• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back to the tradition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartEllis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What the heck is wrong with deer hunting without using bait, corn, etc., and not using scent hiding sprays and clothes and such? Had a lengthy argument type of discussion if you could call it that, concerning modern hunting with older "back to the basics of hunting" methods. I'd like to learn to hunt, but using my percussion muzzleloader, using older methods to hide my smell and my person. Was told that I was wasting my time. What is soooo wrong with "earning" a deer? :cursing: Any pointers in the right articles would be appreciated!

I still hunt with wind in my face and still
hunt. bearly moving. had the same talk with my son's friend. before last bear season.
seems he was wrong. Bear 0 --50 cal ball at 30 yards 1 .

Hunting old school is easy, all you have to do is hunt where the deer are, and keep right with the wind. Thats all there is to it, except when the deer dont cooperate. :grin: I don't buy into all the latest and greatest manure, but then again I'm not the world's greatest deer hunter either. I'm just persistent enough to put one or two in the freezer a year.

Congrats on the bear! Figure on hunting with a ball also. Wish I had a flint lock, but percussion is the best I can do for now!

Latest and greatest manure is well said. THEY produce these products for a reason. TO MAKE MONEY. Can't wait to put deer in the freezer some time, feeling like "I" did it, not the corn thrown down as bait.

Stu Ellis said:
What the heck is wrong with deer hunting without using bait, corn, etc., and not using scent hiding sprays and clothes and such?

Nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, using bait is illegal in NY. I've always wondered why those that use baits and such never seem to include them in the hero shot of the kill.

Never seen a full-body mount of a bear with it's head in a garbage can.

What the heck is wrong with deer hunting without using bait, corn, etc., and not using scent hiding sprays and clothes and such?

Simple, it don't sell nothin'!

First thing to do is quit reading the hunting magazines and watching the TV shows.
Second thing is to load up your gun and go hunting. Keep the wind in your favor. Don't move too fast or too much. Aim true. Bring the deer home and eat it. :thumbsup:
... but that don't sell magazines, airtime, or gadgets.

Stump i burst out laughing when i read that last line. If ever out by columbia county we should make smoke. Seems we think alike!

Here I always thought that the smell of Black Powder was attracting those deer to me. I know one thing they don't equate it to danger or humans as far as I can tell and may be infact the original Cover Scent. Maybe I could bottle a little fouling up and sell it to those centerfire folks.

Oh the beauty of black powder, patched ball and the simplicity of a flintlock rifle. It's snowing here and it's beautiful but tinkering with my gear isn't cuttin it. Hunting after work tonight!

One must remember that "fools and their money are soon parted" was uttered by P.T. Barnum, right after he got swindled. The second part of that axiom is that folks found to be foolish hate to admit they were so, and this is why you find those who swear you cannot take deer without 21st century products.

The very first deer that I ever shot with my current flintlock rifle, was done in drizzling rain and I donned a capote that my buddy returned to me that very morning.

NOW I had asked him NOT to wash the thing, when he was done with it, just give it back to me, dirty or not. (I prefer to simply rinse my outer garments, or to use lye soap alone as a cleaner if needed.)

So there I was in the woods when the rain fell, and all of a sudden the oddest, "spring fresh" odor cames to my nostrils..., EGAD :shocked2: my buddy's wife had washed the capote in Tide® as well as fabric softener!! I mean it's one thing to omit cover scents, but quite another to smell like you just popper out of the dryer after a few tumbles with the Snuggle® Teddy Bear! :barf:

Shortly after that I heard three does in the thick brush behind me (and downwind as well) announce with many snorts they did not appreciate my odor either, and they scampered away.

About an hour later a button buck crept near me, broadside to the wind from me, and I was able to take him, no worries.

So the moral of the story..., if I can take a deer wearing a capote stinking of fresh, modern, detergent, by grace of the wind direction..., so can others.

:thumbsup:

(Hunting is like Golf; there are plenty of gadgets made to "improve" one's game, which only really improve the maker's bottom line. :wink: )

LD

Once you reject the idea that deer are impossible to sneak up on, or that they have super-hero like senses, then going out deer hunting can be as simple a task and with as little prep as squirrel hunting.

Like others said, the woods have to be holding deer, of course. I don't use scent, camo, or bait. I walked up on a buck last year to within 15 yards. By walk, I mean taking 30min to move 50 yards. He knew something was up and then closed to within 10 yards to check me out. So, I shot him.

You're right. Earn the deer. I'd rather take a deer with the means and techniques I find satisfying than using equipment,bait, camo, blinds, that will "guarantee" me a deer.

Another man that's been hunting some of the same property as my father and I has harvested two deer so far to our zero. Well, it's because he can shoot across a 175yd field with his rifled shotgun. If he sees the deer, it's dead. He's sniping and we're hunting. Fine if you just want meat in the freezer (although he gives them away if he thinks they're too small), but it doesn't satisfy my intended goal. Sure, I probably go longer than some guys without a deer, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

One thing you can do to give yourself a bit more of an edge and is very traditional, is rub wood ashes on your clothes, and skin. It's pretty effective at covering the human smell.

I HUNT the old way,I enjoy the piece and quite.
Sometime's it means you have to put a little more time in the woods.THAT in my book is less stressfull and more relaxing than worrying about the deer eating my corn.Just mean's you get to spend more time in the woods doing something relaxing and enjoyable. :wink:
WALT

stop your whining. You dont think they did it in the old days? Watching a waterhole until something comes by... BAIT... Taking surrounding tree leaves such as cedar/juniper,pine needles and crushing them and rubbing the scent all over your clothing.. Sage brush again is very popular to use in Colorado when you are stalking something... A very good edge.

An indian draping a wolf pelt over his back to stalk closer to game is the same as a hunter today using camo clothing.

Just because others do it their way, doesn't mean you should go around whining about it. You are your own person, DO IT YOUR OWN WAY and let others do it their way. :doh:

Stump, that was hillarious! And very well put! Thinking the next time my budy walks over to his buck head mounted on the wall I'll ask him where the corn is at! Thanks man!

Not winning here man! Not much of a hunter. I'm the guy who everyone says "I'll give you a call and we will go out. Never happened. It's all good! I'd rather not go, sit in a tree stand with every repelent known to man. I'd rather get mine honest!

Thanks Trench!

That was very encouraging! I'd rather walk and stalk, and feel good about the dear I got. Not much of a "sitter" here!

the moral of the story..., if I can take a deer wearing a capote stinking of fresh, modern, detergent, by grace of the wind direction..., so can others.

Dave, that is what I am saying. Although thinking I will take steps so I don't smell as bad as the local detergent isle of your local Dollar General, but you are exactly right. One thing my friend told me was "You will never get the big buck because they are too well educated"... I feel like... noooooooooo... you are too much taken in by TV, and their ads!

capotes, moccasins are cute and all, but not practical in these parts of the woods. Maybe for the easterner whos hunting their neighbors wooded lot but not up here
100_1061.jpg

Save the little cute outfits for rendezvous or dress up on the weekends. I did it once and while it was fun, my feet surely loved my Rocky boots when I was dragging that elk back to the truck. The capote also would have been pure trouble in the thick oak brush we have to go through down here.

Back