• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baking Soda to stop rusting process.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is a good ratio for baking soda to water as a solution to use to stop the rusting process?
Also I have found that Laurel Mountain Forge barrel brown is far more aggressive than that offered by Dixie Gun Works.

What I did on mine was to insert it into a 2in conduit capped at one end six inches longer than the barrel, hanging by the tang bolt hole. I then pored boiling distilled water, waited a couple of minutes, then started spooning the baking soda. Stand back when or if you do this because this is going to erupt the water out of the pipe. I replaced the water that boiled out and spooned in more soda. Repeated the program until it stopped boiling and fizzing. I used the entire box.
I used boiling water because I was looking for more of a blackish red color. I'm sure that cold distilled water will give you the same in stopping the rusting.
I finished doing the last carding with a coat of 0w2o motor oil and let sit for 24hours.
Hope this helps. I don't believe there is a good ratio rule.
Kno-ie

I found that LMF is at times hard to get to stop rusting. I mixed up a slurry of baking soda and water to be paste-like and covered my barrel with it. The rusting didn't stop so I wiped the barrel down several times with ammonia, it still didn't stop. I was assured by the guys here that the rusting would stop in time, it did about a month later.

I heated the barrel and wiped it down with motor oil, the rusting continued.

I kept carding with denim, I didn't get a lot of rust but enough to keep carding and oiling.

still rusting.JPG

I've always used liberal amounts of motor oil over the course of several days to stop the rusting process. It works.

I let the barrel soak for 2-3 days in the strongest household ammonia I can get; then a 2-3 day soak in motor oil. Final step is a couple of coats of paste wax

I agree with rchas, all of the small parts I submerged in ammonia overnight stopped rusting immediately, wiping it on a barrel wasn't nearly as effective.

Browned and submerged in ammonia, no after rust.

browned 001.JPG

Back