• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel bulged

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself a Green Mountain barrel. It will take some work but, you will have a much better barrel then the original.

mbokie said:
But.....my Early Lancaster has arrived. So I can immerse myself in flintlock heaven anyway. Just can't shoot.

Did you order your Early Lancaster with the wooden patchbox? I ordered the wooden patchbox on mine. It looks beautiful but is fragile appearing. I am always afraid of breaking or loosing mine. Still, it makes a beautiful rifle. However you ordered yours, if you take your time building it and finishing it, you will have one wonderful rifle.

Yeah, it's wood.

Well, I'm slow at everything. So I likely won't speed up now. :haha:

I can see that in the near future, I'll be asking you some questions. :v

Too late, the barrel is ordered and the rifle worked just fine until I messed it up.

Now that I'm attempting to build, I'm not planning to buy any more foreign guns, so there should be no further need to upgrade.

I'll just have the one and the pistols I build with the barrel. Maybe they'll just be wall hangers. :idunno: It's the wrong twist for a pistol, I'm told.

could still look into roundballs advice and have bulged barrel reamed out to a smoothie..ain't nothin wrong with a smoothie,,an beats hangin it on the wall...$100 or so, I think Roundball said? worth lookin into
jus a thought,, :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a thought and a darn fine one.

If I didn't already have a 10 gauge kit ordered, I would be looking into it.

Also, it's a long way to January. it will be very hard for a bp addict not to shoot a smokepole all that time. :(

RC said:
could still look into roundballs advice and have bulged barrel reamed out to a smoothie..ain't nothin wrong with a smoothie,,an beats hangin it on the wall...$100 or so, I think Roundball said? worth lookin into
jus a thought,, :wink:
As a reference, I sent Ed Rayl a GM 42" x 7/8" x .45cal barrel to be bored out to .50cal and had 1:66" round bottom grooves added...all that was only $135.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too belong to the shoot the rod down range club.
just wish I could have hit the target would not have felt so Stupid lol

I tapped out the sights since I was going to have to rezero it anyway, but left the barrel pin tenons right where they were.

I'm liking the idea better and better.

Is there a gauge size referenced to that?

The way Ed Rayl explained it to me, while the overall barrel size might come into play a bit, the main consideration is the threaded size and area of breechplug and mated end of the barrel...and that's why you need to discuss with somebody like Ed Rayl who knows the various barrel configurations, does that stuff for a living, etc.

As it was explained to me, the boring operation requires the breechplug to be unscrewed so the bit can pass completely through the bore end to end. The concern being that if it cuts down into the threaded area of the barrel too much, there won't be enough threads left for the breech plug to safely re-engage when its screwed back into the barrel.

For example, my GM 7/8"x 42" x .45cal barrel was terribly nose heavy, couldn't still hunt with it...called Ed to bore it out to a .54cal smooth to make it lighter, but he wouldn't bore it out that far because of the GM breech plug used in their 7/8" barrel...so I had him take it to a .50cal, with round bottom grooves instead...turned out to be a great result as it lightened it a half pound and its a proverbial tack driver.

So you really just need to call Ed Rayl or some similar top name machine shop operation...another possibility is Dennis McCandless, Custom Breeching, Los Cruces, NM...you need to discuss it with the pros who can tell you if it can even be done on that particular barrel, what your options are, etc.

Back