• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ball possibly not seated..now what

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott B

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello
I'm afraid I have a problem. I just bought a used .32 cal Pedersoli Pennsylvania percussion gun. I fired it for the first time today -- one shot. On the first loading, I marked the ramrod (two of them, actually). I used 25 grains FFF and a patched .310 ball and a cut ticking patch. I used the same pre-set powder measure.
After that first shot, I walked straight into the house, swabbed the barrel, put in a charge, went to seat the ball (which started down very tightly), and could seat it no farther than about one inch above where the first ball was seated.
Now I've competed with or shot black powder guns for 30 years, and have never been in this spot. Certainly I'm not perfect, but I'm about 100% sure I did not double charge the gun (I truly have never done that before). But that ball won't budge; I've even hammered a bit on the end of the rod to be sure. It's stopped dead, just like it's seated. Since the gun is new to me, there could be a tight spot in the barrel, or the cut patch could have binded around the ball -- I cut it very short. I'm new to .32 -- have always, in rifles anyway, shot .50's and .54, and I've heard the smaller bores foul more noticeably.

Finally, here's my question: If the ball IS an inch off the charge, is 25 grains of FFF enough to bulge the barrel, or should I go ahead and try to shoot it out? I have no access to a Co2 ball remover, and the thing was so tight I dread the idea of using a puller. In .32, the barrel is mighty thick, and as someone used to 60-90 grains of powder, 25 grains sound like not much. Still, I don't want to destroy the barrel -- or worse. Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't take the chance. Get a good stout brass rod (or iron rod with a brass tip) and get the ball seated before shooting it out.

:hmm: You did wipe the barrel before loading and if the ball was seating down the barrel smoothly and suddenly stopped. :cursing: I would guess that it is a double charge, with 25gr that would be about an inch of additional charge height. I don't know if a double charge would harm this particular rifle. I would not try a ball puller as they by nature expand the ball and make it tighter. I would pull the nipple or drum and check to see if the powder charge is loose or compacted.If it is loose then the ball is likely stuck, if it is compacted then you have multiple charge. :surrender: I would remove the breech, remove the powder and push the ball out. Just keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction until the charge is removed. :v

If it was a flint I'd say pull the breechplug and drive it out. But that's risky on an import percussion. Some of them are breeched with the drum fitted to the plug. I'd buy a co2 gadget. If that doesn't work I'd contact Lee Shaver, Pedersoli's warranty and service guy. 417-682-3330 or [email protected].

Duane

You could try the grease thing. Find a grease fitting to fit the nipple hole and pump the grease to it, as it is small, won't take as much as a big bore. Been lot of people here that did this. They says works good. I have never had to do it yet. Worth a try. Slounds like you double loaded or there is a rust ring were someone left it loaded and it got moisture at top of powder. Good luck, you will get it out. Dilly

Just get a stout rod, a T-handle, a ball puller attachment and pull the thing out...that's what they're made for...I pull my load after every hunt during all the hunting seasons, in every caliber from .40 to .62cal, 35-40 times a season...it's simple.

Slide the rod/puller into the ball with a little authority to sort of start the tip, then take about 4-5 half turns into the ball while pushing/screwing the puller in...then slide the ball out...if you lack the leverage, find something strong to hook the T-handle behind so you can grip the rifle with both hands and gradually pull the rifle away from the ball.

For what it's worth, I don't think 25 gr. is going to bulge that barrel. My guess would be, as previously suggested, a rust ring from improper maintenance. That, or maybe you DID double up on it. You'll probably know that as soon as you touch it off.

But, if this barrel has a removeable breech plug, for sure take it out before you shoot it again (making sure first that it's indexed for proper replacement) and see about that troubled spot.

Thanks for all the fast replies!
I found my own solution -- and it was a freak thing.
I was hammering on a 5/8" dowel down the barrel to see if I could seat it further, then noticed the dowel got stuck. I pulled it out with pliers, to find a 1" length of brass stuck on it. The guy I bought the gun from included a home-made short starter, which I was using to load with. The brass tip he had put on it dropped off when I short started, and I had rammed it home with the PRB. There was my unexplained 1" of "air" space! Guess that would have left a weird hole on the target if I had gone ahead and fired it out -- I would have been perplexed for life.
Thanks again for the fast, thoughtful replies.
Scott

Scott: Learn from that mistake. PIN all your ferrules to the rods, including the ferrule on the short starter. Pin the handles, too, so they don't pull of when you are trying to pull a ball out of the barrel.

Next. Get a good range rod for that gun. I have a stainless steel range rod I am totally sold on. I have a larger diameter aluminum alloy range rod for my 20 ga. fowler, that works wonderfully, but if I have to pull a ball from a rifle, I am going to use my stainless steel rod every time. It has never failed me.

Then, buy the proper ball puller jag, the proper patch pulling jag, and ball or bullet seating jag for that caliber. Give that bore a very good scrubbing to clean it totally out, so you can find out if there is a rust spot down there because of some neglect caused by a prior owner. You may end up having to pull the breechplug, and lap the barrel to get that rough area gone, but at least you can plan to do that on your own time, and not have it interrupt a shoot or worse, a hunt.

All good points, and well-taken. I have all the items you mention as far as jags/attachments, including the screw-type puller. I've used those with hesitation in the past -- can only picture that screw cutting into the side of the bore, or getting it stuck along with the ball. But I have used them. As for the pinning of the tips, I will definitely check everything I've got to verify that. I never thought to check the puller he gave me. I've got various range rods for all my larger bore flinters (nearly all I shoot), but I'll get one or two for the squirrel gun now.
Thanks again for the great tips. :thumbsup:

Back