• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel bulged

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbokie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My pedersoli Pennsylvania .45, that I bought late december or early january, now has a bulge about 6" from the muzzle. :(

I guess I could use it to make pistols or something.

This just completely ruins my day.

I've never used more than 60 grains. A bit less actually, say maybe 59 grains. I've only used one pillow ticking patch that I lubed ala Dutch Schoultz methodology at 8:1. It wasn't that hard to push down, so it couldn't have been that tight.

It went right over the target, so I'm guessing that was the best seal I've had.

I'm at a loss to explain why it failed. :idunno:

Sorry to hear of your troubles an I cant tell you how it happened but I wouldnt give up on it just yet. I knew a guy that had a 50 cal flintlock an when I looked at it I seen it was bulged about half way of the barrel. He said he done it years ago an he still shoots it an by the groups I seen him shoot it sure didnt affect his accuracy. You could see a ring looking down the barrel an you could feel it but it wasnt bulged bad. If yours is really bad then I would let a gunsmith look at it. :thumbsup:

It is likely that the ball was short started and never rammed down. That is the most common cause of a bulging barrel near the muzzle. Must be great barrel steel and I'm glad you're OK. I know all of us think that it is impossible for an experienced shooter to do this but I personally know 2 shooters who have been highly competitive shooters for decades who did this.

mbokie said:
I'm at a loss to explain why it failed. :idunno:

That's easy...after you short started the ball you forgot to seat it all the way down, and a bulged barrel is the result...classic case of a bore obstruction...lucky the barrel didn't burst and hurt a bystander if there was anyone else around.

As rich posted it was probably due to a short start. Possibly a shot or two earlier that wasn't noticed. Itonly takes a second of distraction for things like this to happen. :idunno: :idunno:

That's the only option.

What I can't account for is when. I always go to the witness mark.

I'll get rid of a cf and buy a new barrel, I guess.

Rich Pierce said:
I know all of us think that it is impossible for an experienced shooter to do this but I personally know 2 shooters who have been highly competitive shooters for decades who did this.

IMO, I think the more experience we have the greater the odds of these things happening because the loading routine becomes such an unconscious act after a while...the body is just going through the mechanical motions without actually, specifically concentrating on each step...same loss of concentration that causes us to occasionally dry-ball.

mbokie , By bulge, do you mean you can see it from the outside? Or, is it that you can feel the patched ball kind of skip past that area, and you can see an area in the bore that is slightly enlarged. Do you use a short starter? Six inches from the muzzle sounds like you may have short started the ball, maybe got distracted, and forgot to send the ball down seating it on the powder. Some people call that "Ringing" the barrel, the pressure wave hits the short started ball and expands a ring inside the barrel at that point. Two schools of thought on that, one is that they ignore it and keep shooting, another is that a weak spot has been created and the barrel should be replaced, or in your case cut back. The ones I have heard of mostly are more towards the breach where the ball wasn't seated. Can't really say without looking at it, good luck. Wow, a lot added since I started typing this.
Robby

Thanks Rich.

I don't know what pedersoli uses for barrels.

It's not terrible. You can't see it externally, but you can just feel it on one flat and see it looking down the bore really well.

Not sure if I want to use it.

I'm in the market for a barrel. I need something to shoot until I get my build done, which won't be any time soon.

Rich and roundball, I'm not that experienced. I only started into flints and bp this past January.

It's not hard to account for my neglignece, now that I think about it.

I've done everything but bulged the barrel until now.

So am I a veteran bp shooter now? :haha:

I feel like a real toad. :redface:

I've never damaged a gun in my life. And now I've done it to my favorite.

Well, gotta keep shootin' and carry on.

I need a new barrel.

Could I use the barrel to make pistols?

You can't see it outside the barrel but you sure can inside.

The short starter is a possibility. Everyone gets to yakking on the line and I'm as bad as anyone.

mbokie said:
I feel like a real toad. :redface:
Just try to let go of it...I know you're disappointed but try to put it behind you...life goes on and nobody is going to look down their nose at this...I've not only dry-balled several times, but worse, a couple times my mind was so much still "back at work" that I've dry-balled, pulled the ball, then immediately dry-balled again...LOL...could have just as easily been a forgotten short start.

I have even put the powder in an then shot with no ball :redface: an have dry balled more times than I willing to tell about :shake: So dont let it bother you cause there are only 2 kinds of muzzleloader shooters. Those that have an those that are about too :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. I definitely needed to hear that. Still feeling pretty toady, though.

I'll get over it the minute I have a new barrel.

I have zero interest in my cfs anymore. I'm going to make some trades for smokepoles. I need something to shoot.

:rotf:

Well, I'm in the first category now. I've graduated. :cursing: :haha:

There is not a darn thing I can do about it.

I need a new barrel or a new iron all together.

Would have to agree with the others here , certainly sounds like a failure to push the ball the rest of the way downbore after using the short starter. Sam Fadala did some extensive expermenting with short started projectiles , and the failures or bulging was always just shy nof the short started projectile.
If it were my gun I,d replace the barrel or shorten it? More likely cut it up and make a pistol or two. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back