• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel bulged

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, you're right and the point is not arguable. :thumbsup:

I've got kits on the way, but I won't get to shoot those for some time.

So I'll have to live up to the other part of being a bp man and that is buy guns that fire bp, buck and balls.

I need a new rifle.

I have to agree.

The more I look, it is exactly where the short starter would sit when inserted.

Pistols it will become. I like my rifles as long as I can use them and hold them comfortably.

All of pedersoli's barrels must pass the Italian proof house. They are proofed at about 29,000 psi. Their stuff is not cheap.

I think Roundball is right on this, often the longer we do something the more the chance of being carless, a sort of overconfidence syndrome,or getting careless as we forget how terrible things can go. I shot ML's for 25 years before my first dryball and act of shooting my rr down range...both on the same day, on a trail walk with plenty of people to see that it happens to everyone sooner or later....and of course to give a barrage of interesting coments about the situation, there was a bit of sympathy later in the day as a yellow jacket flew up my clout and planted his stinger closer to a place I would rather he had not, it was game fodder for the whole club for several months when all new things to talk about had been exhausted from time to time
which was a good thing as it was a part of the daily safety talk and probably inserted some reality into the procedings, I figured there was nothing wrong in being the "butt" of a joke if it may help someone else from making a mistake.

Heck mbokie, if you feel like a toad, I guess maybe I should claim the title Bull Frog. At one time or another I've dry balled, double balled, loaded two full patched ball loads, I knew I did something wrong when my rod wouldn't go down all the way, But the pies de resistance is when, some years ago, at a shoot. I lined up next to a fellow that had been a medic in my company in VN. What are the chances of that?. Then I look behind me and here comes a fellow (three tours in VN) I grew up with and hadn't seen in years. So were jabbering away like magpies, all the while trying to keep up with the shoot. Well, I raise up my 20ga. smoothie, pull the trigger, and rocked back on my heels, wow I thought I must have double charged it, and went to grab my ram rod. I'm looking around for it on the ground, think, oh sh%&, when the range captain comes over, and says man, I saw you rock back, what'd you do shoot your rod, no problem, go on up to the target shed and they'll help you out. So I explain what happened to the gal running the show. She smiles, says Oh, okay and disappears back in the shed. Comes back smiling and hangs a sign around my neck that says "DUMB SH%&". Yeah, in the spirit of things I wore it. The range captain came up to me a said not to feel bad, that every man on the line has done that and worse. The rest of the morning was filled with tales from everyone there of their misadventures with their muzzleloaders. Ah me, true confessions :grin: . Hope this eases the pain a bit, like R/B says, just move on.
Robby

Mbokie,

You sure can cut it up and use it for pistol barrels. And the front piece from the muzzle to the bulge can be used for inletting practice. I' would cut back an inch from the bulge just to be on the safe side.

I've bought a couple of well worn barrels for learning. I am cutting them down to pistol size so I can practice swamping, charcoal bluing, inletting, freshing, and some wire inlay if I am feeling especially in need of a challenge!

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chroniclesâ„¢
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

mbokie, I know how you feel it just makes you sick. as a word of encouragement, your problem may be more in your head than with the gun. I have gunsmithed for over 40 years, and have some experience with bulged bbls. I understand you have about 6 inches of good bbl after the bulge. My experience is that if a person has enough good bbl for the ball to pass thru after the bulge, the bbl will shoot auccrately. The only thing to do is to shoot your gun and then replace the bbl or not depending upon the bbls performance meeting your expations. In my experience most bulged bbls will shoot ok and only a few have had to be replaced. SHOOT THE GUN THEN DECIDE. yours hounddog

I had a bulge in prized flinter that couldn't be seen or felt from the outside. A patch run down the bore sure felt it, though. It was just behind the rear sight. Nevertheless, that was the most accurate over .40 rifle I've ever fired. Shoot the rifle and if it is still accurate don't worry about it. If it isn't then it can be shortened. Good luck.

No it's not cheap. I'll have to sell a cf to buy it. I've blown my gun money for years on the 2 Chambers kits.

okay I will confess I have short started my 42 inch green mtn 3 times. I shoot 45 caliber 60 fff pillowticking,and I have no visible bulge, and I cant feel anything inside, gun is still as accurate as I allow it to be. If I do my part its on. I know I am playing with fire and hated it every time I did it. I was of course distracted everytime. the last time I did it at a woods walk talking to a guy as I was loading."bad idea." the other 2 times happened after I had left the courthouse dealing with a "fishing" situation. Dang it I hope I never do it again. I have dry balled as many times but $%it Happens. get it checked for safety and then shoot it to see if it is still on.

If your internally bulged barrel still shoot accurately the just ignore the bulge and continue to use it.
Every time you load up and feel the ball slide past the bulge it will remind you to concentrate on your loading procedure.

We're kinda neighbours. :v

I dunno, I can't get my mind wrapped around shooting something I know is damaged.

I'm thinkin' I'll just replace it and use it to make some pistols.

I'll call one of the pistols "Bulged Barrel" another one "never forget." and another one "short start". :haha:

I may try it. I'm pretty sure I did shoot it after I bulged it.

At the end of the day I was ready to try my homemade patches. And I know for sure I rammed that one home. Because I was making sure I had it right to the witness mark.

But we had to leave after that shot.

The part about it wounding someone next to me is more than I'm willing to deal with. I couldn't live with it.

Sounds like a short starting mix-up to me, too. If it ruins the accuracy of the barrel, just buy a new barrel from a good barrel manufacturer such as Long Hammock or Rice. If it doesn't harm the accuracy, just go on using it. If you do replace it, cut off the part having the bulge and make pistol barrels from the rest.

"Sorry man, you had a very bad day"

yeah but it ewas probably one of the most intertaining shoots that many have ever had with our club so it was not all a loss.

Understandable about having a bad feeling about using a damaged barrel, this is a choice that you and only you can make one generally does not do their best if in an uncomfortable situation, which is where it sounds like you may be here if using this barrel, we have all had our "bluppers", just be thankfull that it was a harmless one to life and limb and hope that any to come will also be that type, good luck with whatever choice you make and get back on the horse and go onward, "stuff" happens and it happens a lot, but we will prevail, either by the grace of God or just plain dumb luck.

If I hadnt forgotten to cut the patch at the muzzle and had the 2' strip hanging out of the muzzle like a wind flag Id have done the same thing recently. Its easier than ya might think. :idunno:

Holy dyin'. they want $350 + s & h. And I won't see it before Jan or feb.

This ain't lookin' good.

I don't know how long it takes to build one, but this is prohibitive as far as cost and what I think it's worth goes.

Rayl barrel for less than $300. Perdersoli seems over priced.

I'll have to think some more on this.

Back