:grin: Well I spoke with John Buck two days ago (man does he have a bad cold )and after a little discussion here's a close example of my future serpentine matchlock (harquebus, arquebus,???)
SerpentineMatchlock.jpg
Some difference is that the barrel will be an octagonal to round with a "flared"( don't know the correct word) barrel. :applause: :hatsoff:

Nice choice! Mine (Isolde) has the round .54 barrel.

Which caliber did you get for your's? Looking forward to hearing about your new baby! :applause:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Dig,
I attempted to contact them by email and my mail cam bouncing back to me as undeliverable. Sigh.
volatpluvia

In theory, Syke's was supposed to be done moving in October, but by the looks of the site it's taking a bit longer than that. I'd just keep checking back on their site to see if there's any updates. Hopefully it's soon, I'm going to need some PC slowmatch and a bandoleer this season.

Teleoceras,

Just curious, did you keep the finish as is or dress it up a bit? I'm not 100% sold on the flat finish mine has. What other PC options are out there?

:v Why not make your own Slow Match---I purchased 100' of a Cotton "magician's" rope and 2# Potassium Nitrate---made a solution, soaked the cord for two days---dried it out and I have slow match. Check for Muzzleloader links on this forum for sites like Slow Match and sites for other supplies. :thumbsup:

:grin: Teleo----the bore will be 0.62---because I have a mould in that size. :thumbsup:

I may have found a source for hemp rope so I'll probably end up doing that... It's got to be cheaper than $9 / yard!

DiG:

Just curious, did you keep the finish as is or dress it up a bit? I'm not 100% sold on the flat finish mine has. What other PC options are out there?

I rubbed a couple of coats of linseed oil into the stock. It turned out pretty nice to me.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Pasquanel,
Where did you get you 100% cotton rope? I think I may ahve a source for hemp, locally, gotta check it out.
volatpluvia

I'll have to give that a shot... it seems that whenever I clean mine the fouling has a tendency to stain the stock so I have to be really careful not to get any on the wood.

Hey, Thanks, Pasquenel,
Another question. Will Manilla rope serve? It is all natural manilla rope. I may just have to order a roll of rope from the folks at the link you posted anyway.
volatpluvia

Very nice gun!

May I ask if it´s a replika of some preserved gun? or if not, have you seen it in a painting or something? In other words: what are your sources?

/Sommer

M. Sommer:

Very nice gun!

May I ask if it´s a replika of some preserved gun? or if not, have you seen it in a painting or something? In other words: what are your sources?

The piece is copied from plate D in the Osprey The Swiss at War 1300-1500 minus the hole drilled in the stock for the thong.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Back