• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear vs .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, haven't been on much lately dealing with some issues. But my uncle finally shot a bear this past week up in New Brunswick with the flinter I built him. He's passed up a few the last couple of years trying for a big one but I told him enough is enough and if he got a good shot to take one this year.

It's not huge by no means, dressed out at 125 lb but it was a good shot and showed what a .58 can do. At 14 yards the .570 ball on top of 100 gr of 3F entered the left shoulder, went through the bone, through the lungs and into the right shoulder, deflected and exited through the ribs on the right side. The whole thing was captured on video. The bear collapsed right there rolled over and gave up the ghost. It is his first flintlock kill.

unclesbear061208.jpg

Way, way cool, both the rifle and the experience. No need to apologize for the size of the bear. In this old time bear noshers opinion, those in that size range are the most "toothsome" of the bunch. Tell him not to waste a scrap of it!

Any bear is a good bear with a flintlock. Shot one about that size two years ago. It did eat good.

Nice Bear. The rifle looks sharp as well. Can you give us some details on the rifle.

PJC

That is one dandy rifle SR! In spite of the large bore, all the pics sure make it look like it's very well balanced. That's not easy to achieve based on the various 58's I've handled. You may not feel it's up to pro standards, but I sure can't tell that from the pics.

Congratulations to your uncle on the bear, and to you on what looks like a superb rifle! :hatsoff:

Swampy, Congrats to your Uncle on a nice bear. That is a nice lookin' rifle vou put together also,he is a lucky man. :hatsoff:

nice meat kill plan to try and hunt bear myself with a flinter or longbow...nice flinter, anyway to get the video on here?

Swamprat. I had a chance to check out the details on the rifle and your web page. I really enjoyed it. Great stuff.

Pat Cameron.

Congrats to your uncle, but if you can build guns like that why are you carrying one of Roy's?!?! :hmm:

Back