• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel bulged

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that will likely be the result.

I was considering cutting it off. But then, it would just like stupid.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and sell off a cf. They're safe queens at this point anyway. so I won't miss whichever I decide to sell.

New barrel :cursing: , it is.

Whaddaya gonna do? :surrender:

This is the worst possible time of year to try and get anything done quickly with hunting guns...but here a possible alternative.

If it was me, I'd at least call Ed Rayl or somebody of his caliber (no pun intended) and ask if that particular barrel could be bored out to a .54cal smoothore. It you hunt in the woods, a .54cal/.28ga smoothbore is basically as accurate as a rifle at typical woods distances, plus you'd have the versatility of also using shot loads...mine is outstanding.

Reboring it would take care of any possible bore irregularities you might currently have, and pressure up near the muzzle is dropping so low by the time a projectile/shot load gets there its not a concern...the barrel diameter in the thread area will determine whether or not he could bor it out that large, not the barrel in general.

Ed does a rebore for less than $100 bucks I think, but the question right here in September, would be if he was already backed up with weeks of work right now...anyhow, just a thought.

And a good thought it is. I never thought of that at all.

Well, someone just told me about a Jackie Brown .54 cal. It's not cheap, but I've pretty much already got some cfs all but gone to buy something new to me.

the JB used is more than the pedersoli new. but it's a lot more gun.

That would solve all my problems and I'll have something to shoot before I build one or get a new barrel.

mbokie said:
And a good thought it is. I never thought of that at all.

Well, someone just told me about a Jackie Brown .54 cal. It's not cheap, but I've pretty much already got some cfs all but gone to buy something new to me.

the JB used is more than the pedersoli new. but it's a lot more gun.

That would solve all my problems and I'll have something to shoot before I build one or get a new barrel.
Personally, at times like these its sometimes best to avoid what may appear to be a decision that appears to solve all your problems...so somebody told you about a JB gun...that's one consideration but if it was me I'd put that suggestion up on a shelf right now...and keep a full court press on looking at other options, other choices, other firearms, etc.

Is this because of a recent issue in another thread about some problems with a certain vendor?

Or because it's just sound advice?

Or both?

mbokie said:
Is this because of a recent issue in another thread about some problems with a certain vendor?

Or because it's just sound advice?

Or both?

My suggestion was based on more than that single recent thread.
Plus, anything you rush into and buy as some sort of an interim stop-gap solution that you otherwise wouldn't buy, may have its own problems under the hood, and also be very difficulat for you to resell later.

Also it needs to be remembered that at times like these its human nature to sometimes let ourselves get stampeded / pressured into making a fairly large decision quicker than maybe we should.
:wink:

A pistol barrel is a fair choice, although most pistols are 1/24 or so, while rifles are 1/60. I've seen cut down rifle barrels do credible service as a pistol.

As for loading mistakes, when at the range with a loading bench, I lay out the powder, patch, and ball, and primer/priming powder. I load the powder from the container to a measure, down the bore, the turn the measure away from me, confirming I've loaded the powder, then patch & ball.

I try to avoid chatter and small talk with others when loading. If I have a doubt about whether or not the powder was poured, I'll tilt the barrel down and dump it on the ground or shoot it out with a cap/pan primer into the air. After each loading, I run the range rod down to assure the load is "in" and the projectile is fully compressed on the powder. Before loading I'll keep the range rod tip "up," and after loading I'll put the tip down on the loading table.

Nothing is fool-proof1

This is true. I'm rushing things without thinking them through.

The guy hasn't answered me why he's selling it. So maybe there's more than meets the eye.

Maybe I'll just order the barrel, wait for my kit and go hunting with something else.

that's better than making another bad decision.

:thumbsup:

I did not know the twist rate on a pistol. That's critical info. Thanks.

I know that consistency is everything with mls. I seriously blew it. I'm still a greenhorn. And now all of you know just how green.

:redface:

I'll have to be a lot less chatty and focus like I have tunnel vision. Barrels cost too much.

mbokie said:
This is true. I'm rushing things without thinking them through.

The guy hasn't answered me why he's selling it. So maybe there's more than meets the eye.

Maybe I'll just order the barrel, wait for my kit and go hunting with something else.

that's better than making another bad decision.

fear.gif

scared.gif

Oh no!! The italian gun barrels are also dangerous! Some guy almost blew himself up!
faint2.gif

NOTE:This IS sarcasm...and how rumors start on the internet...
Sorry to hear about your barrel,it could have been a lot worse,learn from it & move on.

Well I hope not.

I had no problems with it. It was the loose nut behind the butt plate that caused the problems. :cursing:

Not even close to blowing up or anything like it. I didn't even know it was bulged until I cleaned it the next day. It was only then that I fell down kicking and bawling. :haha:

I'm reasonably sure I bulged it early on and fired it the rest of the day without incident.

Here's me moving on. Roundball convinced me to just move on and use more sense next time.

mbokie said:
We're kinda neighbours. :v

I dunno, I can't get my mind wrapped around shooting something I know is damaged.

I'm thinkin' I'll just replace it and use it to make some pistols.

I'll call one of the pistols "Bulged Barrel" another one "never forget." and another one "short start". :haha:

I have to disagree with those who say to continue using it.
The barrel is obviously damage. It is stressed at the point of the bulge and, certainly, weaker at that spot. That cannot be safe.
Please replace that barrel before shooting your rifle again.
Sorry it happened. 'stuff' happens in life, not just muzzle loading. Play it safe.

Advice I shall heed.

I'm taking it off the stock and bringing it to the shop to order my new barrel. And that will be the end of it on a rifle.

$350 is less than a new face. Which may or may not be available. Not worth the risk in any case.

mbokie said:
$350 is less than a new face
Do as you wish of course, but there would be no safety issue continuing to shoot that barrel.
And certainly none that would hurt your face...LOL

Maybe the guy next to me. But whatever the hazard may be, I won't be finding out. :wink:

Oh well, I've ordered the barrel and put down $200 as deposit. So the down side is I won't get to shoot flint until it arrives.

But.....my Early Lancaster has arrived. So I can immerse myself in flintlock heaven anyway. Just can't shoot.

mbokie said:
Advice I shall heed.

I'm taking it off the stock and bringing it to the shop to order my new barrel. And that will be the end of it on a rifle.

$350 is less than a new face. Which may or may not be available. Not worth the risk in any case.

Wise choice. :thumbsup:

Yes, and I bet there's a lot of cases where this happens, the shooter doesn't realize what happened, doesn't notice anything with the barrel and continues right on shooting just fine.

These short start things don't happen down at the breech where pressure is the greatest at the beginning of the pressure curve...they happen out at the muzzle end where pressure from future shots is always reduced down to its lowest point on the pressure curve. And until someone presents credible factual evidence why the sky is suddenly going to fall if such a barrel continues to be shot, my only concern would be whether or not accuracy suffered.

As humans we sometimes fall victim to the sky-is-falling syndrome whenever we lack facts and knowledge about something like this because of "fear of the unknown"...understandable...but reality is whoever makes these claims need to supply 'facts' on why there would be a safety issue continuing to shoot that barrel...not speculation, not conjecture, not scared old wives tales...just the facts of why it couldn't continue to be used even though its location is way out at the end of the pressure curve.

Given the circumstances, if it was me I'd shoot it to see if it was still accurate and if so not worry about it, or, if it wasn't accurate, see about having it rebored...

Robby, your tale reminds me os a tee shirt I saw awarded at a shoot several years ago. It was printed with

"Powder"
"Patch"
"Ball"

upside down on the front of the shirt. You could look down and be reminded of the proper order of operations. The first recipient got to pass it along as the day progressed.

White Fox

Back