• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

August 19 is National Potato Day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

August 19 is National Potato Day!​

I love potatoes and jumped at the chance to celebrate National potato Day this month.

The usual three categories: rifle, smoothbore, (smoothbore must not be equipped with rear sight - front sight/bead only) or handgun

Two ways to shoot: Offhand from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun.
Bench rest/supported from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun

Mark the box on your targets as either rifle or smoothbore or handgun and either offhand or benchrest/supported.

I've been receiving questions on how to participate in this monthly contest. For new participants, download the pdf file at the bottom of this post and print it full size. Post your target by taking a picture of it with the information filled in and scored by you and post it back to this thread.

5 shots for score
Hit the potato bullseye for 10 points. Hits in the rest of the spud count 5 points. Shoot 3 shots into the left potato and 2 shots into the right potato. Take ONE bonus shot at the french fry and if you hit it with the ball halfway into the fry you get 10 bonus points.

Ball must be half way into the target area to score points. Maximum score is 50 pts + 10 bonus points = 60 points.

Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target per category with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please score your own targets and write your score on the target along with information on the load you used and other info including rifle/pistol or smoothbore, bench or supported. If you do not check the boxes I won't know where to post your scores. I will check scores and it helps me if you will draw a line to each hole in the target and write your points for each shot - makes it easier for me to check the targets.

Prize is same as always - bragging rights on the forum!

I will be posting July results later this week.

Have fun!

Gary

Attachments

• August 2024 Target.pdf
    70.5 KB · Views: 0

August 19 is National Potato Day!​

I love potatoes and jumped at the chance to celebrate National potato Day this month.

The usual three categories: rifle, smoothbore, (smoothbore must not be equipped with rear sight - front sight/bead only) or handgun

Two ways to shoot: Offhand from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun.
Bench rest/supported from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun

Mark the box on your targets as either rifle or smoothbore or handgun and either offhand or benchrest/supported.

I've been receiving questions on how to participate in this monthly contest. For new participants, download the pdf file at the bottom of this post and print it full size. Post your target by taking a picture of it with the information filled in and scored by you and post it back to this thread.

5 shots for score
Hit the potato bullseye for 10 points. Hits in the rest of the spud count 5 points. Shoot 3 shots into the left potato and 2 shots into the right potato. Take ONE bonus shot at the french fry and if you hit it with the ball halfway into the fry you get 10 bonus points.

Ball must be half way into the target area to score points. Maximum score is 50 pts + 10 bonus points = 60 points.

Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target per category with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please score your own targets and write your score on the target along with information on the load you used and other info including rifle/pistol or smoothbore, bench or supported. If you do not check the boxes I won't know where to post your scores. I will check scores and it helps me if you will draw a line to each hole in the target and write your points for each shot - makes it easier for me to check the targets.

Prize is same as always - bragging rights on the forum!

I will be posting July results later this week.

Have fun!

Gary
Thank you Gary. Ready to shoot.

I shot 5 offhand targets in high heat under a blistering sun. I tried but could not put together an impressive target.

Attachments

• 20240801_223104.jpg
    20240801_223104.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240801_172716_HDR.jpg
    20240801_172716_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The weather conditions in North East Ohio were ideal tonight for shooting. Changed things up a bit and shot my Investarms Bridger Hawken. This is the best of 4 attempts.

Attachments

• 20240815_213507.jpg
    20240815_213507.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I may have a chance to print some of these out today,
if anyone else here does not have access to a printer please let me know I'll print you out a handful and mail them to you .
and please do let me know if you need some I'll be more than happy to

Gotta say you’d best fertilize your tater crop a bit more for shootin size! But…..I did hit the French Fry twice! May try it with my Hatfield off the bench if I have time. Scoring it as 20!
The targets always look larger when I print them out! They shrink when I look at them at the end of my rifle!

Well, had a little time this afternoon to shoot the potatoes. I was right - they looked much smaller at 25 yards looking down the barrel! Used #1-1/2 buckshot from ballistic products in my Kibler .32 SMR. Sun kept going behind clouds while I was shooting and I’m blaming the changing lighting for inconsistent accuracy - that’s my story and I’m sticking to it:ghostly:

IMG_2223.jpegIMG_2222.jpeg

Latest posts

Back